December 2010 Moms

OSC and other crafty gals

Who here has made a quilt? I want to take up quilting since I am pretty much a stay at home mom, working PT nights and weekends. How hard are they? Are they actually difficult or do they just require a lot of patience, and that's what makes them hard? Do you do the "quilting" part yourself, or do you send that away to someone else?

Also, can you send me a link recommendation to your sewing machine? I am planning on getting a new one because mine sucks... so I would love to get ideas of what to look for!

I just started making a list of what's important to me in my head last night, and I realized that watching more TV is totally not on the list... I want to do something productive with my time, KWIM? I love being crafty and I miss it, so I have started making cards, jewelry, and dresses in the past few days. I love it and I do not miss the TV at all. Plus we will save money when we get rid of our fancy cable package soon (we are keeping some cable so we can watch football... we want L to fall in love with sports and encourage him to be active as he grows up), and I hope my craftiness rubs off on him... just inspiring him to spend his time doing something worthwhile instead of parking his butt in front of a TV.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: OSC and other crafty gals

• I <3 quilting! It takes a lot of time and patience, but its really not that hard. Its really just a bunch of straight lines....and a bazillion little pieces. I highly recommend this book - The Complete Guide to Quilting. I taught myself and this was an invaluable resource.

As for the top quilting part, I have done it myself on a baby blanket, but you can also either just tack it with a few stitches here and there or send it to someone to be top stitched with a long arm machine. I've also recently heard about a method where you top stitch it in big sections THEN sew the front together. Haven't tried it yet though.

When I needed a new machine, I got the Singer Quilting Confidence and absolutely love it. It comes with all of the quilting feet attachments you'd need, an option to control the feed dogs, and a bunch of neat stitches.

You'll also need a rotary cutter and good scissors (I recommend Gingher for both), a self healing mat, and quilting guide squares. The start up can be a little pricey, but if you get coupons to JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby its not too bad.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions! :-D

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• I made a quilt for my mom probably 9 years ago before I had kids - I really enjoyed it.  My grandma makes quilts all the time.  I am now working on my 2nd quilt - I'm making one for our bedroom.  I'm excited about it, but it's taking forever just to cut out all the squares.  Then I have to put it together.  I quilt the pattern by myself once it's put together.  There is a lady down the road who has a machine that can do it for me - we'll see how long it takes me to get it together.  I may be tempted to take it to her by then. 

Good luck.  I'll have to check what kind of sewing machine I have.  I just got it this year - I make stack covers for tractor pullers with it which is about as far as my craftiness extends!

• Loading the player...
  • I love quilting! i have a hard time cutting and sewing in straight lines however i have found that if i am DILIGENT about ironing after each step i do much better! I also do better when i'm not on a timeline and DS is asleep (not when DH is watching him- even tho DH is totally capable and loves playing with DS i just feel i should be a better mom and be out there too) but anyway- IRON after each step and have an idea of what you want before you start. also prewash your fabric ( a Mistake I made in one of the first thing I sewed  with a red back :( (turned the whole front pinkish- and it was for a boy!)

anyway!! crafting is amazing and you'll feel so good about yourself! good luck!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have only made two simple patchwork quilts.  Start with either a small project or an easy project.  I'm currently working on a denim quilt made from recycled jeans.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"