Northern California Babies
Options

Anything you would avoid in Maui while pregnant?

For instance - snorkel trip out in the ocean because of possible sea sickness?  Or certain foods?  Or staying in the sun for too long?

Seriously any thoughts are helpful -  I will be 12 weeks exactly when we leave.  Thanks!

Re: Anything you would avoid in Maui while pregnant?

• Options
    I get sea sickness regardless of whether I am pregnant or not. What cured my sickness was a couple of Tums. Also, we did the road to Hana, TUMS was my lifesaver then too. Just be sure to listen to your body.
  • Options

We were thinking about Maui for a babymoon and there were my concerns:

1. Motionsickness (especially if you are having morning sickness)
    2. Staying in the sun too long cause of dehydration and also sun spots
    3. The road to Hana, I remember it being pretty bumpy
    4. Walking/climbing to the waterfalls, I remember it being slippery and falling would not be good while pregnant
    5. Going in the ocean, affraid the waves would push me into the sand on my stomach

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, I'm sure you'll have a great time.  Just letting you know the things that ran through my head.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

The road to Hana isn't bad if you do it at your own pace (meaning in your own rental car instead of a tour bus) and don't put pressure on yourself to complete the entire trip. You can buy an audio tour CD which you can pop into your rental car and listen to and know where to stop. You can stop any time for a short walk, to get air, or take a dip. Make sure to pack food!!  We packed PB&J sandwiches and bottled water in the trunk of the car because we didn't know when we would get hungry and when we would run into a store again. Even if you just hit a few stops and head back, it is better than nothing. If I had to compare the road to Hana (road wise) it is similar to Highway 9 between Santa Cruz and Los Gatos, if you have ever driven that route.

Snorkeling is okay from the shore but make sure to wear tons of sunscreen and wear a t-shirt. Keep your dips in the ocean short. Stop by the grocery store first to get a lot of bottled water. There were many beaches that you could find trees to hang out underneath. SHOULD you get sunburned, there is only one store on the entire island that carries real aloe vera (not the crap with alcohol in it that will make it burn worse). It is a health food store in Lahaina across the street from the Plantation Inn (Can you tell DH got a bad burn?).  We found a really calm beach/calm ocean over by Napili shores.

Obviously, I wouldn't do the downhill bicycle tour of the volcano or the kayak trip while pregnant.

Instead of what not to do, here are some things to check out:

-Banyon tree in Lahaina. That thing is amazing. Sometimes they do events under there.

-The aquarium. You can see all of the native fish without getting into the ocean. It was so worth it. That place is amazing.

-Luau. It sounds cheesy and touristy but it can be fun too. Plus you are pregnant. Do you need any other excuse to eat your body weight in food? :)

-Drive along the coast and wander around in the different beach communities. Different parts of the island just feel different. Over by the airport, you have a lot of  wind sailing and more extreme ocean sports that you can watch from the shore. The west portion of the island has a lot of shopping and beaches for hanging out (not as much wind).

-Eat at BJ's and ask for a window seat. You'll have a birds eye view from upstairs of the Lahaina coast.  

-Try a traditional box lunch there (macaroni salad, teriyaki meat of some sort). It will ruin you for  Hawaiian food on the main land.

-For cheap eats, hunt down a Maui Tacos. I loved their fish tacos.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Tiki gave some great info. The only thing I'd avoid is raw fish which is a serious bummer b/c you're in Maui!
  • Options
    I went to Maui both times while I was pregnant.  I had a blast.  I didn't go out of my way to avoid anything, except for alcohol.  I still went snorkeling and I just made sure to stay extra hydrated.  Have fun!
    ~mom to 4 boys~ 9/05, 10/07, 2/10,and 10/11 image
  • Options
    I've heard Mahi Mahi is a no-no while PG.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"