High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Not happy with what I'm being told Re:GD

So today at 35 weeks + I came home with a testing kit. My levels have always been under the "acceptable" limit, I'm 35 weeks and my growth US last week had baby measuring 4.5 lbs, so clearly NOT concerned with me having a 10lb baby.  

Today in the office, after two bowls of Lucky Charms for breakfast, my 2hr glucometer test results were at the ideal FASTING level.

What the hell? I'm really not comfortable with the fact that I walked out with god knows how much money's worth of testing kits and warnings, when my levels aren't elevated. I was "borderline" for the 2hr glucose tolerance test (the one with the drink), but still technically under the acceptable ranges with all of the blood samples taken. And again today, clearly not within the range of needing to test. Especially this late in the game.

I don't know, I'm annoyed and confused...Am I missing something maybe?  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Not happy with what I'm being told Re:GD

• Options
    That seems odd. Did you ask the doctor why? I would call up and say you were just wondering what was going on and why you had to test. Maybe they are just being cautious?? Better to be safe than sorry...the doctor must see something in order to have you sent home with tests like that. I would just call back and ask.
    -Donna Married 11/19/09 Pregnancy #1: Son born March 22, 2011 after 3+ long months on bed rest due to PIH Pregnancy #2: Early miscarriage Pregnancy #3: Are we crazy for 2 under 2? Due 11/9/2012, diagnosed as Chronic HBP for this pregnancy along with gestational diabetes BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm not sure if I'm understanding totally.  Are you saying during the glucose test with the drink it was borderline, but every time you check your sugar it is normal?  Are you taking any medicines? 

If that is what you are saying, I can tell you prior to getting pregnant I was borderline diabetic and they still have me checking my sugar 4 times a day and everytime they are totally normal and this is with me totally failing the 3 hour glucose that I had to do.  But granted mine are perfect with me taking Metformin.  If they don't have you on any medicine then I would say that is super strange.  However, I do know at any point even though you are 35 weeks I was told by the Diabetes counselor I see that it can change day to day, and perhaps they just want you to monitor it for that drastic change.  If you are concerned though ask your Dr. why.  Good Luck though!

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies. Yes, I definitely need to check in with my doctor when her office re-opens next week. I'm just frustrated at the lack of communication how what I'm being told doesn't seem to match with what is on my actual med charts.

With the drink during the glucose tolerance test over 2hrs my sugars ended at 8.4, they should have been 8.2. So there was evidence of some insulin resistance. So my doctor set me up with an appt to see a dietitian. Since I was diagnosed with complete previa (resolved at 30weeks), my normal excercise plan had long gone out the window so I would agree that my metabolism has taken as serious butt-kicking, and we thought maybe I should check in with a professional to make sure my diet is in check because after 20yrs of high activity levels, that was a huge change.

So today I went to the hospital and did NOT see a dietitian, but a nurse who checked my sugar which was within the fasting range (after an abnormally sugar infested meal for me!), and gave me all of the testing stuff for monitoring at home. The whole time I'm pointing out the numbers and the fact that the baby is measuring bang on and questioning where the reasoning is coming from and not really getting an answer.

I just feel like the numbers were ignored, I had an appt with someone I wasn't even told I'd be seeing, and no one seems to really have a clue what's going on. I'm not opposed to being cautious, but a little annoyed that we somehow jumped from "maybe we should check your diet" to "you need to check your levels 5 times a day", and none of my questions were answered nor were decisions justified through what I was being told or the actual numbers I was being shown.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Oh sorry! And no, I'm not on any medications!
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but I will say that different foods can affect your body drastically.  I could eat a huge bowl of Froot Loops for breakfast and have a perfect number, but a bowl of oatmeal would sky rocket my sugar levels. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Well, the monitoring is annoying, but if you're able to achieve good numbers through diet alone, that's great news and means the rest of your pregnancy should be fairly normal. I was somewhat borderline when I got my diagnosis (failed my one hour and two hour, but was fine at fasting and three hours). After monitoring four times daily for a few weeks, the doctor let me drop back to two checks daily since my numbers were all normal, and I was allowed to go to my due date, rather than having an early induction.

However, I'd echo the pps that if you have questions you should call back and pursue getting them answered. Your pregnancy is too important to not get your questions answered and be an advocate for yourself. GL!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageChelle112:
    I'm not sure, but I will say that different foods can affect your body drastically.  I could eat a huge bowl of Froot Loops for breakfast and have a perfect number, but a bowl of oatmeal would sky rocket my sugar levels. 

This is very true.  I can't eat cereals but old fashioned, homemade oatmeal is fine for me.  It's kind of trial and error to discover what works and doesn't work.

My number were low for two weeks straight, so I asked my Dr. to check my meter and make sure that it was working right.  You might want to ask about that if you are concerned. 

• Options

Use your testing as a tool to show them next time how good your levels look. It's a PITA, but your only way to see how things really look day by day.

My docs have put me on 2x/week NSTs and want to schedule a C-section date just because I tested high for GD, along with being pregnant with twins. My blood sugar levels are great day by day, though. I'm fine with monitoring the crap out of my babies -- but I do expect the docs to stop treating me like my babies are at imminent risk when they see all the great blood sugar levels, ultrasounds and NSTs. And it helps me feel better about how the babies are doing to see their progress so often.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"