July 2011 Moms

Do you tip the chef at Benihana? Non-clicky

DH and I went to Benihana for lunch yesterday to use his birthday certificate. Of course, we always tip the server based on the original amount of the bill. I always assumed that the server split his tips with the chef but I honestly hadn't given it much thought.

As we were leaving, I saw a couple slip the chef a tip. Now I wonder if that is proper etiquette and I feel a little ashamed. Should I be tipping the chef?

Do you tip the chef at Benihana?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do you tip the chef at Benihana? Non-clicky

• imagecburitz:

DH and I went to Benihana for lunch yesterday to use his birthday certificate. Of course, we always tip the server based on the original amount of the bill. I always assumed that the server split his tips with the chef but I honestly hadn't given it much thought.

As we were leaving, I saw a couple slip the chef a tip. Now I wonder if that is proper etiquette and I feel a little ashamed. Should I be tipping the chef?

Do you tip the chef at Benihana?

Everywhere I worked/served during school this was always the case! 

The only time we tipped a chef in personal was on a vacation in Mexico where he made us a special meal and came to our table to visit and ask how everything was - other than that I probably wouldn't, but that's just me!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, this isn't exactly the same, but when we go to this Mongolian Barbecue place where they prepare the food in front of us, we give the chef a tip. Not the same percentage as a server though, because the chefs definitely make more hourly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We always tip the Chef and don't tip the waiter a lot. We go there a lot and with all of our experiences the waiters barely ever do anything (even slow on drink refills ect.), the chef in my opinion does all the work!  
  • I guess I figured they always shared the tips.  When I go to a Japanese Steakhouse I have never tipped the chef!
  • We used to go to benihana a lot when I lived back in michigan and we would request our favorite chef. We would also tip him. Not alot, just a five but he appreciated it.
  • imageedsgirl99:
    We always tip the Chef and don't tip the waiter a lot. We go there a lot and with all of our experiences the waiters barely ever do anything (even slow on drink refills ect.), the chef in my opinion does all the work!  

I guess that is why I always assumed the server splits his tips with the chef. Otherwise, the servers must make a killing there!

• imagePirateGirl04:
    I guess I figured they always shared the tips.  When I go to a Japanese Steakhouse I have never tipped the chef!

Me too! I've never seen anyone tip the chef... Now I feel bad. 

• I have had this dicussion a lot and have never found the proper answer. So we just stick with what I said above!
  • Huh, I never thought about it. I just assumed they split the tips... I know at restaurants where they have busboys, the servers have to give a small portion of their tips to them, but it's not split even. I wonder if this is the setup at Benihanna, with the majority of tips left going to the chef? Or maybe they just pay the chefs really well, and the tips really do go to the waiters? If anyone has first hand knowledge, I'd be interested to know.

• if the chef is good aka puts on a good show we always tip.
  • I always assumed they split tips too, so we just give an extra-good tip so that they have enough to share. I hope they split it! It seems like they would though...lots of people pay with credit card and don't carry cash, so it makes sense to me that they would split! I feel bad now too if that isn't the case.

And now I want Japanese food. :)

DD1 June 2011
    DD2 Due January 2015
  • We always tip the chef.  They are putting on a show and should be compensated for it.  Plus- the actual servers usually suck at their job.
    image. image. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • aesfaesf member

imageedsgirl99:
    We always tip the Chef and don't tip the waiter a lot. We go there a lot and with all of our experiences the waiters barely ever do anything (even slow on drink refills ect.), the chef in my opinion does all the work!  

The waiter.. who is probably has WAY too many tables is making $2.15 an hour.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • i *ONLY* tip based upon service and performance. if there is a dining situation like this where it is questionable how tips are divided, i inquire and then tip accordingly. it always amazes me when there is a tip jar for someone who say, only takes your order (doesnt prepare your food, serve your food, etc.) of course, this is off topic from OP so my apologies. i am super sentsitive to people expecting tips. my husband used to work for tips and he literally workkkkkked to earn them. 
    imageimage
  • imageMeg&Pete:
    We always tip the chef.  They are putting on a show and should be compensated for it.  Plus- the actual servers usually suck at their job.

ITA this is usually the situation!

• aesfaesf member

imageMrs Case:
    i *ONLY* tip based upon service and performance. if there is a dining situation like this where it is questionable how tips are divided, i inquire and then tip accordingly. it always amazes me when there is a tip jar for someone who say, only takes your order (doesnt prepare your food, serve your food, etc.) of course, this is off topic from OP so my apologies. i am super sentsitive to people expecting tips. my husband used to work for tips and he literally workkkkkked to earn them. 

Me too! i worked at an icecream parlor and htey had a tip jar out i was shocked at how many people tipped us.  Honestly, i didn't think we deserved tips (i men unles you had a party of 16).  Scoop, scoop dip; I think my 10 bucks an hour cash covered that.

ETA: if i worked alone i didnt put it out.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic baby development
    SURPRISE! Here comes #3! 
  • At Benihana's, the tips are shared with everyone involved in "customer service". The chefs make more per hour than the servers do. The servers also have to tip share. They must give 8% of their gross sales to the chef, 6% of their alcohol sales to the bartender, 6% of their sushi sales to the sushi bar, and 1% of their gross sales to the busboys. This tipshare is required regardless of whether or not the server is tipped. This means that for everyone who does not tip their server (or do not tip an appropriate percentage of the bill), the server has to pay to take care of those individuals. The servers have to share their tips with everyone, but if the chef or bartender is tipped on the side, they are not required to share the tips with the server. With this tipping policy in place, servers are lucky to make minimum wage at this upscale restaurant. People have made more money working at a cheap mexican restaurants in one day than I have after working in three days over there. For example, in order for the server to receive a $5.00 tip on a $100.00 check (if the person tips at all), the total tip must be $14.00 for the server to receive this amount for a tip. When the person leaves no tip, the server must pay $9.00 out of their own pocket to cover the tipshare.    
  • Wow. You joined TB just so you could comment on a 2+ year old thread? Hmm.
    imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"