Single Parents
Options

What next?

I'm going tomorrow to file for child support and food stamps. H will have all his things out by Monday. Things are moving along and I am in a very single-minded place right now. But I'm stumped as to what I am supposed to do next. Is it just a waiting game now. We are not filing for divorce YET, so I don't know if I need to contact a lawyer now or wait. I only bring home about 1200 a month so I can't really afford one right now. Any advice? 

Re: What next?

• Options
    Even if you can't afford a lawyer, you can often meet with them for a shorter period of time (like a half hour) and have a lesser fee, just to get some legal advice.  This is what I would recommend, in order to make sure all of your ducks are in a row.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I know that lawyers here have free consultations so that you explain your situation and see what your next step is. Also, a few friends of my mother's who have gotten divorced have not had to pay for their lawyer--their H has footed the bill. IDK how commonplace that is, but worth looking into. But if he's moving out you need to have something legal in place to ensure that he's providing you with what you need.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecoraandmike:
    I know that lawyers here have free consultations so that you explain your situation and see what your next step is. Also, a few friends of my mother's who have gotten divorced have not had to pay for their lawyer--their H has footed the bill. IDK how commonplace that is, but worth looking into. But if he's moving out you need to have something legal in place to ensure that he's providing you with what you need.

You can try to get STBXH for the bill, we WERE going to try to do this at one point.  I'm not sure all of the stipulations about this.

• Options

You can also try to find a lawyer that will take payments.  I know mine will take very minimal payments as long as I am paying on it.

Ditto tifanico on legal services.  

Can you apply for CS if you haven't filed or are legally separated?    

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

You can also try to find a lawyer that will take payments.  I know mine will take very minimal payments as long as I am paying on it.

Ditto tifanico on legal services.  

Can you apply for CS if you haven't filed or are legally separated?    

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    imagetifanico:

Look at Legal aid for your state. LINK W

Why are not you filling for divorce? Just curious. 

CS procedures might take a long time depending on the state and how much your STBX cooperates. 

Are you staying at your house or are you planning to move to a diffeferent place? Do you have a plan on who is taking care of LO while you work? There is child care assistance that you can take a look in your state.

GL

We aren't filing yet because I want to be sure there is no other way, I'm having a hard giving up on our marriage despite the fact that he wants to move out.

For right now I am staying at the house we rent. I'm hoping CS covers rent. My mom and MIL have always taken turns watching LO while we work so that will continue and H will have them on his days off as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"