School-Aged Children
Options

Stuttering 7 year old

I just talked to my daughter's 2nd grade teacher about her stuttering and she said she was planning on discussing it with me too.  My daughter just really started stuttering noticably the last month or two.  Other than a baby sister who she loves, nothing else has changed.  She loves school and is a happy, well adjusted child.  I'm hoping that a school speech therapist will agree to listen to her.  We'll see what she says.

Has anyone else dealt with a child who stutters - especially with such a late onset?

imageimage

Re: Stuttering 7 year old

• Options

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002400

Hopefully I was able to make this link "clicky." 

Anyway check out this NIH website about stuttering.  I'd explore having the school's speech pathologist observe your DD and keep an eye on it.

Good luck! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

The school is one resource. You can start there... but, find out what other resources are available. I would enroll her in private speech therapy.

My H had a problem with stuttering when he was young. He was embarrassed not only by the stuttering, but by seeing the speech therapist at school. If they pull your child out of class, she may feel awkward. She will also miss part of the lesson or activity that her classmates are doing at that time.

Newlyweds since 2007
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"