Special Needs
Options

reintroducing casein

We've been doing the GFCF diet since August (we started both at the same time) and eliminated soy back in November. 

This past Monday we started introducing casein. The only reaction we've noticed was loose stool with one of the twins.

Since we haven't seen any behavior reaction, should I counted it as safe? should I give it more time? having loose stool, would it be consider a 1st sign?

Thanks! 

Re: reintroducing casein

• Options
    Yes, change in stool is a sign that the body is having trouble digesting/processing the protein correctly.
  • Options

I also noticed that their eczema is coming back. I guess we're pulling the plug.

thanks mama!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was going to say that I would remove and reintroduce casein again to ensure that the loose stool was because of it.  Babies poop changes so often it's hard to know that it's the exact cause of the loose stool.

But since their excema is back I would say it's a reaction.

• Options

SORRY: TMI. How do his poops smell? How do they look? Do they feel grainy?

Here is my thinking about GFCF (we are GFCFSFCFDF :) and behaviors. G&C do not cause bad behaviors. Painful tummy and cloudy brain do. One day of tummy ache from an allergen is no big deal, but as the pains continue, you will see your LO starting to exhibit unwanted behaviors as a reaction to pain and discomfort.

The goal of the diet is to heal the GI issues. Probioticss and Enzymes aid that process. However, it takes time. So your LO probably needs more time. Do you do biomed?

• Options
    imageSobachka:

Here is my thinking about GFCF (we are GFCFSFCFDF :) and behaviors. G&C do not cause bad behaviors. Painful tummy and cloudy brain do. One day of tummy ache from an allergen is no big deal, but as the pains continue, you will see your LO starting to exhibit unwanted behaviors as a reaction to pain and discomfort.

The goal of the diet is to heal the GI issues. Probioticss and Enzymes aid that process. However, it takes time. So your LO probably needs more time. Do you do biomed?

Hi!,

Their poops smell pretty acidic, I couldn't tell you if they are grainy.

Usually when they are not feeling well they regress. One twin has OCD and stims more than the other and these behavior are a little more intense when they are sick, I guess I as expecting the same this time. We're currently using probiotics, vitamins and fish oil. Hopefully at the end of this time we start doing some test, but since we have twins its going to be expensive.  

Thanks!

• Options

Are you working with a DAN! doctor? Looks like you are doing all teh right things. I like enzymes because they help break down food for better absorbtion. I also know that most kids have yeast, and so you may need something for that.

My DS could not digest fish oil, but it is a great supplement. 

RE: testing. It depends what you are testing for. All insurances cover parasites stool tests, etc. If you are thinking about heavy metal testing (hair, blood, etc) - yes, they will be expensive and they are not always accurate. Besides, if your kids have metals, are you ready to chelate?

TACA is a great webite for all this stuff, and I am happy to share whatever I have learned. But I do think you need to cut out casein again.

GL!

• Options
    imageZeidy01:
    imageSobachka:

Hi!,

Their poops smell pretty acidic, I couldn't tell you if they are grainy.

Usually when they are not feeling well they regress. One twin has OCD and stims more than the other and these behavior are a little more intense when they are sick, I guess I as expecting the same this time. We're currently using probiotics, vitamins and fish oil. Hopefully at the end of this time we start doing some test, but since we have twins its going to be expensive.  

Thanks!

Regarding tests, you don't need a charade of expensive tests in the beginning. OAT (organic acid test) is the number one test with the most comprehensive information regarding your child's digestive tract. My DAN said, if you can't afford anything else, do the OAT and you'll pretty much know what to do based on the results.

If you go on the Great Plains Lab website, the OAT costs around $200, even if you pay out of pocket. Here's the link:

https://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/full_oat.asp

The good thing about it is that you can do it in the comfort of your own home, it's a urine test, so nothing painful for your kids and it's easy-peesy. They pee in the cup and you overnight it. The only thing you need is your pedi/DAN to sign off on it. When I did it the first time, I didn't have a DAN yet and so my regular pedi signed off on it. Very user-friendly and not expensive as some other tests can be. If you can affored to "splurge", do the OAT + yest culture combo.

Leave the rest for later or for your DAN to decide what, if anything you need to test for additionally.

• Options

Thanks guys. 

We don't currently have a DAN! doctor but we'll be consulting with an alternative doctor.

Hopanka, thanks for the info. I can have my pedi sign off on it.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"