Hawaii Babies
Options

milk suppy & mini-pill

Those on the mini-pill, did you notice a drop in your supply?  I recently read that the mini-pill could cause a drop in supply & now I am wondering if it has affected mine.  I feel like I used to have more extra than I do now.  Not sure if it is just in my head or if my supply has dipped.
imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: milk suppy & mini-pill

• Options

I haven't noticed a drop in my supply.  In fact, I still get engorged sometimes.

Is LO fussy at the breast?  Or you're noticing that you're pumping less?  If it concerns you, talk to your OB.  Maybe your OB can put you on a different MP.  I think the make-up of the progestin varies depending on which brand you're taking.  (I was concerned that the MP might exacerbate my eczema.  My OB said that if this happens, we'd try a different brand.)  Or your OB may suggest non-hormonal birth control.

I remember you mentioning you had a "scare" a little while ago?  Are you sure you're not PG?  Wink  If you are, the estrogen could be causing your supply to dip.

ETA: Forgot to write that your supply might just be leveling out (rather than dropping).  So your body is producing what LO needs and your excess is decreasing.

• Options

Can't really say since I've never had an abundant supply. I've been on the mini-pill since A was about 4 months and this week gave up nursing b/c I felt like my body just stopped producing enough, despite efforts to boost the supply and keep it up. :( Maybe that had something to due with the BCP, but I'm not certain.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsNicole&Brian808:

Is LO fussy at the breast?  Or you're noticing that you're pumping less? 

Just what I am pumping.  I just feel like I was getting more before.  But DH brought up that we recently started spoon-feeding her cereal & I do use 1 oz of milk to mix with so maybe that is explaining my lesser amount of extra.

Now that I am aware of the issue (and possibility of the mini-pill causing a dip in supply) I will watch to make sure it isn't going down.  Maybe it is just me worrying for nothing.  If I can tell my supply is dipping, I will either switch pills or go the non-hormone route.

imageMrsNicole&Brian808:

I remember you mentioning you had a "scare" a little while ago?  Are you sure you're not PG?  Wink  If you are, the estrogen could be causing your supply to dip.

Oh you funny girl! I took a pg test...all fingers and toes crossed that it wasn't a false negative!!  Stick out tongue

Thanks for your input!

• Options

no experience w/this but wanted to say you should check your pump - have you changed the membranes lately? call customer support for the pump company and have them troubleshoot w/you and make sure it's not the pump

also make sure you stay up w/your water intake, it has always been hard for me to stay up w/that and sometimes we get busy and forget.

but i agree w/nicole that your body may just be leveling off and regulating its supply.  i definitely had that experience and went from pumping 6-8oz per session to something closer to 3-4 oz once my supply evened out

• Options
    imagemrspresley:

no experience w/this but wanted to say you should check your pump - have you changed the membranes lately? call customer support for the pump company and have them troubleshoot w/you and make sure it's not the pump

i did think of this b/c of the recent recall, but the suction on my pump is really strong.  I have to keep it on the lowest setting (always have) and if I could lower it even further, I would!  When you say membranes, is that the little white things?  Maybe I should change those out.

imagemrspresley:

but i agree w/nicole that your body may just be leveling off and regulating its supply.  i definitely had that experience and went from pumping 6-8oz per session to something closer to 3-4 oz once my supply evened out

maybe yall are right about the leveling off.  I am honestly not even sure if it is a dip or if it just seems that way.  I just haven't put any new milk in the freezer the last couple of weeks since I got on the MP, but with that said, we have also been using more to make her cereal.  I just can't remember exactly how much I was freezing to know if that is the same amount I am using in cereal.

I don't know...I am nervous about losing my supply and getting preggers right now.  Maybe a non-hormonal bc is the way to go (at least until I am done nursing).  Thanks for your input...I really appreicate it.

• Options

yes the membranes are the little white things/flaps.  those the 1st thing they recommend you check if you think there might be an issue

if you are using BM for the cereal then you technically need to pump extra for that b/c it's basically extra milk that A is consuming w/o BFing.

i wouldn't stress too much about it though if she seems happy/content when nursing and doesn't seem hungry/frustrated at the breast! i can't tell you how many times in the past year i got worried that my supply was diminishing/plummeting b/c of a change in how much i pumped but in the end i've always had enough milk for her. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"