2nd Trimester
Options

Telling the new boss....and nervous!

I was unemployed for nearly 9 months this year, and finally found a job in a completely new industry!  It was cut-throat getting in the door, and within the first 2 weeks the boss fired about 80% of those hired at the same time as me - including one other soon-to-be-mom.  (We opened a retail store.) I kept my mouth shut about my pregnancy since I was not sure how this would go over. It's been 3 weeks now, and while mgmt has made it clear that I am here to stay and will quickly join them in a mgmt role, I'm still scared to "come clean" about the new baby.  I can hide the bump for only another month, but no more.  (The dress code is over-sized men's polos!) Any one been in a similar situation?  How do I broach the subject?   I don't want to be untrustworthy, I'm just scared to lose the job it took so long to find!! Please help!

Re: Telling the new boss....and nervous!

• Options

They cannot fire you for being pregnant. It's against the law. And since it sounds like you've done a wonderful job, and have no complaints, it would be hard to argue it would be for cause.

Good luck! I hope all goes well. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageJaqiDec04:

They cannot fire you for being pregnant. It's against the law. And since it sounds like you've done a wonderful job, and have no complaints, it would be hard to argue it would be for cause.

Good luck! I hope all goes well. 

Right, they can't legally fire your for being pregnant.  Depending on how long you'll be employed with them when you have your baby though will depend on whether or not they are by law required to hold your position.  Were you pregnant when you started?  FMLA kicks in after twelve months of employment but even then only requires that your employer hold your position (or one of equivalent rank/pay) until you return from maternity leave.  That being said if they do not want to continue employing a pregnant woman they will find other ways to "let you go" and being that they've already let go 80% of the people that were hired along with you it doesn't seem like they'd have a difficult time coming up with a justifiable reason.

If I were you I'd start documenting any praises/accolades you receive at work and save any emails you might get in regards to getting promoted to management level.  Good luck....the sooner you tell them the better. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good luck! I believe a lot of woman wait to tell their employers! They wait to make sure everything goes okay & it's nobody else's business really. Just go in confident, with a smile, & be strong! Sounds like they already love having you work for them & a few weeks of maturity leave are nothing when it comes to having a great employee long term :) 

Photobucket
    Landon & Porter
    1-10-07 & 5-11-11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"