Philadelphia Babies
Options

Napping on mats at daycare

My 18 month old is starting daycare in a few weeks. I can't imagine how he will take a nap on a mat on the floor around other kids. But I assume it works since that's how it's done at most places.  Am I worrying for nothing?

Re: Napping on mats at daycare

• Options
    Yes, he will be fine.  The teachers are used to showing the kids how to use them and once he sees everyone else, he will be much more willing to go along.  Don't worry!
  • Options
    I thought they were crazy for thinking that LO's would sleep on rest mats at 18 months.  Sure enough, they can do it!  Plus, it makes the transition to a big kid bed sooooo much easier for you!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD started at 14 months, I thought the idea of toddlers all sleeping next to each other at that age was crazy, but it works! They say it's the peer pressure, every kid has done fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am a Director of a Child Care Center & it really is not a problem transitioning the children to a mat at the center.  The teachers usually sit with the child & rub their backs to relax them.  Also the first few days are so exciting for the child-so much to see & do!!  They are "wiped out" by naptime!!  They fall asleep very quickly.  Just ask the teachers what how they will help your child to rest on the mat.  I know my teachers have been with me for a LONG time, so they have it down pat!!  Big Smile
  • Options
    I am a teacher from 2 yr olds at a center and all parents are surprised that the kids sleep on nap mats. They follow what the others do and they are so tired from the day's activities, they are happy to lay down and rest! The teachers also pat their backs and calm them with songs and books. =)
  • Options
    Thanks
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagetan2410:
    I am a Director of a Child Care Center & it really is not a problem transitioning the children to a mat at the center.  The teachers usually sit with the child & rub their backs to relax them.  Also the first few days are so exciting for the child-so much to see & do!!  They are "wiped out" by naptime!!  They fall asleep very quickly.  Just ask the teachers what how they will help your child to rest on the mat.  I know my teachers have been with me for a LONG time, so they have it down pat!!  Big Smile

I was just going to reply to the OP and saw your post...I'm a child care director too and was going to give the same answer.  :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"