Due tomorrow, no progress, need to make a decision. — The Bump
VBAC

Due tomorrow, no progress, need to make a decision.

I haven't gotten a chance to post on this board yet and I am now due tomorrow with #2, so here's my story.  I went into labor at 10 days past my due date with my son on the day I was already scheduled for an induction.  I had been contracting all day (though nothing unbearable) and decided to show up at the hospital at the time I was scheduled for the induction anyway as my contractions were getting pretty close together.  I was still barely a cm dilated but they admitted me and let me labor most of the night before starting pitocin when I still wasn't progressing.  I ended up dilating to 8 cm and then when checked again went back to 6 cm.  Doc said my cervix was swelling because the baby couldn't get down any further and it was decided that my "pelvic inlet" was too small for him to fit.  So of course it ended in a c-section. 

We have since moved and I was lucky to find a pretty supportive doctor of my desire to VBAC.  I don't think he is actually that optimistic, but he has been willing to let me try (which is apparently a real rarity where I live).  So now I am due tomorrow and have made zero progress (not even a fingertip dilated).  He will let me go until 41 weeks (next Wed) and wants to see me again on Friday so that we can make some decisions.  He said that if I was really adamant he would try to induce me, but that if conditions weren't favorable (still no dilation) then it would likely end in a c-section anyway.  Otherwise its a repeat c/s.  I know a lot can change in the next week, but I want to go in on Friday with a clear idea of what to do.  I really don't want to schedule a c/s, but I realize that the induction will lead to all of the other interventions that probably led to my c/s the first time (epidural, lack of movement and changing positions, etc - this time I wanted to go natural).  So, I guess I am just looking for some outside opinions.  Thanks!!   

Re: Due tomorrow, no progress, need to make a decision.

  • If I'm in your situation, I plan on doing as many natural induction techniques as I can - sex, acupuncture, EPO, perhaps (I'll be talking to my doctor about that, probably), walking, etc.  If that still doesn't help, I'll request to go to 42 weeks with as many NSTs they want to give me.  At that point, I will hope to get an induction with a foley catheter, possibly adding very low dose pit to that if it doesn't get things going. 

    Good luck - for what it's worth, just because you aren't showing any progress doesn't mean that things can't get going all of a sudden.  

    ETA:  Remember - you did go into labor on your own with #1.  Your body can do this.  Due dates really are only guesses.

    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I went to 41 weeks with no progress for my VBAC (well, I was effaced, but not dilating).  I opted to be induced with pitocin when a foley catheter didn't work.  I labored for almost 20 hours and successfully delivered DD!  So, I am an induced at 41 weeks VBAC success story. 

    I know it doesn't work that way for everyone and I was about 6 hours from a repeat c-section when DD finally decided to come on her own.  I am very happy with my decision.

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • this is easy for me to say because I am not in your shoes, but I think I would hold of on scheduling a c/s or inducing.  I agree with PP that I would try "natural" induction methods like walking and sex.  I think oregano is supposed to help induce labor too.  Remember though that these things only help if you are going to go into labor soon anyway.  They are just sort of a push Smile

    I made some "labor inducing meatballs" the night before I went into labor with DD.  I don't know that they helped (we also had sex that night) but I will try to find the recipe and post it.  They were really good if nothing else!

    I also think that I would wait until at least 42 weeks before scheduling anything.  EDD are just that, estimated due dates and they can be off by weeks.  Your little might just need more time to bake Smile

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I agree w/ pp try some natural inducing techniques.  Acupuncture has been known to work on some people and definitely couldn't hurt.  I tried w/ DS#1 (water broke within a week) and probably will again with DS#2.  Do everything you can before Friday and maybe you will have progress and won't have to worry. 

    Good luck.

  • Thanks everyone!  I am definitely trying to remain optimistic and thinking of and started trying some of the labor inducing techniques as well.  And it's great to hear of at least one VBAC induction story going well if it does come to that.  Smile 

    I guess now another question would be how hard to I push the doctor to letting me go past 41 weeks.  I feel like its one of those situations where I am lucky that he is even letting me go that long (according to what I have heard about other docs in my area that won't let VBACs go past 40) and not wanting to be "difficult."  Are there any legit reasons not to let a VBAC patient go past 41 weeks? 

