Adoption

Re: Open adoption from an adoption counselor's perspective

• Options

Thanks for sharing the link. Interesting article, and now I'm checking out a bunch of the other adoption related links. :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Moved to Domestic Adoption 9/09 Matched 10/09 Sweet little Luke was born 12/9/09!
  • Options

Good article and her advice "points" are good too. True open adoption is tough stuff but there can be so many blessings  too.  My biggest piece of advice to anyone seeking an open adoption, in which you have an ongoing relationship & contact with the birth family, is to make your expectations clear & set boundaries from the start while also continually having an open mind because things can and will change. Be honest & sensitive to everyones feelings involved while always, always putting your child's best interest at the forefront. If that means ending openness that had previously been agreed upon, then that is what needs to happen. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This actually has perfect timing! We just got our typed up homestudy back yesterday. All was good, until I came to the point where it mentioned possible unforseen trouble. The social worker mentioned we may be nieve concerning the  relationship with birth parents in an open adoption.

Um... what? All I remember saying is that I think it would be best for our child to know his/her parents or at least have some form of communication with them. Obviously, if my child's biological parents are not healthy individuals the contact will be more limited and aspects will be omitted until much later in the child's life.

I keep telling myself that she had to list something here, so this was an easy thing to write because technically I cannot forsee what my relationship with be with future BP. But no one can. Which, in my opinion, makes it a moot point.

Beginning Adoption Process July 2010 sarahssarcasm.blogspot.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"