Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

PB&J

When did you first give your LO pb&j sandwich? I know DD doesn't have an allergy so I'm wondering should I just go for it or give her bites of mine. I'm really asking b/c I want one or two sooo bad but we eat together and she will definitely want some, and since we normally eat the same things I want to make sure I'm not getting ahead of myself. TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PB&J

• Options
    I think most things are fair game after age one...I have read things however that say to wait till age 3 for PB, but that may be if there is a history of allergies...Our families have no food allergy history, however, so IDK 100%...

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I let DS try one a little before his 1st birthday. He didn't like, and still doesn't, but no reaction.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageangelproberts:

When did you first give your LO pb&j sandwich? I know DD doesn't have an allergy so I'm wondering should I just go for it or give her bites of mine. I'm really asking b/c I want one or two sooo bad but we eat together and she will definitely want some, and since we normally eat the same things I want to make sure I'm not getting ahead of myself. TIA!

How do you know DD doesn't have an allergy if you didn't give her a taste yet?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think she had it around 16 months. I let daycare do it. She had had peanut butter before so I wasn't worried about a reaction, more worried about choking since pb is so sticky.
  • Options
    imagedragon_chica:
    imageangelproberts:

My mother (queen of all snacks) gave her some candy with peanut butter in it and there was no reaction.

• Options
    imageangelproberts:
    imagedragon_chica:
    imageangelproberts:

My mother (queen of all snacks) gave her some candy with peanut butter in it and there was no reaction.

Well, then shoot, why the hesitation?  She already had some and is clearly fine so go for it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would say if she you know for sure she doesnt have the allergy you can give her a small amount. I would just watch for choking.. PB is sometimes hard to swallow for youngsters

Baby girl #2 on the way! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagedragon_chica:
    imageangelproberts:
    imagedragon_chica:
    imageangelproberts:

Well, then shoot, why the hesitation?  She already had some and is clearly fine so go for it!

Actually.. it takes the body more than once to cause a reaction... your body has to be exposed to it atleast once and then develop antibodies to it.. it doesn't happen on the first try... I believe with peanut butter.. the age is 2.  With family history.. I believe it is age 3. 

Can you tell I'm a highly allergic person myself?  I'm also a teacher and can't believe how many kids we now have that are allergic to peanuts. Incredibly dangerous.. life threatening allergies... very scary.

• Options

I agree with PP that if your DD has only had it 1 time, that doesn't mean she is in the clear for an allergy.

I asked my Pedi if I should try pb with DS in their office, and she told me that the first time it might cause an allergic reaction at all, so it isn't necessary to try it in the office.  It might not cause a reaction until the 3, 4, or even 5th time.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would say wait until 2. My DD has to wait until 3 even though she is not allergic (negative on blood and skin test) as she does have an egg allergy. Why dont you give her a grilled cheese and you a peanut butter sandwich. She will think shes eating the same thing.
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    imageangelproberts:
    imagedragon_chica:
    imageangelproberts:

DD was accidentally given PB in a snack and our pedi said that once they are introduced to it you need to keep giving it to them.  He had wanted us to wait until2 yrs even though there isn't a family history of allergies to PB.  She had some around 14-15 months so we started giving her PB&J sandwiches occassionally for lunch and she loves them.

• Options
    Before a year. I want to say she was eating PB&J's at around 11 months or so. The PB was really thin on the sandwich.
  • Options
    I started giving DS PB&J around 13 or 14 months.  He eats it a couple times a week for lunch.  Spread it thinly, so it's easier to chew and swallow. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    imagebridgeybride:
    imagedragon_chica:
    imageangelproberts:
    imagedragon_chica:
    imageangelproberts:

Actually.. it takes the body more than once to cause a reaction... your body has to be exposed to it atleast once and then develop antibodies to it.. it doesn't happen on the first try... I believe with peanut butter.. the age is 2.  With family history.. I believe it is age 3. 

Can you tell I'm a highly allergic person myself?  I'm also a teacher and can't believe how many kids we now have that are allergic to peanuts. Incredibly dangerous.. life threatening allergies... very scary.

Just because she had it once with no reaction doesn't mean she's not allergic.  DD didn't have a reaction until her 3rd try, and she is most definitely allergic.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelynsef:
    imageangelproberts:
    imagedragon_chica:
    imageangelproberts:

DD was accidentally given PB in a snack and our pedi said that once they are introduced to it you need to keep giving it to them.  He had wanted us to wait until2 yrs even though there isn't a family history of allergies to PB.  She had some around 14-15 months so we started giving her PB&J sandwiches occassionally for lunch and she loves them.

Well I guess I have to keep giving it to her. She had a pb&j sandwich (both spread very thinly on bread) and she has had no reaction as of yet. I will call her pedi to make sure I haven't poisoned her (j/k). No really, I will definitely keep an eye on her. Thanks for all of your responses and advice.

• Options
    My mom watched Colin over a weekend when DH and I went out of town.  It was about 2 weeks before his first birthday.  I could have killed her, but she gave him some PB&J, HONEY nut cherrios, and I don't remember what else.   I worried because DH has a lot of allergies, but luckily he took after me and was fine with it all.  I was still mad as all get.   Mom just said she didn't think anything of it, because she gave me and my sisters the same stuff when we were that age.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"