May 2011 Moms
Options

Kevyn for a girl?

HELP!!!  DH LOVES this name!  I think its terrible!  Kevin is an obvious boys name, putting a y in it does not make it a girls name.  DH hasn't had much input with names until this one and now he refers to my belly at Kevyn.  I'm not sure there is a worse name out there...  I've told him ick, but he's set.  I've suggested many others, but he's not giving in.  I need a list of reasons why this is a terrible name so I can bring some amo to the next discussion about it.  ready go. 

Re: Kevyn for a girl?

• Options

I'm sorry but no way. I cannot stand you-neek spelling for names period. I however am not anti boys names for girls like some people though.

If you both wanted to name her Kevin (it seems like you do NOT! lol) then I'd say at least spell it correctly.

• Options
    No everyone that sees/hears the name will assume it's a boy, and she will always have to correct everyone that it's with a y.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 BFP 03/26/13 IT'S A BOY! Please Be Our Rainbow! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

All the "ammo" you need is that you hate the name. Both parents should love the name they pick for their child since they'll be calling their child that name for the rest of it's life. The second either of you settles, you're in for trouble. 

I know there are some couples out there who will settle on a name that one person loves and the other is simply OK with. But I've never heard of a couple naming their child something that one person clearly hates. It's just not fair.

When DH pushes for Kevyn again (and I agree, that's a terrible name choice for a baby girl), just tell him the answer is no. If he asks why, tell him that you hate the name, and you won't budge. However, this goes both ways. If there's a name that you absolutely love that DH hates, you can't name the baby that either. Let him know that, and start brainstorming other names until you find one you're both happy with.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Kevyn... hmmm. While I think it's sweet that your DH is getting so involved with choosing a name, Kevyn is a little different. If you liked it then that's a different story but since you don't, you should probably suggest some other names. Have you mentioned yet that a girl with that name might get easily teased in school and confused for a boy on a list of names? I went to school with a girl named Ryan and she absolutely hated being confused with a boy all the time. She didn't even use her first name and went by her middle name. Just a thought. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    YIKES!!!!  I hope he turns around!!  Not cute!  Good luck!
  • Options
    Honestly, it's NMS either.  I am not a fan of taking names and adding "y"s and other random letters to change the spelling to make them unique. 
  • Options
    Ick. One of the girls on Fat Actress was named Kevyn, I don't like it, definite veto. 
  • Options

I went to school with a Kevy, which I thought was very different but cute. Any chance of dropping the "n", at least for a nickname? 

But still, if you think its terrible, don't do it. Stay strong, I feel your pain. My husband is dead set on giving this child at least one of his family's all terrible names. (I don't know how it happened that his whole family has terrible names, but its true.) 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageMlatch:

I'm sorry but no way. I cannot stand you-neek spelling for names period

HAHAHA! WORDED PRECISELY! Kevyn is probably the most horrendous baby girl name I've heard! Tell him you don't like that, he may not like the one you pick, so find one to compromise on... if he cannot compromise on this now, it may be a rocky parenting trip together!

GOOD LUCK! Smile

• Options
    Boys name and spelled wrong. Ask your H - "Don't you love our baby? Don't you want our baby to love us?" Don't do it - put your foot down.

• Options
    no, it is not a good girl name.  On paper, she will always look like a guy.  When teachers read her name they'll say "he".  I wonder if he would have liked to be named Michelle.
  • Options
    NO WAY!!  How about other names like Peyton, Ashley, Jamie, Riley, Jordan, Charlie, Rowan, Tyler, Kennedy, Cory/Cori, Tony/Toni, Ryan, Billie/Billy, Tayler, or Alex. My mom's name is Toni and she loves it!  I even have 2 friends named Michael, they both go by Mikie. But Kevyn is not something I would consider, either.   Good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageNicKL:

I went to school with a Kevy, which I thought was very different but cute. Any chance of dropping the "n", at least for a nickname? 

ok, Kevy isn't bad....or it's not AS BAD as Kevyn.  
  • Options

First off - that's a horrible name.  Not just because it's you-neek, but it's a boy's name.