               

  • imageOHbrideinTN:

    Thanks everyone!  I am definitely trying to remain optimistic and thinking of and started trying some of the labor inducing techniques as well.  And it's great to hear of at least one VBAC induction story going well if it does come to that.  Smile 

    I guess now another question would be how hard to I push the doctor to letting me go past 41 weeks.  I feel like its one of those situations where I am lucky that he is even letting me go that long (according to what I have heard about other docs in my area that won't let VBACs go past 40) and not wanting to be "difficult."  Are there any legit reasons not to let a VBAC patient go past 41 weeks? 

               

    I think it depends on what you consider legit ]Smile  I don't think there are (assuming mama and baby are healthy) but I also think it is just a matter of opinion.

    I don't know how much I would worry about being difficult though.  I mean this is your body, your baby, and your birth.  When the doc goes home at the end of the day he really doesn't think about you or your family, he thinks about his.  I also understand not wanting to make him mad or anything though since you sort of need him.  Its a tough place to be in I think.

    I also wanted to add that I have 3 friends who were all VBA2C who were induced and all three of them pushed their babies out.

    I also remembered that basil and pineapple are supposed to help induce labor too Smile

    Good luck!

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • If I were in your position, on Friday I would state that you are not interested in scheduling an induction or c/s (if that's how you feel).  I would consent to having a NST to ensure that baby is fine and then go from there.  My personal opinion is that as long as baby and mom are fine, I don't see the need to make anything happen artificially until 42w1d.  It is all up to how you feel though. 

    It is a tough situation to be in because like pp said you need your Dr. and at times it can be intimidating to just stand up for what you feel is right.  Just keep in mind that if they induce your body before it's ready or "force" you to have the surgery, they would be doing something completely medically unnecessary. Taking into account that you went into labor with #1 at 10 days past the EDD, I would not see the problem with you going past 41 weeks.  I would simply not show up for the induction or c/s, or call and say you are not feeling well so you need a few more days to get well.  GL!!!!! 

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not willing to be induced again (I had an awful experience last time) so my plan is to schedule my c-section for a week after my due date (the latest this doc will let me go) and hope to go into labor on my own.

    I'd rather have a scheduled c than an induction.

    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Stand your ground on how you feel about induction and rcs and how far you are willing to go. your body and your baby. remember that your doctor works for you. you pay him (or at least your insurance that you pay for does). you can do this. best of luck
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSazhrah:
    Stand your ground on how you feel about induction and rcs and how far you are willing to go. your body and your baby. remember that your doctor works for you. you pay him (or at least your insurance that you pay for does). you can do this. best of luck

    This! The only way we'll be able to up the number of women VBACing is by insisting on our right to do it. Take your DH or a support person if it'll help you refuse induction...there's no medical reason for a VBAC candidate to not be able to go past 41 weeks. I was really worried about  what my MW would suggest if I went past 41 weeks, but she ended up being very laidback about it when it finally came up. I went into labor on my own around 41w2d or so. Good luck!!

    DS1 - Feb 2008

    DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

  • I had absolutely zero progress (no dilation, no effacement) until the day I went into labor...and had a successful VBAC without even needing pitocin.  I was 2 days from my due date and had my c-section already scheduled for the following week (my doctor wouldn't induce a VBAC).   I would hold off...you could still go into labor any day!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Wait, he thinks it is safer to induce you (with Pitocin, I ASSume) than to let you go to 42 weeks? That seems counterintuitive. Pitocin is associated with a higher rate of uterine rupture, and waiting until 42 weeks is generally considered safe. Sooo....

  • I was due 3/29 and had my VBAC on 4/6 : )  One of the docs in the practice wanted to induce me at 41 weeks, but I found a doc in the same practice that would let me go to 42 weeks then induce if necessary.  Needless to say I went into labor on my own.

    I would wait it out...keep doing the NST's if that makes them happy!

    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards