October 2011 Moms
Options

Who's breastfeeding? Who's not?

I'm undecided.  Thoughts?  Input?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Who's breastfeeding? Who's not?

• Options
    I am. Although unlikely exclusively. I plan to introduce bottles very early and pump. My goal is to make it to six months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would love to... although I am a little scared... when I hear stories of how difficult it can be and painful.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will be.  I've already started lurking on the breastfeeding board and have read "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding".  This is a big goal of mine and I'm hoping to make it through my full year of mat leave.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I plan to try. I also want to mostly be pumping after a couple of weeks of "bonding"...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I definitely 100% want to...if my body lets me!! I also plan on pumping and doing bottle/breast so my husband (and others) will be able to feed him/her! I definitely want H involved as much as he wants to be!
  • Options

I, too, have the goal of making it six months with breastfeeding. There is something, in my opinion, that is so sweet about loooking down and seeing my baby right there. It was such a great bonding moment.

I had an issue drinking enough water. And I think my diet really affected my DD's gas issue. I pumped so that MH was also able to feed. I didn't want to be greedy with my milk and keep him from that special bonding time.

I was also told by a good friend that making sure to pump helped with mastitus concerns and kept the body trying to keep up a certain production amount. I did not, in the three sucessful months of BF, ever encounter mastitus. I was SOOOOO thankful.

It is a personal choice. I did feel a lot of stress in the first week. My nipples HURT so very badly, and no matter how much Lasinoh cream I put on, I was crying at times. It's not easy to start, but it's such a great way to bond.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I am definitely going to try it out.  I will likely combine breast and bottle feeding (using pumped breast milk).  To me, the bonding is just as important for MH so I want him to have the opportunity to feed.  Most importantly to me is feeding breast milk and NOT formula. 
  • Options
    *Bre**Bre* member
    I will. I lasted 6 months with my son, and woudl have liked to make it to a year, but it wasn't in the cards and my supply tanked. I'm looking forward to correcting some of the early mistakes I think I made (not pumping right away, supplementing with formula, not drinking enough water)
  • Options

I plan to try, but also pump (I'll probably be going back to work and want him/her to be used to a bottle before I go). I'm a little worried, though because my sister has been unable to produce enough for all 3 of her boys, so she had to switch to formula within the first month. Also, my breasts are tender anyway, I can only imagine...

But, yes, I plan to try.

My Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    SAIF Always Welcome
    Diagnosed with PCOS: 10/03, On BCP to "treat" until: 7/09
    Provera to end Cycles 1-9 (anovulatory)
    Cycle #4 & 5: Clomid 50 mg FAIL
    RE Visit: 2000 mg Metformin
    Cycle 6:Forced Break, looking for androgen secreting tumor
    Cycle 7:Clomid CD 3-10, 12-17 FAIL
    Cycle 8: Clomid CD 3-10, Bravelle CD 12-24 Hyperstimmed
    New RE: Put on Byetta, lost 23 lbs
    Cycle 9: Financial Break
    Cycle 10: Femara CD 3-7, IUI CD 17 BFP on 2/14/11, m/c 3/7/11
  • Options
    I'm still on the fence.  I just have a lot of factors to consider. 
  • Options
    I definitely want to BF as much as possible. However, I plan on going back to work after 8-10 weeks, so I'm going to start pumping before that, so our LO can get used to a bottle. I'll still BF when LO is not at daycare. This is actually one of the things I'm most excited for!
  • Options

I will breastfeed/pump as long as humanly possible.  I made it to 6 months exclusively on breast milk with DS (I work full time so had to pump), then we still nursed twice a day until about 7 months and once a day until 9 months.  He grew big and strong and was very healthy while he was on BM.  Once he was off is when he got his first cold and has had several cases of croupe since then. 

I'm having twins and have no idea how that will compare to nursing a singleton....

• Options
    I will most likely be pumping and bottle feeding breast milk. My son was born early and we had problems breast feeding because I couldn't in the hospital (he was tube/cup fed a breast milk formula mix). I pumped and supplemented with formula for a couple months but I never really produced enough to EBF. Being a SAHM to a very active 4 year old boy I don't know what I would do with him while breast feeding as he won't sit down and watch tv or a movie quietly. If I were pumping I could stop what I was doing, help him with something, then go back to pumping.
  • Options
    I plan to breastfeed, if and when I get the chance. My family has always been very pro breastfed babies. Moms an ob nurse who advocates it daily and I used to work at a breastfeeding center. I was breastfed until I was two, and if my supply warrants I plan to do the same with my own children.
  • Options

I bBF my both DD and DS and will this one also.  The 1st one DS  was a rough start just because your nipples can get really sore, but once that stopped it went great. W/ both i had to get a pacifier in the hospital becaue nipples could not handle all the sucking they wanted to do. I BF Ds until he was 15 months.  My DD didn't not as long but it was much easier to get started with her she BF for 10 months.  With both of mine at about 1month old  I introduced a bottle and formula for supplemental feeding so I could have more freedom. I would say 75-80% breastmilk the rest was formula.  It also worked well because I hated  pumping and after about 1-2 months of starting the bottles I never had leaking problems if I didn't pump.  It was also nice to supplement with formula because If they were being baby-sat and I was running late or didn't leave enough breast milk grandma or Dh could make a bottle.  If you introduce bottle much before 1month it can interfere w/ BF though.

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options

We will be EBF. I am super excited about this.

I made a few mistakes with DD that I can look back on will try not to make the same mistakes again.

I am looking forward to bonding with the new baby.

M

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13 Anniversary pregnancy calendar Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family
  • Options
    I hope to.  I will pump so DH can feed the baby as well and because I will be going back to work pretty quickly and I want the baby used to bottles before he/she starts daycare.  I used to work in daycare and I never understood the parents who sent babies in on their first day, never having had a bottle, and then got upset with us because their baby wouldn't drink anything all day.  
  • Options

imageBbelle88:
    I plan to try. I also want to mostly be pumping after a couple of weeks of "bonding"...

This.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I will again definitely!  It was the most challenging, amazing, wonderful, beautiful experience ever.  I plan to do it for a year, just like I did with Luke.
  • Options
    I am!  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am planning on it.
  • Options
    I plan on doing it and I am aiming for a year. I will be a SAHM so that makes it a bit easier.
    I heart Ben!!
    October 11, 2008
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Trusty Gal blog|Trusty Tales
  • Options
    My goal is to do it, but I don't know how well it will be after I go back to work.
    imageimageimage
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I made it a full year with my DD. I was bound and determined.  I'm really so glad I did it was the best thing.  I also pumped and let DH feed her also but she was a real pro having no problems with bottle to nipple/nipple to bottle.  We introduced the bottle like at 4 days because DH was wanting to feed her so bad.  So even if the book says don't do it or baby won't take nipple back that is not always the fact.  She also had a paci which they also say will ruin breastfeeding...  If anyone has any questions just let me know i will be glad to give any advice i can.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I will most certainly be breastfeeding I breastfed my daughter until she was 18 months she was also bottle trained after 8 weeks. I loved the bonding with her and I am hoping to have great success with this baby.

Heather

DS- Brenden born 11/13/93 Missed miscarriage on March 6, 2007 @ 9 weeks D&C on March 8th 2007. Riley Annalise born 2/25/08 ( 3 weeks early weighing 8 lbs 12.8 oz.) Chemical pregnancy 3/2010. Sydney Adriana born sleeping on 9/30/11 weighing 10lbs 3 oz at 38wks 4 days. Trinity Alivia born via c section at 36 wks 4 days weighing 9 lbs. 5.7 oz. She is our amazing rainbow baby!!! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PGAL buddy drvst8
  • Options
    I plan on BF, and will pump when I have to go back to work.

Married 08/18/07
    BFP 02/15/11 EDD 10/27/11 Born at 35w3d on 09/25/11 
    BFP 10/13/12 EDD 06/25/13 Born at 37w0d on 06/04/13

BFP 12/11/15 EDD 08/23/16 Early miscarriage

BFP 02/02/16 EDD 10/16/16

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

imageBbelle88:

It may seem easier in theory, but nursing is SO much easier than pumping!  And more comfortable, too.  I do realize every woman has her own agenda though, not judging....I had thought pumping would be so easy and it wasn't.  Had I been able to strictly nurse, we would have made it to the goal one-year mark, I'm sure.