Second - you have a problem.  Didn't you each agree to have veto power over names?  End of the day, you both have to like (if not love) the names you pick out for your kids.

Edit - Way to go bump multi-post error!

Husband has cystic fibrosis. I'm a carrier. We did TESE, IVF, ICSI, and PGD. After two failed IVFs, we were blessed with our twins.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

my DH's name is Kevin and I can NOT think of that being a girls name.

There are lots of male names that you can use for a girl if he is stuck on that. I actually love boy names for girls....but Kevin does not do it for me.

Dylan, Ryne, Toni, RIley, Taylor, Dani all come to mind.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I definitely wouldn't.  Not a chance.  DD's first name is Avery, and even though we only know girls with the name Avery (and quite a few) there have been several instances where doctors or hospital staff has assumed she's a boy.  It's not prevalent in her everyday life, b/c now Avery is definitely trending to girls, so I don't worry about her--but Kevin is clearly a boy's name, no gender neutral on that at all, and she WILL run into that in her every day life, and be subjected to ridicule, I'm sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Kevin is my DH's name, so IMO it is a boy's name.

Has your H given you any reasons as to why he is so set on Kevyn for a girl's name? It just seems odd to me, like maybe he really wants it to be a boy.  

Do you have any other unisex names you like that you could suggest. Jaime, Patricia (Pat), Andrea (Andy), Christine (Chris), just some ideas. Or, could you suggest to him as a compromise that you use it as a middle name instead and have a more feminine first name?

I just think your LO is going to be mistaken for a boy on paper all the time, even though you have the placement of a "y." And then whenever people ask her name her response will have to be "Kevyn, with a Y."  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    I have to say, while I'm not a fan of Kevyn for a girl, I've always had a thing for Evan as a girl name. Not sure why, and we won't be using it, but it could be a compromise? It sounds like Kevyn, it's not a typical girl name, and it could be shortened to Evie if you're looking for something more feminine. Just a suggestion. But I'd definitely veto Kevyn! G/L!!
    natural miscarriage 11/17/08 @ roughly 4 weeks
    natural miscarriage 4/11/10 @ 9 weeks 4 days
    our miracle, Cecilia Mae, born 5/22/11
    Photobucket
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    gotta post and run here but I think Kevyn is terrible.  That said- I went to school with a girl named Kevlyn (still odd, but not awful) and my SIL is Kivlina w/ the nn Kivi (she's named after a small Alaskan villiage, my IL's are/were big hippies Big Smile)
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    No way, no how. No suggestions, just NO.
    Photobucket
    aCg 3.1.07 | hCr 5.5.11
  • Options

It's a boy's name, with a trendy misspelling.  No way would I saddle a girl with this.

There IS actually a legit female variant of the name, but it's rarely ever used...Caoimhe (pronounced KEE-vah) is a feminine name with the same root as Kevin (original spelling: Caoimhin (both are Irish Gaelic in origin)).  The anglicized variant is Keeva, which is much easier for most people here to spell/pronounce.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

1. It is a boy's name.

2. The y does not change anything except it makes it look like you can't spell.

3. This is a girl not a boy.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I gre up w/ a girl names Kevie - if that's an option...?
  • Options
    imageflutepharm87:

All the "ammo" you need is that you hate the name. Both parents should love the name they pick for their child since they'll be calling their child that name for the rest of it's life. The second either of you settles, you're in for trouble. 

I know there are some couples out there who will settle on a name that one person loves and the other is simply OK with. But I've never heard of a couple naming their child something that one person clearly hates. It's just not fair.

When DH pushes for Kevyn again (and I agree, that's a terrible name choice for a baby girl), just tell him the answer is no. If he asks why, tell him that you hate the name, and you won't budge. However, this goes both ways. If there's a name that you absolutely love that DH hates, you can't name the baby that either. Let him know that, and start brainstorming other names until you find one you're both happy with.

This.  You should both be happy with the name you pick.

• Options
    Oh man, Kevyn is bad.  Good luck!
  • Options
    Kevyn - not good.  I know a Kailyn and think that's pretty.  Or how about Kaitlyn or something else that is close. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"