Parenting
Options

Bad guys and fighting...anyone change their mind on this stuff?

I swore up and down my kid wouldn't be into "violent play." But lo and behold, that's what 5 year old boys do. Or 4 year old boys. I guess I can see now that we're there that it's really a healthy outlet and clearly the nature of most boys. E's been showing me his power rangers moves and stuff, lol. I guess I'm not as concerned with his desire to pretend to sword fight as I thought I'd be. It's one of those "you don't know until you're there" things for me.

No toy guns, though...(yet?)

Re: Bad guys and fighting...anyone change their mind on this stuff?

• Options

i never changed my mind :)  it was already made up that the boys were natural super heroes in training.  no play guns though.  well, not in the traditional sense.  there is all this ultra weapontry attachement with the ironman action figures.  and their wolverine guys have the claw attachments.  those are just the ones i'm thinking of off the top of my head. i'm sure there are light sabres with the star wars stuff too.

so yeah i guess they have play guns (they are little action figure sized and destroy sooo much more). and i read a comic book as a bedtime story tonight...i think it's too late to change my mind. 

Patty Matt 4/7/05 and Sean 12/14/06 image
  • Options

It is just part of them, it woul be like throwing a fit when they want to dress up  an play with make up.  They are exploring and experimenting. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep.  I grew up with sisters, so the superhero fighting thing was so foreign to me.  My boys are just now really getting into it, and it is so fun to listen to their conversations when they play.  Even my 1 year old gets into it.  "I be Batman!  You be bad guy!"  They love their play swords, but we won't be buying toy guns anytime soon.
  • Options
    I was never dead set against it.  I had brothers; I know how they are.  I admit I was bit shocked when my son came home and wanted to "shoot" anyone and everything. "I shoot it." He does go to daycare.  It would have been impossible for me to keep him away, some of these boys have older brothers.  We own a couple of water guns (it was "required" for an event DD attended) but that is all and he's never seen a shooting movie/show.  He doesn't even use the water guns but in the bath but uses his hand "to shoot."   He does love batman but has never seen the movie.  It is weird how boys gravitate.  DS2 has much more boy toys available to him than DS1 did.  I can see it in him already....there is something to "boys will be boys." 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm sorry, but this post makes me laugh.   :)

I won't even tell you my flameworthy stuff.  I would be nestie blacklisted!

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

I have absolutely NO problem with it.

Even little kid "fighting" promotes teamwork, strategy, patience (you HAVE to be quiet and wait in an ambush situation), interperonal problem solving (working out the fights) and learning to lose.

The "AGRESSION" part of it is easily handled by good conversation with the parents. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    I was never against superheroes and fighting -- that's a losing battle! Why limit the creativity, anyway? We don't have any toy guns, though, except for water guns. Who knows if that will change.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was never against them, but this stuff must be inborn. J is full on into it at 2. He runs around the house shooting everything he can with his fingers and doing his king fu karate chops. We don't own any guns yet (always said i would not), but he uses his fingers or anything else he can find so i will probably end up buying him a nerf gun I mean what is the difference?
  • Options

I have never been against it eiher- boys will be boys. My DS was turning everything into a gun when he was younger. Now that he is older he doesn't do that anymore and  they are less about violence and more about his imaginary play -which I encourage as he is not violent.

Flamey part: He actually has what we call the "weapons box." It is a long storage container that fits under his bed that stores all his swords, nerf guns, light sabers etc. Last summer he brought it out to play and within a half hour literally every boy in the neighborhood, of all ages, was in my yard digging through it. Like moths to a flame.....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMayorMcCheese000:

Flamey part: He actually has what we call the "weapons box." It is a long storage container that fits under his bed that stores all his swords, nerf guns, light sabers etc. Last summer he brought it out to play and within a half hour literally every boy in the neighborhood, of all ages, was in my yard digging through it. Like moths to a flame.....

The more you post, the more I want to be your neighbor.  We could be besties.  Wait, do you drink, right?

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    imager9stedt:
    imageMayorMcCheese000:

The more you post, the more I want to be your neighbor.  We could be besties.  Wait, do you drink, right?

Do I drink??? Hahaha -um yes. And I would LOVE to be your neighbor!

• Options

I love that you people are STILL justifying with the whole "but no toy guns!"  Oh no.  No toy guns.  Well, maybe a water gun. But it's a water gun and those are safe.  I mean, those won't *really* kill people the way a real toy gun would.

I laugh at you.  I laugh at all of you!

• Options
    imageJodi&Joe:

I love that you people are STILL justifying with the whole "but no toy guns!"  Oh no.  No toy guns.  Well, maybe a water gun. But it's a water gun and those are safe.  I mean, those won't *really* kill people the way a real toy gun would.

Snort. Yeah, 'cause I'd take parenting advice from you. Don't worry -- I laugh at you too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageaugust06mom:
    imageJodi&Joe:

Snort. Yeah, 'cause I'd take parenting advice from you. Don't worry -- I laugh at you too.

I laugh at myself too -- it's part of my charm!  ;)

• Options
    DS is constantly turning everything into a gun. He loves to wrestle and sword fight and all that 'violent' play. I guess it's just part of being a boy. I don't really get it.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagecjcouple:
    imageJodi&Joe:

lol - I will let my boys have guns.  It just was not something we had gotten yet. I actually looked at the nerf ones this christmas but the pieces were still small forLucas and he would eat/bite them. Next year probably!  I wish they made cap guns still, I loved those growing up.

You can still buy cap guns- DS has a few- I think DH ordered them online. NEST HELL here I come!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"