Military Families

How long do I have tricare once my hubby is out??

My friend's hubby just got out and she said that they screwed her out of the 3 months of coverage that she was suppose to get when her husband got out.  My husband is getting medically discharged (it was suppose to happen months ago, and now it won't be happening until AFTER our child is born) and I'm hoping that it actually is 3 months of coverage we're suppose to get so I can have an easier transition.  Does anyone know??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How long do I have tricare once my hubby is out??

• DH got out this past July, and the date of his ETS date was the day our coverage was canceled.
  • imageRubyRed1085:
    DH got out this past July, and the date of his ETS date was the day our coverage was canceled.

Ugh, not good news... but thanks for the heads up!   

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself when it happened. Good luck!
  • This is something that everyone needs to realize when their spouses get out.  The family members loose their coverage immediately.
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Yes, your benefits end the day of ETS.  However, because he is being medically discharged, I *believe* that counts as an involuntary separation, so you may want to look into being eligible for TAMP, which (as far as I understand) extends your Tricare eligibility for 180 days. 

If you are not eligible under TAMP, you can purchase health care through the CHCBP program for up to 18 months after separation.

Good luck!

• Since it is medical you are entitled to 180 days. If he is being retired or on the temporary disability list he can purchase Tricare as a retiree.
  • My husband is in the process of being medically discharged and he was told we will get 180 days of coverage.  If it is just ETS then his last day in is the last day of coverage.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"