Military Families
Options

Issues with housing?

Does anyone live on post at Fort Bragg? (or on any post for that matter) Is all military housing run by Picerne?

We live on post and we just moved in October 8th. Since then we've had to have 9 maitenance issues looked at. We've had to have the fridge replaced, the heat fixed, the drains in the bathroom fixed, an outside pipe burst and flooded our pantry, the flooring in the kitchen just had to be replaced, you guys get the idea. Well when they came to fix the flooring (the hallway and bathroom need to be replaced as well but they only did the kitchen) and after one of the guys used the bathroom he came and asked me to come look at the flooring. He showed me where the toilet has been leaking and the vinyl (or linoleum not sure what we have) is split and coming up, he then tells me that the discoloration around the toilet is mold. He told me he's not suppose to point things out but that he couldn't not tell me about the mold.

So two days after they left I called the community center and had a work order filled out. When the maitenance guy came he said "oh no that's just the glue, it's stained flooring", but to me that makes absolutely no sense because why hasn't it happened anywhere else? It's literally only around the toilet and tub.

This is my first pregnancy and I've already had doubts about living in this house because two weeks after we moved in my DH and I have both had constant sinus issues. Whether it be stuffed up, runny noses, sinus headaches and pressure, and nothing has helped. So I really just wanted to take every single precaution necessary to ensure I have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy place to bring the baby home too.

Can I request they take a second look? Has anyone had any issues with housing? Has any requested to be moved into a different house? Can I even do that? I've made notes on everything that has ever happened in this house and it's almost an entire page of things that we've had to have looked at or fixed.

Any advice, opinion, similiar stories are very much welcome. Thank You All.

MC: Feb 24th, 2011

Re: Issues with housing?

• Options
    Welcome to base housing, lol. A friend of mine is stationed in CA. The first month they lived in housing, they had several maintenance issues as well. They had the exact same issue with the bathroom that you are describing.the difference is that their entire bathroom floor was ripped up and replaced. If you think there is a problem, keep on them until they do something about it. Or, I'd start looking for a house off base.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Eek! H is Navy and we live in housing in SD but in the Navy you don't actually live ON base so housing is run by civi company. We actually have had great customer service and no major problems so far. I would definitely ask for a second look!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If maintenance is refusing to fix it, then set up a meeting with the actual housing office.  See if you can get them to at least test for mold, both in the air and in the walls/floors, especially in that bathroom.  If you get nowhere with that, go talk to JAG.  If you end up having to go to JAG, it may be in your best interest to pay for a mold test before going to see them to establish whether or not you even have a case against housing.  Or call JAG first and ask what they think you should do before making an appointment about it.

Good luck!  Whatever you do, don't back down and just accept that "nothing is wrong" if you really feel like something is, because this is potentially a health issue that could cause you years and years of problems.  Make them prove that nothing is wrong. 

I know that our housing office encourages you to let them know if you think there might possibly be even the smallest chance of mold, and they will actually have someone come out and test just to make sure.  Not only that but our maintenance guys are awesome, and have never hesitated to point out things that they feel I need to have fixed.  Sometimes they'll even fix them while they're here on a call for something else. 

• Options

Yeah I was actually really surprised that they didn't even test just to be sure. The guy that was fixing the flooring (the one who pointed it out) was from an outside company they hire to do the floors, I think thats why he said he's not aloud to point things out. I mean I took pictures of the floor around the toilet so I had proof. I think I'm going to call and ask them to check again and like you said have them test the air, walls, and floor. I have my first doctors appointment on thursday and I'm going to ask about the sinus issue and find out if they can possibly pin point if it's an allergen or something to do with the house.

Thank you so much for the information. I had no idea I could go that high if needed.

imageleslie13510:

If maintenance is refusing to fix it, then set up a meeting with the actual housing office.  See if you can get them to at least test for mold, both in the air and in the walls/floors, especially in that bathroom.  If you get nowhere with that, go talk to JAG.  If you end up having to go to JAG, it may be in your best interest to pay for a mold test before going to see them to establish whether or not you even have a case against housing.  Or call JAG first and ask what they think you should do before making an appointment about it.

Good luck!  Whatever you do, don't back down and just accept that "nothing is wrong" if you really feel like something is, because this is potentially a health issue that could cause you years and years of problems.  Make them prove that nothing is wrong. 

I know that our housing office encourages you to let them know if you think there might possibly be even the smallest chance of mold, and they will actually have someone come out and test just to make sure.  Not only that but our maintenance guys are awesome, and have never hesitated to point out things that they feel I need to have fixed.  Sometimes they'll even fix them while they're here on a call for something else. 

MC: Feb 24th, 2011
  • Options
    Not to scare you but theres no way I would live on post here at Bragg. Especially since youre pregnant. I would just move off post ASAP. There is a guy in my brigade who lost 2 of his babies from living on post. They can say that there is nothing wrong all they want, but clearly after 11 babies die on post SOMETHING is very wrong!
  • Options
    I recommend contacting the unit Ombudsman for their assistance in dealing with the housing office.
  • Options

I wouldn't trust anything they say at Bragg, and after the tragedy with all the babies dying, I am leery to ever live on base again.  Initially they denied anything was wrong with the homes, but now they are backtracking.  

I hope you can get some help. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"