Houston Babies

Come in if you've dieted/exercised to lose weight while breastfeeding...

Please share your experience - specifically as it relates to your milk supply.  Was it affected? 

I keep reading that exercising won't affect milk supply but I'm so hesitant!  We are already having to supplement and I'm scared of my supply decreasing even more.  I'm 5 months in and my first nursing goal is 6 months but I'm planning to go longer if my supply will let me & DD is still going strong.

And by diet, I really mean not shove whatever the hell I want (x10!) in my mouth with the glorious excuse of "but I'm breastfeeding!  I need the calories!"  Haha

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Re: Come in if you've dieted/exercised to lose weight while breastfeeding...

• I did weight watchers while I was BF my first.  I got something like 35 points a day.  If you have done WW before you know that is a ton of food.  I actually ate more because I was working out everyday too.  Supply was fine.  I BF until he was 12 months. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagealmostjones:

Please share your experience - specifically as it relates to your milk supply.  Was it affected? 

I keep reading that exercising won't affect milk supply but I'm so hesitant!  We are already having to supplement and I'm scared of my supply decreasing even more.  I'm 5 months in and my first nursing goal is 6 months but I'm planning to go longer if my supply will let me & DD is still going strong.

And by diet, I really mean not shove whatever the hell I want (x10!) in my mouth with the glorious excuse of "but I'm breastfeeding!  I need the calories!"  Haha

Thanks in advance for sharing!

I am in the same boat! On the days that I workout, I pump between 2-3oz each time and on the days that I don't workout I get between 3-4oz. Now, I know that is not a huge difference, but when you already have a low supply, 1oz means alot! I am torn because I love to run and I am signed up for 2 half marathons, but I dont want to dry up completely! My goal was to breastfeed for 4 months and now that we are almost there, I would like to try and make it to 6.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm on WW and get 43 (!!!!) points a day (but I'm pretty overweight too.)

I don't pump, but haven't noticed a decrease in my supply at all.  Eliza doesn't act any differently on days I run than when I don't, so I don't think it bothers her.

The only thing is that I try to drink about twice as much water on days that I run versus days that I don't.  I really think that would be your biggest threat to losing your supply, dehydration.

• Thanks everyone!

It's so weird...I consistently pump 11-12 oz throughout the course of a work day (3 sessions) but she takes 20-22 oz during the day...so that's when we supplement.  However, when I'm at home on weekends, I rarely feel the need to supplement unless DH is just wanting to give her a bottle and we don't have any BM in the freezer.

Anyway...I guess I need to get on the exercise wagon then!! 

Kat - thanks for the water reminder!  It really does make a difference and working out will definitely mean I'll need more.

• It was a big fail for me :( But I also EP and as I sure you know the pump isn't as effective as a little one.

I still workout but I don't diet working out didn't effect me at all probably because I just stuffed my face afterwards. 

So instead I stuff my face with cookies and keep the fat on. HAHA!

Crying 

• imagealmostjones:

Thanks everyone!

It's so weird...I consistently pump 11-12 oz throughout the course of a work day (3 sessions) but she takes 20-22 oz during the day...so that's when we supplement.  However, when I'm at home on weekends, I rarely feel the need to supplement unless DH is just wanting to give her a bottle and we don't have any BM in the freezer.

Anyway...I guess I need to get on the exercise wagon then!! 

Kat - thanks for the water reminder!  It really does make a difference and working out will definitely mean I'll need more.

Definitely a case of the baby being more effective than the pump!  I would stay away from dieting (unless you do WW) while BFing because I would think that would have a much greater affect on your pumping than just working out would.

• I didn't diet (but I'm not a dieter in general because I have no will power) but I did work out for a few months when she was 4-6 months old. I never experienced a drop in my supply or anything. I've read that right after working out your milk may taste funny to them but it never seemed to bother DD much.

I was told by the lady who fitted my for a nursing bra at a Woman's Work to not keep the sports bra on for too long as it may affect your production. I wore two sports bras (the girls were big) and again, no drop in production. 

Just make sure to drink lots and lots of water. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"