• Options
    I plan on bf for as long as possible, pumping once I go back to work.  I know it will be painful but worthwhile in the end.
  • Options
    Just so everyone knows, as good as it is to BF, things don't always work out as you may think.  I planned on being EBF through my pregnancy but when it came time it just didn't work.  I BF'd a month and couldn't figure out why my baby was never satisfied.  Finally one day I realized it was because I just didn't produce very much milk and she switched to formula.  What a life savor that was.  Knowing now what I didn't know then I certainly won't be trying again.  One child is time consuming enough but come October when I have a 17 month old and a newborn there certainly won't be any time to sit on the couch all day bf'ing while running after a young toddler as well.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby #5 due 12.31.15

• Options

image*Bre*:
    I will. I lasted 6 months with my son, and woudl have liked to make it to a year, but it wasn't in the cards and my supply tanked. I'm looking forward to correcting some of the early mistakes I think I made (not pumping right away, supplementing with formula, not drinking enough water)

Same here. I only made it four months with DS so I will try to get at least a year this time. My supply tanked also but I had big problems with latching for a while too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am definitely not.

I cant due to medication I take and cannot stop.  It kind of sucks to miss out on the bonding, etc. but I am most annoyed that I cant BF because formula is effing expensive!   and it seems that people that breastfeed zip down to their pre-pregnancy weight much faster.  oh well.  

• Options
    My plan is to give it my best shot, because I really want to.
  • Options

imagemoviesprincess:
    I plan on doing it and I am aiming for a year. I will be a SAHM so that makes it a bit easier.

This for me, as well!

BFP on 2/21/11 - Expecting #1 on 11/4/11!!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I will not be and didn't with DD either. I have a thyroid condition that has me on medication that is unsafe for breast feeding. My endocrinologist advised me not to... If I chose to my baby would need monthly blood tests to check thyroid function and I just can't justify putting him/her through that. Unfortunately my decision was made for me...
    SAHM to the sweetest little girl and boy... I love my job!

Praying for Baby Camryn
    Praying for Baby Scarlett
    Remembering Baby Adam
  • Options
    I don't have a plan for how long yet, but I will be breastfeeding. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My little CHD warrior. Born 9/29/11. Got his new heart 10/20/11

BLOG :] & Shaping Up Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm still breastfeeding DD. The first 2 weeks were AWFUL. There were a million times I thought I wouldn't be able to stick with it, but I'm glad I did. It's an amazing experience and so much easier than bottle feeding. My advice is find a good lactation consultant. The 2 in my local hospital were not helpful at all but thankfully my doula recommended a 3rd for me to try. She saved it for me!
  • Options
    I definitely want to.  I've talked to friends that have breastfed and they rave about it.  They also don't sugarcoat it- I expect it to be difficult at first!  I would like to pump as well.  I want to get some books on the subject to educate myself more.

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP # 1 2/5/11 DD born September 2011
    BFP #2 12/21/13 CP 12/29/13
    BFP# 3 1/11/15 EDD 9/15/15
  • Options

We will  breastfeed for at least a year probably longer.

Everyone who is going to breastfeed should check out la leche league  https://www.llli.org/

they have tons of helpful information and help with breastfeeding

A lot of the information on breast feeding is myth and they have a ton of information on what is true and how to fix a lot of the issues with breastfeeding. 

BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Our son died at 16weeks 6days on September 22, 2010 The greatest thing you?ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return" ~ Moulin Rouge My Blog
  • Options

Nope. Even though the doc claims the meds I am on are safe even though they are known to be secreted through breast milk, there haven't been enough studies to fully prove to DH & myself that they will be harmless. There are so many instances where doctors claim a drug is safe only to find out 10-15 years later that it isn't. It's just a risk we are not willing to take.

Even if I wasn't on these meds, I would pump & then bottle feed. I think it's important to have the baby bond with both parents from the start instead of bonding mostly with the mom b/c she is BF-ing.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • Options

I plan on EBF for at least the 1st 6 months.  After that I will head back to work and plan on pumping.  I'd like to keep LO on BM as long as possible for his/her health and for mine. 

Breastfeeding burns something like 600 calories a day.  No wonder the weight can be quicker to disappear.  

BFP #1 - Missed M/C, D&C 3.21.11

BFP #2 - Sylvie V. Q. born and died on 10.28.11 at 21w. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP #3 - Evie V. Q. Fetal demise @ 16w. DC 7.8.12
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP  #4 - Beatrix V. Q. Born 6.2.13 at 23w6d.

My blog My chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"