Parenting
Options

Really, you guys never eat hamburger helper?

We had it last night, DH made it while I took the kids to get their picture taken with their cousins. That and canned corn.

For us canned is better than not at all. .

Re: Really, you guys never eat hamburger helper?

• Options

Never. But more because my H and kids hate it. I do occasionally make a casserole that is similar...hamburger, macaroni, cheese, tomato sauce...so essentially the same, but only for me/kids.

I have made a couple of the chicken helper ones - the Asian Chicken Fried Rice or something for a quick meal - maybe 2-3x/yr.  But again, H won't eat it. 

• Options
    I honestly can't stand Hamburger helper, but DH makes it for him and DS when I'm at work.
    Marcey
    Kaden William 11/4/06 and Dawson Michael 6/30/10
    Dawson's first birthday - at the zoo
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I grew up eating it! Smile  But, for me it is just as easy to brown some hamburger, dump in a can of tomatoes, macaroni, season it up, and call it good.  Canned corn is the one canned veggie I buy just because I simply cannot stand the taste of any of the others.  We are, for the most part, a raw veggie family.
  • Options
    I love cheeseburger hamburger helper without shame. Amarah won't eat it b/c she hate ground beef/ground turkey. And, I love canned corn. Fresh corn (except on the cob) makes me want to throw up.

• Options
    MH (and the kids) love Hamburger Helper.   Yes, we eat it sometimes.  (They now come in whole wheat : )

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am not a food snob, at all.  But I can honestly say we don't eat hamburger helper.  I do put elbow macaroni, hamburger (cooked and drained), some water and jarred spaghetti sauce in a pan w/a  can of corn and simmer until noodles are cooked.

Same thing -- just not boxed.

And I'm SHOCKED I can actually say that (for some reason)!  :)

• Options

I grew up eating it and love the stuff. I've never actually bought Hamburger Helper as an adult, but I have made this a handful of times over the past few years. Same basic thing, LOL:

• Options
    never, but I'm a vegetarian-and even though my family is not...that's just not something on my radar as quick to make.  If I'm throwing a fast dinner together it's going to be something I will eat, too!
    Nathan 7-13-06 ~ Elizabeth 4-12-09 ~ Zachary 8-5-11
  • Options

We don't anymore. It sounds weird, but ever since I quit smoking I don't really like very processed foods. It's too salty for me.

Not everything, though. I love me some Kraft mac and cheese. I could eat that every day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nope, but I've made a few hamburger casseroles before...shephards pie, tater tot casserole a la Duggars, etc
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've never had it.  My mom had it once, before I was born, and didn't like it, so she never made it.  She and I have similar taste in food, so I've never made it since I don't think I'd like it.

ETA: My older daughter won't eat ground beef or ground turkey, so that's another reason I won't make it.  No point if one of my kids won't eat a single part of the meal because it's touched ground beef (and while I don't give in to kids not wanting what I've made for dinner, she gags on ground meat, and that's when I do let them not eat what I've made!).

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I will eat just about anything, but I have had Hamburger Helper exactly one time in my life. My I was in high school, I begged my mom to buy it. She did and I hated it. I don't even remember why, but it made a strong enough impression on me to never try it again.
    DS1 10-06 and DS2 9-08 and baby #3 EDD 9-05-12
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have never had it. I have also never had a Chef Boyardee product. However, I am in no way a food snob OR a good cook. I juts make the same things over and over - like stir fry or veggie soup. I am beyond boring with a rotation of about 10 meals, tops. (oh, and a lot of take out or Trader Joes dinners mixed in)
  • Options
    All I know about Hamburger Helper is that it helps your hamburger help her make a great meal.
  • Options

My kids and DH love Hamburger Helper. It might be the most requested meal around here.  I try to limit it to once every 2-3 weeks and usually on a night I'm working since it's quick and easy, but we have it at least that often.  I stock up on it every time it's on sale and I have a coupon so we must go through more than I think.  Embarrassed

FWIW - We also love canned corn and frozen veggies.

• Options
    I've honestly never had it in my life.  I don't look down on those that do eat it.  We just choose not to.   And, I'm definitely not 'holier than thou.'   It just sounds kind of gross..... maybe I shouldn't knock it till I try it. =)
  • Options
    imageMrsStubbs:

We had it last night, DH made it while I took the kids to get their picture taken with their cousins. That and canned corn.

For us canned is better than not at all. .

I LOVE IT.

with morning star veggie crumbles and mixed veggies added.

yuuuuuuuuuuuum!

• Options
    We have had other packaged meals, like the Campbell's Bakes, but we've tried HH only once.  No one liked it, so I've never bought it again.
  • Options

no....never.

reminds me of poor college days....ramen and hamburger helper were staples...and i ate enough that I can't eat it anymore.

Ditto all the "easy enough to make without the box" people....we make stuff that is similar without using the box.

• Options
    That shiz is good!  We NEVER eat it, but I did grow up eating it once in a blue moon. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Honeslty, never. I think someone made it for me once?

We don't typically used boxed food, i.e. Rice a Roni, pasta sides, etc. We eat mac n cheese from a box a handful of times a year, same w/ Rice a Roni. We just make rice in our cooker and add chix broth, etc. It's cheaper to buy grains in bulk than boxes, less sodium, etc. 

DD 7.28.06 * DS 3.29.10

Christmas 2011
  • Options
    Never.  I think I had it a couple of times growing up, but as an adult, never.  The sodium content would probably kill me. LOL  I try to use stuff that is processed w/ a lot of sodium as little as possible--that rules out a LOT of canned or packaged foods. 
  • Options

Not Hamburger Helper but I've done a few of these on nights where I need something quick  https://www.macaronigrillathome.com/ not the healthiest but I can add chicken after I put some aside for myself and I like that.

