Special Needs
Options

Auntie - Question about something in your reply to a post

Hi,

You wrote this in response to a post about a certain type of therapy:

The thinking currently is that the traumatic dysfunctional birth may be a function of a minimally neurologically damaged fetus rather than the fetus/child being damaged by a delivery gone bad.

I'd like to read more about this; what research/current thinking do you mean?

Thanks,

Melissa

Re: Auntie - Question about something in your reply to a post

• Options

Sorry not Auntie, but just wanted to add a comment.

Our neurologist told us that DS's delivery was so difficult because he was already hypertonic (hence the rarity with him).

He says most babies that have difficult deliveries have tone issue which is already in utero meaning that the baby is already having neurological issues prior to the delivery.

• Options
    imageam369:

Our neurologist told us that DS's delivery was so difficult because he was already hypertonic (hence the rarity with him).

He says most babies that have difficult deliveries have tone issue which is already in utero meaning that the baby is already having neurological issues prior to the delivery.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. No one ever mentioned this to us but it makes sense.  I was induced @ 41 weeks b/c I developed high blood pressure, and labor was loooooooong.  DS wasn't breathing when he finally came out (I remember yelling, "Why isn't he crying?" His 1 minute Apgar was 2, 5 minute was 8 or 9.  And, he was diagnosed w/mild hypotonia @ 2 months by the developmental pedi who did his early intervention eval (he was born w/hearing loss).

Also, I just read your fabulous blog!  Eli is adorable.  My son had really bad reflux  (constant screaming, could not be put down on his back, would suck his bottle and push it away at the same time) that was not helped by zantac or prevacid, until the developmental pedi we saw at 2 months told us to increase the zantac to a really high dose (can't recall exactly what), and give him mylanta in am and pm (can't recall for how long).  Anyway, the high dose of zantac worked in a couple of weeks.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagethefuturemrskudla:
    imageam369:

Hi,

Thanks for replying. No one ever mentioned this to us but it makes sense.  I was induced @ 41 weeks b/c I developed high blood pressure, and labor was loooooooong.  DS wasn't breathing when he finally came out (I remember yelling, "Why isn't he crying?" His 1 minute Apgar was 2, 5 minute was 8 or 9.  And, he was diagnosed w/mild hypotonia @ 2 months by the developmental pedi who did his early intervention eval (he was born w/hearing loss).

Also, I just read your fabulous blog!  Eli is adorable.  My son had really bad reflux  (constant screaming, could not be put down on his back, would suck his bottle and push it away at the same time) that was not helped by zantac or prevacid, until the developmental pedi we saw at 2 months told us to increase the zantac to a really high dose (can't recall exactly what), and give him mylanta in am and pm (can't recall for how long).  Anyway, the high dose of zantac worked in a couple of weeks.  

thanks!!! we're going to have to back to the pedi GI soon so I'll be bringing it up with him then.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"