Houston Babies

car seat recs - for a sedan please....

DD is small so she is still within the limitations of our Chicco Keyfit but we need to start considering convertibles and have one ready to go. DH has a big SUV so no issues there but I have a sedan. Currently, DD is behind the passenger seat in my car because there is a hump in the back seat that makes installing in the middle a difficult task...the base kept moving so we just installed it behind the passenger seat.

I'm pretty sure we'll have to keep her there with the convertible too but I don't want a massive seat preventing anyone from sitting in the passenger seat or even next to her in the back seat. Any recs? Bonus points if you have a sedan with stupid hump in the middle.

I should add we want to keep her rear-facing until she is two at least.

Re: car seat recs - for a sedan please....

• If you want a smaller seat, you can go with the Combi Coccoro.  (the little video presentation is fun).  I bought one originally to go in my Coupe, but b/c of the bucket seats, it didn't work well, so we moved it to DH's car.  It is great for if you want to have some room up front, even RFing.  We like it b/c it's super light, so we can take it with us when we travel, and use in pretty much any car (if we get a super small rental, or somethign).  However, they will probably grow out of it faster than a larger carseat, so be sure to check the specs.
  • We have a First Years True Fit installed in DH's Honda Fit. Right now it's still at the full recline, and I can sit in the passenger seat (I'm 5'7").  We need to put the headrest back on probably next weekend and will up the recline then.... Hopefully it will still fit as well.
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • britax roundabout

we have an evenflo in dh's car, but i was really concerned about being able to see over it through the rear view mirror in my car. the roundabout is much more compact but dd still has plenty of room.

we did rear facing for a few months, but her legs are so long that we had to turn her around at about 17 months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A radian is great for getting extra passengers in because it is the skinniest seat you can get. It's also great for tall kids because it is very tall. But it takes up a LOT of room RFing, so it might not work in your car, you'll have to try it out first.

We also have an Evenflo Triumph Advance, which I really like because you don't have to rethread the shoulder straps ever. But it's pretty bulky and wide. Probably not a problem front to back in most cars though, it fit fine in a PT Cruiser. It's about the same size as a Marathon front to back. DD RF'd in the evenflo until 2yo.

And I just have to throw this out there for the record, long legs are no reason to FF. DD RFd until 3.5yo and 41" (above average height). Legs bend. Kids sit in crazy weird ways all the time. And if I was in a wreck bad enough to break the legs of my RFing kid, it's pretty much guaranteed that FFing... well, it'd be worse than broken legs. 

- Jena
  • Neither of mine are in a sedan, but I have a Britax Roundabout in my car.  We then bought the Evenflo Symphony for DHs truck.  Yes, it is wide and looks HUGE compared to the Britax, but in reality it isn't.  My sister puts the Evenflo in her sedan and it fits really well.

DS seems to prefer the Evenflo.  That's only based on the fact that most of the time we put him in the Evenflo he doesn't flip out, but about 25% of the time I put him in the Britax he flips his lid.  I think it is coincidence because we're in my car more often.

We're tossing around the idea of selling our Britax and getting a second Evenflo...if anyone is interested.

• imagemelissa0312:

we did rear facing for a few months, but her legs are so long that we had to turn her around at about 17 months. 

It is obviously your choice to make but long legs should not be a reason to change to FF. It doesn't matter if they're up the seat, over the sides, crossed, or whatever. T is 34 3/4" at just 2. It's the seated height that is a limit. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"