August 2011 Moms
Options

Nurse's Appointment?

Hi All!

I've been lurking forever, but I have a question for you gals.  As you can see, I'm 11 weeks and I have my first ever prenatal appointment tomorrow morning.  The office keeps calling it a nurse's appointment and my doctor's appointment is next week.  Well, both of my parents are about splitting at the seems with the news (first grandkid for them).  I told them that as long as I hear a heartbeat they can start telling the extended family.  Well, I guess that I assumed that would be checked at my first appointment, but now I have no idea why I assumed that.  I know that they are going to do some bloodwork and that's all that I know that they will do for sure in that 2 hour appointment.  I know it's a little late now (since I told them they can probably share the news tomorrow), but what can I expect at the nurse's appointment (and how does that differ with the doctor's appointment?).

Thanks ladies, I know that you are an endless fountain of knowledge! 

Re: Nurse's Appointment?

• Options

The first appointment is so exciting! My first appointment was at 8 weeks 6 days with a nurse and they didn't use the doppler to hear the heartbeat but I did have an ultrasound and we saw the baby and the heartbeat. They also did bloodwork, a urine sample, a bunch of intake paperwork including family history, previous pregnancies, my symptoms thus far, etc, etc. The nurse went over several things with me such as prenatal vitamins, exercise and nutrition. She gave me a ton of info and asked if I had any questions.

If you're not having an ultrasound you could probably ask if they can listen for a heartbeat with the doppler. They did that at my second appointment (12 weeks) which was my first appointment the midwife. It didn't take long at all so I would think they can probably do it for you if you ask. Congratulations and good luck at your appointment!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I met with the NP at 8 weeks 2 days...they went over family history, what to stay away from, they did an internal exam to check my uterus (to see if i was pregnant), went over probable due date (which changed by 12 days since then), initial lab work (to determine blood type, verify pregnancy, and check betas--mine were 13,000)...second appt, i met with the doctor (2 weeks later) and did the extensive blood work (usually 7-10 vials)--not really that bad, pap smear, went over the initial blood work with the doctor, and what she recommends to do and not to do..

good luck...keep us posted!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"