2nd Trimester

Are there any muscle relaxers safe when pregnant?

I pulled a muscle in my low back on Thursday and am still in pretty intense pain. Heat and ice barely dulls it. I still cannot bend over or walk "normally". I have not gone to the doctor, mostly because what exactly can they do for me while pregnant? I assume I cannot take most painkillers or muscle relaxers - although this is a assumption, I have not actually researched it.

Thoughts? Advice? Ideas on what I can do to help this pain GO AWAY?!?!

~Lisa~
Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Re: Are there any muscle relaxers safe when pregnant?

• If you can't get a hold of your doctor because of the holiday, call a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist. They can look up any OTC or Rx drug, or may have a recommendation from their experience.

Hope you feel better! If you can, a massage might help, too. 

• I was told muscle relaxers are an absolute no by my OB. Maybe a prenatal massage would help or one of those vibrator looking contraptions? What about a nice bath? You can take a Tylenol or an Advil, but if it's not even going to put a dent in the pain then why bother?
    Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageluvdv8:
    I was told muscle relaxers are an absolute no by my OB. Maybe a prenatal massage would help or one of those vibrator looking contraptions? What about a nice bath? You can take a Tylenol or an Advil, but if it's not even going to put a dent in the pain then why bother?

I kinda figured they were all a NO. That is why I haven't called doctor or gone to Urgent Care. They can't DO anything for me, so I don't want to waste anyone's time or a co-pay!

I have taken Tylenol off and on, but even that barely touches the pain. I have the same opinion as you stated - why bother?

Urgh. So annoyed.

~Lisa~
    Mommy to Rachel 1.15.06 and Ashley 5.17.11
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • My friend suffered from severe migraines. Her first pregnancy she did nothing for them other than the basic pain relievers like Tylenol. Second pregnancy came along and her doc said THERE WERE safe drugs that were stronger she could take. I would ask your doctor. I take a category C drug every day for my asthma... it is that or end up in the hospital after a few days... Please call and ask the doc on Monday... it would be silly to be in pain for days and days when there was something you could take.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • They may be able to give you some stronger pain relievers, but not an actual muscle relaxer. Your uterus just happens to be a muscle and complications can arise if you take muscle relaxers...Hope you feel better!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My NP said ibuprofen was ok until third tri. It seems that it's a class B for the first two trimesters, but a C or D for third trimester. There is a specific heart defect that can develop in third tri only. I had a huge knot in my back, and she suggested it. Hot water (like the shower) was a huge help, too.
  • I was prescribed muscle relaxers called flexeril by my doctor because I have a muscle by my spine that is causing me extreme backpain.  I also was given percoset which is supposed to be safe.  Trust me, I definitely googled all of these before they even came close to going in my body!!  I haven't used the flexeril yet because my physical therapy has been helping, but just wanted to chime in with what I was told.
    Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

11/2013- Diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis
    07/2014- emergency surgery to remove hemorrhaging cyst first RE missed, removed endo from fallopian tubes, hsg done, d&c performed to remove polyphs in uterus, femvue done, put on dexamethasone and metformin
    08/2014- miscarriage, second RE refuses to mark down in charts, switch again
    03/2016- IUI #1, waiting for results on April 17
  • Flexeril is category B. There are drugs available besides Tylenol if the pain is that severe, so it doesn't hurt to talk to your doctor.

I've had severe bronchitis this week and ended up in the ER even after seeing my doctor. Originally when I got sick, I didn't want to take anything, but not being able to breathe eventually changes that. I ended up on several category B and C medications, including a narcotic cough medicine and home nebulizer breathing treatments. So doctors will prescribe things to you if the benefits outweigh the risks.

p
  • I recently had a really bad sinus infection and was getting severe headaches. The pain was causing my blood pressure to go up so my OB prescribed be vicodin.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • To piggy back on PPs, Flexeril is safe; AND, I have taken it several times throughout my pregnancy for a severe back injury.  My baby is fine, and it works well.  Don't suffer. 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • You can go to a chiropractor, they can help. Also most doctors have lists of things they can prescribe pregnant women.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"