Multiples

Catholic MoM's - question

Did you choose one set of Godparents for each baby or one set for both babies?

I know I have a while to think about it but they were talking about it on my birth month board today and I was just wondering what you all did?! I have slim pickin's in my choice of Godparents....

Thanks! 

photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Baby Girl #3!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Catholic MoM's - question

• Different Godparents, but sort of interwined...

Let me explain:

Harry's Godmother is K (cousin); Godfather is J1

Alex's Godmother is B and Godfather is J2 (cousin)

J1 and B are married to each other - they are old family friends.

Hope that makes sense.

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • just an FYI - it's not just Catholics who do Godparents- it's most Christians.

We have 2 sets of Godparents for each twin - they are different people, they deserve their own Godparents, IMO.

• Loading the player...
  • We also had slim-ish pickings, so here's what we did. (In my family, we only use family members, and generally try to get one from each side of the family. For instance, my godparents are my mom's brother and my dad's sister.)

But since I only have 2 siblings, and DH is an only child, we did:

Linus - Brother, SIL

Oliver - DH's uncle; my sister

Miles - Sister, BIL

So my sister has 2 of the boys, my brother has one, and my siblings-in-law each have one. And DH's uncle has one.

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • imageGoldie_Locks_5:

just an FYI - it's not just Catholics who do Godparents- it's most Christians.

We have 2 sets of Godparents for each twin - they are different people, they deserve their own Godparents, IMO.

If you are being baptised as Catholic at least 1 of the godparents also has to be Catholic making things a little more complicated.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • We selected two different sets...one for each baby.  Also all four people are Catholic and thus will be true godparents and not just sponsors.
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH & I grew up catholic but are now Presbyterian. We chose 2 sets of Godparents. I have 2 sisters, 1 brother- he has 2 brothers, 1 sister, with us having 3 kids it all worked out nicely for 3 "sets" :)
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageHopeful1!:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

If you are being baptised as Catholic at least 1 of the godparents also has to be Catholic making things a little more complicated.

Yikes - I didn't know this and we will be baptizing Catholic. This makes things REALLY complicated for me then. DH and I each have one brother, that's it. No SIL's, sisters, anything. My brother is Catholic, his is not. And for Godmothers...yikes...I have no idea....

Anyways I'm glad you said that. I'll have to this about it! 

photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageHopeful1!:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

i understand that - but her question was about having one or two sets.... which is the same for anyone picking Godparents with twins. 

• imageKristen61607:
    imageHopeful1!:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

Yikes - I didn't know this and we will be baptizing Catholic. This makes things REALLY complicated for me then. DH and I each have one brother, that's it. No SIL's, sisters, anything. My brother is Catholic, his is not. And for Godmothers...yikes...I have no idea....

Not just a baptized Catholic, has to be a practicing Catholic.  I believe they have to get a letter or a form from their current parish.

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
  • Our kids have the same godparents
  • We did different sets for each DD just b/c we have a huge family and so we went w/ my sister and her hubby for G and my SIL and my brother for E.

I saw in your post that you had slim pickins so just IMO, if one set for both is more sentimental/best for you and your LOs, go for it! It's whatever you decide.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We decided that our girls would have the same Godparents.  In my family the children tend to be treated extra special by thier Godparents.   In DH's, it's not a big deal at all. So by picking the same set we know that one won't be treated differently than the other.  All 3 of my girls have the same God Father...my step-dad.

Also, we did not have to have anything saying the Catholic Godparent is practicing.  I think it depends on the church.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • We are choosing the same Godparents for both twins.  We are having them baptized at my grandparent's church out-of-state (it's admittedly more for my grandparents than it is for us), and so it would be difficult to wrangle a lot of people for the Baptism, and with it being more of a family tradition and less of a serious commitment, we are pretty cool with them having the same Godparents.  One is Catholic, but not practicing, although she was married in the church that we are baptizing them in, and the other is not.
  • imageOrangeSmoke:
    imageKristen61607:
    imageHopeful1!:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

Not just a baptized Catholic, has to be a practicing Catholic.  I believe they have to get a letter or a form from their current parish.

I'm sorry!  I don't post very often, but I have the same delima.  I am the only 'practicing' Catholic in my family so I really am not sure what to do.  And DH is not Catholic, but we want our children to be baptized Catholic.  I'm going to make an appointment with the Priest (We have to do Baptism Classes anyways) to see what he says.  Has anyone heard of any exceptions to the rule??

• We will have one set for our twins.  Mainly because we are catholic and as PP stated, one of the god parents has to be catholic. I'd love to have my brother and SIL as Baby A's GP and DH's brother and SIL as Baby B's GP, but DH's family is all baptist.  DH and I and my family are catholic (DH converted).

Regarding 'practicing', i did have to have a letter from my church stating i was a member at the church before I could be a god parent to my cousin's baby. But I think all churches are different?

My niece was baptized lutheran and I am catholic, and her Godmother.  The Lutheran church had no problem with this but the Catholic church told me I am not actually her Godmother but rather her 'Baptismal sponsor'.  I told my brother this and he retorted with "That's ridiculous.  You are her Godmother because I said so". :-)  Ultimately I don't think the title matters much.  I happen to think the catholic church comes off very exclusionary sometimes due to all their rules!!! 

TTC since 2008
    dx MFI March 2009, low motility and low morph
    dx Stage I/II endometriosis September 2009.
    Multiple failed clomid, injecitble and IUI cycles
    IVF #1 Janaury 2011: 28 retrieved, 22 fert normally
    5dt of two beautiful blasts (6 frozen)
    BFP 2/10/2011 (holy cow!!!)
    1st u/s 2/24: 2 gestational sacs, it's twins! Only 1 heartbeat, Baby A, 110 BPM
    2nd u/s 2/28: 2 heartbeats! It's twins!
    3rd u/s 3/7: Lost Baby B :-( Baby A looking good.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    We will always love you Baby B.
  • We did same set for both boys. We only have 2 friends who are practicing catholics, our brothers and sisters dont even practice so we just did the same for both.

