Illinois Babies

Staying at Home vs. Returning to Work...what did you do?

DH and I are currently trying to decide if we should start trying to conceive.  If we begin trying now, it would make most sense for me to be a SAHM for atleast the first year (I am a teacher but I do not currently have a permanent position because we just relocated here for DH's job).  If we wait, it would only be so that I could try to find a teaching position for next school year and get settled there before having to take maternity leave. 

So, I was curious...how many of you became Stay At Home Moms after your first baby?

[Poll]

Re: Staying at Home vs. Returning to Work...what did you do?

• I returned to work full time.  I likely would have taken at least a few years off if I thought it would be possible for me to later return to work.  Because I thought it would be extremely difficult to find a job in a few years, I decided to go back full time.
  • I am also a teacher.  I took 1 year off when I had DD and returned to work this fall.  Financially, it wasn't a necessity for me to go back to work, but, due to several different factors, it was the best choice for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm an attorney and I am working part time.  But, believe me I probably work more than I get paid!  But that didn't change from before, and besides all of that work is done from home, the important thing is that I only have to be in the office based on my own schedule.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • I stayed home - after having a pretty big career for 10 years. It's been a hard adjustment but I was so in baby mode I was so happy to be staying home when DD was really little...now, there are days I miss the workplace but also days I am so happy to be with my daughter.  I don't think you can ever KNOW until you have the baby (if you have a choice, that is.)
    Visit BabyDealsDujour - we list all the baby daily deals in real-time! Please join our Facebook Group for updates on the best baby daily deals.
  • I just graduated with my teaching degree and because of the lack of teaching positions I decided to go into nannying since I was able to be with kids and it was just another alternative for me. If you do want to work, nannying may be a great thing for the meantime. You can probably find a family that is willing to have you bring your own baby to work as long as you can handle it (and most families see that you're a teacher and already know you can handle a lot). This is what I'll be doing since my EDD is july 7th which is too close to the next school year. Just a thought -=)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went back to work F/T.  I thought maybe I would stay at home but decided to at least go back and see how it went.  Ideally I would like to work P/T and am currently looking for a P/T role.  I think you get the best of both worlds working p/t, adult interaction plus time with your little one. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"