Military Families
Options

Active duty moms/ moms to be

Did you/will you take leave prior to LO being born? If so, how much? Why/why not did you decide to take leave before due date? I have a lot of saved up leave and now I don't know if I should use some of it prior to Emma coming.

Re: Active duty moms/ moms to be

• Options
    I had my DS on a Tuesday & I worked all the way up to the Friday prior to that Tues. I also had a lot of time saved but the way I looked at it with being my first & my LO being new to the world I wanted to give him as much time with Mommy as possible. So I used all my time on the back end & I was so inlove with LO that I was glad for the extra time with him. I'm sure he enjoyed the bonding & extra cuddling with me as well.
    DeterminedBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for your input.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If I wasn't going straight from maternity convalescent leave into terminal leave and getting out--

I would take my leave after LO was born. I would probably try and take a couple weeks after my maternity leave ended. I'm working up until when I deliver, as much as it sucks.

• Options
    I too have intentions to take leave right after my maternity leave is up!
  • Options
    I plan on working up until delivery. I may take some leave over the summer to visit family so they can see my baby bump and they want to throw me a shower, but other than that I want to save it for after the baby is born.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Honestly, I didn't see much of a point in taking leave beforehand. However, if you are seriously tired, it may help. That being said, you are going to need most of it after the baby's arrival. I took an additional two weeks of leave after my maternity leave but could have used two weeks more, for sure! ;)
  • Options
    I didn't take any leave beforehand, nor did I have any plans to.  I worked full time up until 37w0d.  At that point, My doctor wrote me a note for half days because I was having issues with severe swelling and my blood pressure was creeping up.  My water broke 3 days later.  I did take 2 extra weeks of leave after my 6 weeks of maternity leave was up.  I wish I could have taken another 2 weeks or so, but my job needed me to come back.     
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With DS I worked on the day I was due (which was a Tuesday and DS was born Saturday) for half a day while I was having contractions.  That night I called work and told them I wouldn't be back until my maternity leave was over and they didn't charge me any leave.  I thought about doing it this time around, but I will wait to make that decision later.  I will have a scheduled C-section and I'm considering taking about a week or two to relax since I know my nerves will be shot going into the C-section anyway.  Good luck with your decision.
    Me:  31  DH:  35
    Married:  7/3/2006
    DS:  3/3/2007  (emergency c-section) 
    MMC:  10/5/2010  D&C:  10/8/2010
    DD:  9/22/2011  (scheduled c-section)
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the input ladies. I feel fine at work, but my command is telling me that I get 30 days prenatal leave. I don't know what I'd do with myself. Sounds boring! They are very aware of my intentions once LO is here, but they are fine if I add more leave or take some back.
  • Options
    WOW I cannot believer that you guys only get 6 weeks in the states if you military. I`m canadian and we get a year off and usually 90% of women are put on bed rest in the last month. witgh the year off were on EI but we get like 93% of of out pay. That just blows my mind!
  • Options

imagerebekahsm66:
    Thanks for all of the input ladies. I feel fine at work, but my command is telling me that I get 30 days prenatal leave. I don't know what I'd do with myself. Sounds boring! They are very aware of my intentions once LO is here, but they are fine if I add more leave or take some back.

30 days prenatal, what branck are you in?

• Options

imagerebekahsm66:

30 days prenatal, what branch are you in?

• Options

I would save your leave until after you've delivered.  I am in the Navy, but no matter what branch you are in there are strict rules on how much you can work, time to put your feet up, etc. during your third trimester. 

Although I'm in my second trimester, I had terrible morning sickness during my first and had no problems getting time off when I was feeling awful (no one wants someone doing nothing but throwing up in their work space)

Make sure to read and memorize both the pregnancy and equal opportunity instructions for your respective branch.  Don't take anyone's word for it, this is your body and your baby you need to protect.  Knowing your rights is the first step.  I know for a fact that if you feel awful and you go see your dr, they will do everything to make sure that you and your child are ok, even if it's going home for a day or two to rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"