Breastfeeding
Options

Being sick = supply tanking

This is my first time posting on this board as I have never had any problems BFing and have always had a great supply. I've had a cold for the past nearly 3 weeks. I haven't been taking any medicine obviously. I've been to the doctor and it's not anything more. I also have a little bit of allergies going on from BILs darn cat.

The past few days, DD seems to be more hungry. I put her to the breast and she sucks for a minute and then gets frustrated until I have my letdown. Then will suck for a minute after that before getting upset again. Then I end up switching her to the other side. She is usually upset after she is done on that side too. She gets solids twice a day is BFing every 2-3 hours on demand. For the past week or so, she has been STTN. She also seems to have enough wet diapers, but seems to be still hungry. She is happy throughout the day for the most part.

Tonight, she woke up an hour after we put her down and I had one bag of milk in the freezer DH gave her which was like 5 oz. She drank it all. We're having a hard time getting her back down now.

I don't know if it's because I'm sick that my supply has decreased or if DD is going through a growth spurt or both. I really don't want to have to give formula, but of course I will if it comes down to it. I have been drinking lots of water and trying to eat more. I just bought some mother's milk tea. What else can I do? Has anyone else been through this and gotten their supply back?

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Being sick = supply tanking

• Options
    imageAmyG*:

6 month growth spurt.

you may also be run down from cold + holidays.

get some chicken soup, gatorade and extra sleep soon.

Thank you for your response. I definitely need more sleep, it's hard though since DH works midnights and although DD started STTN, I still wake every 2-3 hours. I will try the gatorade and chicken soup as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The good thing about you being sick is that you'll be passing antibodies onto your little one! I remember when I was sick I would just guzzle water, breastfeed and sleep! Don't worry about your supply dropping, it will raise back up as demand increases. Just breastfeed as much as you can. Demand = Supply. If you nurse her more often, even if it's a half an ounce at time, your supply will improve.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"