Houston Babies

Best Preschool inside the loop?

Hello ladies!! I'm from Houston originally and I may be moving back soon ( keep your fingers and toes crossd!!) My daughter is 3 and she currently goes to what is considered to be the best Preschool in my current city. I am looking to move her to an equally great school in Houston, but I am getting overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices. We hope to send her to private school so I need a school that has a high acceptance rate when it comes to private schools. Any and all info is helpful. Oh and we are looking to move inside the loop but I will be working in The Woodlands mostly, so if it's outside the loop, but close to I-45 that would be ok too.

Thanks!!!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Best Preschool inside the loop?

• Can you narrow this down a little?  Maybe chain/non-chain.  Montessori or not; price range, etc?
  • Do you mean daycare like preschool or a regular school program for PK3 that will feed into the elementary school for private education? 

If you mean the latter, there are a lot of choices, which is good. It helps to have that when looking for the right home. It seems to me that many schools have their own merits. So, I'm not sure how to qualify one as "the best." There are many that are very good and competitive with each other. I find touring helps determine which one is a good fit.

The well regarded schools tend to have competitive admissions. Finding one that is easy on admissions and well regarded usually doesn't happen. Still, you may find an opening and should try.

As a note, Catholic Schools Week is the first week of February. It is a great time to check out the diocese schools in one batch. Most have open houses that week; check the Galveston-Houston Arch Diocese website for the names of schools and then contact them about when the open house will be. 

Good luck. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagelilycat:

The well regarded schools tend to have competitive admissions. Finding one that is easy on admissions and well regarded usually doesn't happen. Still, you may find an opening and should try.

My son goes to School of the Woods. It is a Montessori program and very well regarded. We are very happy there.

Competitive admissions are kind of the antithesis of Montessori so SOTW does not have this process the way that other private schools so. It is basically a matter of do they have space for your child and is the child a good fit for the method.

There are a number of wonderful pre-k schools in The Heights. It's also a wonderful place to raise a family :) (lilycat and i both live here) 

• Post Oak School in Bellaire

Southampton Montessori (West U)

St Marks Episcopal

........I agree with Rayskit about School of the Woods. Check it out for sure even though it is outside of the loop. My son attended St Andrews in West U for almost 3 years....we ended up moving him to a school in Memorial (near my office and where we plan to move in a few months) because of the lack of challenging curriculum for preschoolers....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • St. John's school

Kinkaid school

18 Months!! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • for diversity: Westbury christian
    18 Months!! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Interesting--I had no idea Kinkaid and St. John's had preschool classes!
  • imageNanner:
    Interesting--I had no idea Kinkaid and St. John's had preschool classes!

and for only $1550+ a month at Kinkaid! What a bargain!! 

• imagemelrrr:

imageNanner:
    Interesting--I had no idea Kinkaid and St. John's had preschool classes!

and for only $1550+ a month at Kinkaid! What a bargain!! 

This makes me feel much better about what we are spending next year.  Holy crap that is painful.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsMGR:

........I agree with Rayskit about School of the Woods. Check it out for sure even though it is outside of the loop. 

Oh yeah! I guess it is. It's so easy to get there from the Heights that even a huge loop snob like myself forgot that I go past 610 to get there ;) 

• imagekreeper611:
    Can you narrow this down a little?  Maybe chain/non-chain.  Montessori or not; price range, etc?

I sure can! Thanks for replying!

Non Chain

Montessori / non - no preference

Price I pay $983 a month now. So I guess I'd be willing to go up to $1200.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagelilycat:

Do you mean daycare like preschool or a regular school program for PK3 that will feed into the elementary school for private education? 

If you mean the latter, there are a lot of choices, which is good. It helps to have that when looking for the right home. It seems to me that many schools have their own merits. So, I'm not sure how to qualify one as "the best." There are many that are very good and competitive with each other. I find touring helps determine which one is a good fit.

As a note, Catholic Schools Week is the first week of February. It is a great time to check out the diocese schools in one batch. Most have open houses that week; check the Galveston-Houston Arch Diocese website for the names of schools and then contact them about when the open house will be. 

Good luck. 

Thanks! You hit the nail right on the head. My #1 choice would be a PK3 that fed into a private elementary school.  The school we currently go to usually has a 2 yr long wait list for the 18 month class, so I'm familiar with competitive.  Thanks for the info on Catholic school week. I come from a Catholic family so Catholic school would be great. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMrsMGR:

Post Oak School in Bellaire

Southampton Montessori (West U)

St Marks Episcopal

........I agree with Rayskit about School of the Woods. Check it out for sure even though it is outside of the loop. My son attended St Andrews in West U for almost 3 years....we ended up moving him to a school in Memorial (near my office and where we plan to move in a few months) because of the lack of challenging curriculum for preschoolers....

The Post Oak school or Awty International are my top 2 dream schools so far. Kincaid is 3rd.  I'll start looking at these other 2 today.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • St. Anne is a well regarded Catholic school inside the loop that is PK3-8. Compared to a lot of other schools the tuition is manageable. PK3 is a big admission year. Another larger group of slots opens up during K. The admissions director is very easy to communicate with about what they consider during the admissions process. Tours are scheduled throughout the year, but I know they'll have one the first week of Feb.

St. Michael is another well regarded Catholic school. It is PK4-8. It is in the Galleria area and will have an open house/tour that first week of February.

St. Teresa in Memorial Park is coming online. It is worth a look.

Annunciation Greek Orthodox school is also well regarded and is inside the loop near University of St. Thomas. 

A co-worker has also liked St. Thomas Episcopal near Meyerland. 

• You might also consider Duchesne Academy.  It's also a Catholic school, but it is for just girls, so I don't know if that's an environment you'd prefer.
  • Creme de la Creme

Post Oak School

Southhampton 

• Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! Now that I know exactly where We will be living I can narrow down this list some. It looks like we will be around 610 and Main. I'll be driving 59 and the Westpark toll rd most of the time for work ( working out of my car). I'm still tkaing suggestions. I'll be in town the next 2 days checking places out. So far I am going to Grace School , Creme de la Creme Memorial, and Memorial Drive UMC.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageRobsGirl06:

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! Now that I know exactly where We will be living I can narrow down this list some. It looks like we will be around 610 and Main. I'll be driving 59 and the Westpark toll rd most of the time for work ( working out of my car). I'm still tkaing suggestions. I'll be in town the next 2 days checking places out. So far I am going to Grace School , Creme de la Creme Memorial, and Memorial Drive UMC.

My son is at MDUMC and we love it! Open enrollment starts tomorrow morning at 7am, I think......most parents start lining up extreeeeeemely early to get in.

• Good to know that you love it!! The class my daughter was supposed to be in is full for 5 day but we got in for the 2 day MDUMC. We are on the list for the 5 day. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageRobsGirl06:
    Good to know that you love it!! The class my daughter was supposed to be in is full for 5 day but we got in for the 2 day MDUMC. We are on the list for the 5 day. 

Great!! What age will she be? What class? When does she start?

• imageMrsMGR:

imageRobsGirl06:
    Good to know that you love it!! The class my daughter was supposed to be in is full for 5 day but we got in for the 2 day MDUMC. We are on the list for the 5 day. 

Great!! What age will she be? What class? When does she start?

Well I still have 2 other schools I'm waiting to hear back from but if I don't she will start in March and she wil be in the 3's class. I'm not sure of the teachers name.

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"