Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Swaddling in swing?

For those of you that use a swing with your LO, do you swaddle them first? My LO is refusing the bassinet at this time (just only almost a week old) and that makes for some fun nights. We have a swing and I put her in it briefly today. She liked it at first, but then started wailing.

Just wandering if it's okay for me to swaddle her first and if so, how do I buckle her in? My swing has a lap buckle with space for the two legs to go through. Not sure how to handle this when she's swaddled. 

Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Swaddling in swing?

• If you think she'll sleep better in the swing swaddles, then swaddle her.  You don't have to buckle her...she's not going anywhere.  Trust me. 
  • i dont think you can swaddle and use the swings buckle.  i have the same kind of swing and i know its awful to say but ive swaddled and stuck griffin in the swing for a couple min, unbuckled.  but the swing was set on low and i was right there beside him the whole time.
  • Loading the player...
  • We swaddle and then I adjust the swing buckles so that they are on the largest/longest setting and strap him in.
  • I don't use the straps when she is swaddled in the swing. I just do it while I'm in the room.
  • We swaddle in the bouncy seat without strapping her in.  She doesn't budge.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a swing or bouncer with a breathable fabric that could go across a swaddled baby?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our LO is two weeks old and we've always swaddled him and placed him in the swing since he was just a week old. We don't use the belt that is included right now, just because he doesn't move at all. He couldn't be happier then when he is swaddled and swinging!
  • The Summer Infant SwaddleMes have a small hole in the back so you can swaddle baby and pull the belt through so he/she will be buckled in.

The Nest/Bump sucks and won't let me change my location. I'm in Arkansas, not Florida.
  • imagewife1014:
    If you think she'll sleep better in the swing swaddles, then swaddle her.  You don't have to buckle her...she's not going anywhere.  Trust me. 
    This exactly. We do it every night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I still swaddle my 13 week old in the swing. But PLEASE make sure to use the lap belt at least, because my DD fell OUT of her swing at around 8 weeks old even thought I thought she couldnt' go any where. She was swaddled and I thought there was no way she could do it. My swing has a belt that comes apart so you can use the part between the legs by itself or with the shoulder straps. I always just put the belt between her legs and fasten it but don't use the straps. When I swaddle her I only use the blanket in a triangle and swaddle her arms around the middle but leave her legs loose since she likes to kick her legs and this way I can still use the lap belt between the legs. When she fell out I had the swing going front to back and she was sorta sleepy but not asleep. I was in the next room for just a few minutes, I heard her start to fuss alittle, then before I went back into the room, DH and I heard a thump. I said "what was that?" He ran into the living room and she had fallen out of her swing on her head. She didn't cry till I picked her up, then she screamed. She was fine but I was SO upset and was relieved she hadn't hit the leg bar but fell over it onto the carpet. So PLEASE make sure to use the belts even if you don't think they can go anywhere. she wiggled enough that she wiggled herself to the edge I think, then the swing just dumped her out somehow.
  •  Don't worry if she doesn't take to the swing right away. Mine didn't seem to either. There were times he'd wail as soon as I put him in the swing, and the swing wasn't enough to make him stop.
     Sometimes I'd have to walk him around a bit first to get him a little drowsy and then place him in the swing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My LO sleeps in her swing almost every night. I don't swaddle her, instead I take a blanket and tuck it in all around her and I make sure it is tucked in good and to the point where it is tight enough that she can't get her arms out... she loves it and sleeps wonderful like this!

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks all. I realized that with the Miracle Blanket, I can probably pull out LO's legs and strap them in. PP, thanks for sharing your story. That's scary! Glad your LO was okay.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagehailey1312:
    I still swaddle my 13 week old in the swing. But PLEASE make sure to use the lap belt at least, because my DD fell OUT of her swing at around 8 weeks old even thought I thought she couldnt' go any where. She was swaddled and I thought there was no way she could do it. My swing has a belt that comes apart so you can use the part between the legs by itself or with the shoulder straps. I always just put the belt between her legs and fasten it but don't use the straps. When I swaddle her I only use the blanket in a triangle and swaddle her arms around the middle but leave her legs loose since she likes to kick her legs and this way I can still use the lap belt between the legs. When she fell out I had the swing going front to back and she was sorta sleepy but not asleep. I was in the next room for just a few minutes, I heard her start to fuss alittle, then before I went back into the room, DH and I heard a thump. I said "what was that?" He ran into the living room and she had fallen out of her swing on her head. She didn't cry till I picked her up, then she screamed. She was fine but I was SO upset and was relieved she hadn't hit the leg bar but fell over it onto the carpet. So PLEASE make sure to use the belts even if you don't think they can go anywhere. she wiggled enough that she wiggled herself to the edge I think, then the swing just dumped her out somehow.

OMG!  That's awful.  I will start buckling my LO in her bouncy seat.

• I swaddle her with her legs out, then the belt works like normal. We have a miracle blanket. Please don't do what other PPs said and belt her in! There is no reason not to. It's so easy to swaddle with the legs out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"