• Options

We eat the beef stroganoff one.  DH won't eat any of the tomato sauce ones...let's just say the last time he did a stomach virus hit.

We don't eat it often, but it's better than fast food.

Ethan George 11.4.06 Marcus Harvey 3.4.11
  • Options

I don't like the Hamburger Helper but we occassionally have the tuna helper on rough nights!

• Options
    imagelizard76:

We eat the beef stroganoff one.  DH won't eat any of the tomato sauce ones...let's just say the last time he did a stomach virus hit.

Really, it's not. Just googled it.

HH (cheeseburger):

300 calories, 13g fat, 870 mg sodium, 50 mg cholesterol

McD's cheeseburger:

330 calories, 14g fat, 790 mg sodium, 45 mg cholesterol

Why we don't eat it? It's gross and completely unhealthy. As I said in the other post, if I want to eat something that unhealthy, I'd rather drive through Wendy's drivethru or order pizza.  But I'm a snob, what can I say?

• Options

I've never had it. But then again, I never had boxed mac and cheese, ramen noodles, or jarred tomato sauce until college.

My mom loved to cook and so do I. I learned from her. She never followed a recipe, just always mixed this and that and it tasted amazing. Thats the one good gene i'm glad i have. I can throw a bunch of random stuff together and whip something delsih up. I never follow a recipe. I'll read one occasionally, but just for ideas; never follow it 100%

• Options

I don't eat it because I can usually throw something together that looks like some of the HH anyway, but without all the preservatives. 

• Options
    DH loves HH and has asked me to make it for him since we were dating, I never have and probably never will. We are not the best eaters, in fact this is a new years resolution for me, but for some reason it just grosses me out. I agree with GHM if I am in that much of a hurry a 4 pack of nugets and apples from McDonalds is easier with the same result.
  • Options
    imagegoodheartedmommy:
    imagelizard76:

Really, it's not. Just googled it.

HH (cheeseburger):

300 calories, 13g fat, 870 mg sodium, 50 mg cholesterol

McD's cheeseburger:

330 calories, 14g fat, 790 mg sodium, 45 mg cholesterol

Why we don't eat it? It's gross and completely unhealthy. As I said in the other post, if I want to eat something that unhealthy, I'd rather drive through Wendy's drivethru or order pizza.  But I'm a snob, what can I say?

Well, if you're at home eating HH I'd assume you're probably going to have some green beans or something similar on the side, maybe some milk to drink, some fruit, etc. 

If you're at McDonald's? Most people are going to have fries and a Coke with that hamburger. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm probably as much of a food snob as anyone else, but I'm far far far from a purist about anything. 

• Options
    Canned green beans? Or fresh ones? Because canned ones are really no healthier than fries and a burger.
  • Options
    Never had it.  I'm a vegeterian but my family isn't.  I grew up in a SUPER healthy house and am admittedly a bit of a food snob.
  • Options

imagegoodheartedmommy:
    Canned green beans? Or fresh ones? Because canned ones are really no healthier than fries and a burger.

I personally can't stand canned green beans, but assuming it's a low or no sodium variety (or rinsed) there is virtually no difference (for vitamin/mineral content) between fresh and canned (or frozen, my preference). 

Michelle
    3 boys (15, 8, 6), 1 girl (4)
  • Options
    We do...not super often but that's because I forget to defrost meat often...I suck at cooking in general.
  • Options
    Back in 95'-96' and truth be told, probably a good portion of '97 as well, I was pretty dirt poor. I was 20 y/o living w/ my boyfriend with a new baby. I couldn't find work that could justify the cost of daycare and my boyfriend made $6.50/hr. Our rent was $600/mth, so needless to say, we didn't have much if any cash, nor did we get on any government assistance other than Insurance. We ate A LOT of Hamburger Helper and Spaghetti with just Ragu back in those days. I have nothing against it as a once in a while type thing, but truth be told, I've had my fill.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Options

imageAggieCouple:
    We have had other packaged meals, like the Campbell's Bakes, but we've tried HH only once.  No one liked it, so I've never bought it again.

Those are NASTY.  Nasty.

HH, we don't eat much anymore, but I would if I had someone else to cook for.  My ex and I ate it a lot, my sister and I did, we grew up on it.

However, I usually buy the whole wheat ones, and almost always add in vegetables.

Cheesy Enchilada is the best.   Add some corn, tomatoes, and then roll it up like a taco.  Mmm.  Processed food heaven. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    My kids don't eat dairy and we don't eat dairy and meat together so they're off limits for us.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    We had it once and thought it was nasty.  I sometimes love to eat really awful stuff like that though.  Especially if DH is away.  
  • Options
    imager9stedt:

imageAggieCouple:

Those are NASTY.  Nasty.

There was only one that we liked, some sort of creamy chicken.  I always added more rice and some corn.  We tried the other flavors and didn't like them; agreed that they were nasty.  But I think they stopped making them anyway.  I used to keep at least one box in stock for nights H was making dinner. 

• Options
    What I find ironic and actually hilarious about the responses to this post is that the majority of those self proclaimed healthy eaters, purists, and those who love to point out sodium content, calories, HFCs are some of the fattest, flabbiest and out of shape moms on this board.  Purely an observation but one that makes me giggle and semi snort.  So what is it that you chunkers are eating?  Or do you guys just forget to get off the couch unless you're out shopping at Whole Foods?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"