Preemies
Options

BFing advice

I'm waiting on the LC to respond to a page to consult with me, but while I wait, I figured I'd ask you ladies.

We're still in the NICU, still in isolettes, so we'll be here another 2-3-4 weeks. I just started BFing my trio 2 weeks ago and am up to twice a day per baby. They've been doing pretty well, but they still aren't consistently getting 75% of their feeds orally. I wouldn't even call it frequently. You know how it goes.

Yesterday & today, they've been pretty sleepy during the day and aren't doing much at the breast. They don't show great readiness cues before, either. They are, however, acting more alert overnight, the night nurse has said. I want them to continue their oral feeding attempts at the breast rather than the bottle until they move up to the next step. I just wonder if I'm missing their best times to attempt.

I'm trying to figure out if I should be here overnight to BF and go home to get my lil chunk of sleep during the day. WWYD?

Re: BFing advice

• Options
    First, you're amazing. Second, can you board at the hospital? That's what I did for the couple of days DD was in the SCN, and I'd go down every 2-3 hours (they'd call me and wake me) to nurse/pump. It seemed like a long time there at the time but I was so glad that we did it. And the hospital didn't charge us extra to do so- I just had to obviously buy my own food, etc. since I wasn't an actual patient. I agree that your intuition is probably right if they are more awake at night, and if you think a night time would work than definitely try it out! That way maybe you can get away from EPing eventually like some of us couldn't :-)
  • Options
    You are amazing for bfing with triplets and being so dedicated. I'd try it for at least one night if I were in your shoes. Is there a Ronald McDonald House in the hospital or nearby where you could stay? I agree with PP that it'd be more ideal to just be present for feeds rather than having to turn into a nocturnal person, for your own sanity and convenience. :hugs: Hang in there. We didn't transition to breast until we were at home, but our situation was totally different.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have any advice but wanted to say you are doing a great job!!  I hope that you're able to see some progress soon!
  • Options
    Good job mama. Breastfeeding 1 in the NICU is a challenge enough, but 3? Way to go. My DD was and still is a slow eater- and kind of difficult to wake up. Her prime time for feeds though was at night in the NICU- probably because night seemed to be busier than day time at our NICU. So I started feeds at night. Our first was at 9pm, then we added 9am, then 3am and 3pm and filled in from there. It was very tireing being up there every 3 hrs and our hospital didn't allow for me to board so Id come up for 45 minutes to do a feeding, drive home for 1.5hrs then drive back up to do it again. After 7 days I was exhausted but determined I was doing what was best for my DD. It must have paid off becuase on day 8, she was released & they felt she would probably do better at home than up there. Again, congrats mama you're amazing! I'd def. try a night feeding if you think they'll be more awake at night!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"