December 2010 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Questions/Help...

Hi all, I am a frequent lurker but I haven't posted too much yet!  My LO was born on 12/21 and we are working on getting the hang of BF. 

My real questions are about duration of feedings and switching sides vs "emptying" one breast.  When I saw the Pediatrician they day after we left the hospital, they had me do 20-25 minutes on one side only for each feeding.  We are still using this as a guide, aiming to empty the breast and get to the hindmilk, then offer the second side only if he seems still hungry after burping.  I am not sure anymore if this is "right"...can you guys tell me how long each of your feedings are? Are you staying on one breast for the full feeding, or switching at a certain point or halfway? How frequently are you feeding on average per day?

So right now our feedings are usually about 25 minutes on one breast, sometimes up to 40 minutes one 2 breasts for especially hungry feedings, and we are probably feeding about 8-9 times every 24 hours.  Is this similar to what you guys are doing?  Are we way off base? Its working pretty well on diaper production and baby seems happy hunger-wise(though he doesn't like to sleep in a crib or bassinet, prefers our arms!) but it always helps to hear other perspectives.

Thanks in advance for your replies! I would love to hear from you guys!

Re: Breastfeeding Questions/Help...

• Options

I don't think there's necessarily any "right" way to do it, unless you have oversupply or undersupply issues.  I nurse on one side until she's done and then offer the other if she still seems hungry.  I had some oversupply issues at first, so we did block nursing (two nursings in a row on one side).  As long as diaper output is good and baby seems happy, you are fine.

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is really similar to what we're doing.  I let her "finish" on one side, burp and then offer the other side.  She'll usually take the other side, but then falls asleep after about 5 minutes. :)  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm aiming for 20ish minutes on each side for each feeding. My milk just came in today though, so it may change, but that's what the LC at the hospital told me to do.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was kind of wondering the same thing.  My pedi said 30 minutes on one side was the limit-I think mainly to work on building supply.  My LO sometimes will do more than that and I am trying not to cut him off, but sometimes I think he is just messing around. Lately he has only been wanting one boob too, but will want to eat again in 2 hours.  It is good to see what others are up to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"