I think it made it more special for Godparents they both had a baby at the baptism and kinda took care of them the whole mass and during actual baptism.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Separate godparents. They're individual people who deserve individual godparents.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We chose a different set for each child.  Our priest required that one member of each set of Godparents be a practicing Catholic in good standing, and that the other member of the set be at minimum a Christian.  That opened up our possibilities a bit so that each child could have their own set.
    After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • We picked 2 sets of godparents. We had a hard time narrowing down the list. There were too many choices. We are both from large Catholic families.

At our Catholic church, at least one of the godparents had to be a baptised and confirmed Catholic and actively participating/demonstrating his/her faith. Other had to at least be Christian.

All our godparents are baptised, confirmed, and active in their faith, so no problems there for us. I can see how that might present problems for some families though.

However, I believe each church priest can set the rules for his parish and the requirements vary a lot.  You definitely want to talk to your specific priest and find out how your parish handles baptisms.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Each baby has only one Godparent on the books and one official one.  Canon law only requires one Godparent so that's what we went with, because our circumstances are a bit complicated.

I am an only child, DH is not Catholic.  I have 4 cousins who are like siblings to me (3 are siblings in the same family, one is an only child.)  2 are confirmed Catholics, 2 are under the age of 16 and not confirmed yet.  We'd ALWAYS planned on having Cousins 1 and 2 as Godparents for Baby 1 and Cousins 3 and 4 for Baby 2.  Didn't count on Baby 1 and 2 coming concurrently. 

Because Cousin 3 and 4 are not old enough to be confirmed, they couldn't be Godparents, but they also couldn't be a Christian Witness, because they are Catholic.  So Cousin 1 got a baby, and Cousin 3 is the "unofficial" godparent, and same for Cousins 2 & 4. 

• My girls have the same godparents....
  • imageKarlsSweetie05:

At our Catholic church, at least one of the godparents had to be a baptised and confirmed Catholic and actively participating/demonstrating his/her faith. Other had to at least be Christian.

This was true for ours as well, although we only had to prove the baptized part of it (not the confirmed part).  Actively participating meant a letter from their parish.

It is very parish dependent, though. DH is the godfather of his niece, and he just had to show up.

We chose a different set for each child.  Each has either an aunt (my sister) or an uncle (DH's brothers) as well as a close friend of ours.

• They are two separate children, therefore they deserve two separate sets of Godparents. My son has a different set than V & G, so why do the same? That's my opinion. And neither of their Godparents are couples (we chose one person from my side and one from DH's side). It works great.
  • With my DS, we chose my younger brother and my cousin to be Godparents.  In our parish, they have to be baptized, confirmed and actively practicing in the church.  Since we all attend the same parish, we didn't need any letters, but they did have to go to the baptism class with us when we went.

As for the twins, I have a feeling we are going to be asking my brother and cousin once again.  My DH's family doesn't practice any sort of religion (DH is now a baptized Catholic), so there are no options on his side of the family.  My older brother is not a practicing Catholic, my sister, who is Catholic - hasn't completed her annullment from her first marriage, so she's not allowed.  All of my other cousins are too young to be Godparents.

So, it looks like all three of my children will have the same Godparents - and I'm totally okay with that....it really meant the world to my brother when I asked him to be my children's Godparents.  I have no doubt he will set a good example for them....

• each of my kids only has a Godmother -- sister / SIL / SIL / niece / BFF
    Dee
    DS - 40W6D - Oct 2004
    DS - 41W4D - March 2007
    GGG - 33W6D - July 2008
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageRWoods:
    imageOrangeSmoke:
    imageKristen61607:
    imageHopeful1!:
    imageGoldie_Locks_5:

I'm sorry!  I don't post very often, but I have the same delima.  I am the only 'practicing' Catholic in my family so I really am not sure what to do.  And DH is not Catholic, but we want our children to be baptized Catholic.  I'm going to make an appointment with the Priest (We have to do Baptism Classes anyways) to see what he says.  Has anyone heard of any exceptions to the rule??

No exceptions in the Catholic church. Also the parish isn't the one that decides. Do you have any really close friends that are practicing Catholic that you can see yourself friends for a long time? We have one set for both kids.

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We are not Catholic, but our kids have the same godparents.  I really don't see the problem with multiple children having the same god parents.  They love our kids as if they were their own children and I can't see asking someone else just so each kid had their own set of godparents.  Our kid's godparents are our best friends and we are godparents to their youngest daughter.
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DH is Catholic, although non-practicing, but his grandmother is very religious. So although we're not raising the boys as Catholic, I've agreed to Baptize the boys for her sake. So we went through the same dilemma you're asking about.

We decided to choose 1 set of godparents for both boys. Mostly because we had the "slim pickings" issue, but we also because we didn't want to have to deal with one set of godparents wanting to be more "involved" than the other set and having jealousy issues down the road.

Also, not sure if you looked into it, but only one of the godparents must be Catholic. It was something that I didn't know, I always thought they both did. So maybe that opens up a few more options to you? 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

• We chose 4 sets for the quads.  We wanted them to each have their own special people, they have to share enough things and I didn't want this to be one of them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Visit our blog at www.benandkarisjourneytoparenthood.blogspot.com
  • imageGoldie_Locks_5:

Amen Goldie! 

I tried posting a question about this when my girls were born, and I got flamed from many ppl.  To the OP, our girls have 2 sets.  1 couple for each girl. 

TTC for 12 years. m/c 2009. BFP on New Year's 2010. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"