Illinois Babies
Options

Great Expectations Class at Northwestern

Hi Ladies!  I just discovered there is a Chicago board.  I usually post on the May 2011 board but I look forward to visiting this board as well and getting to know you ladies.

I was wondering, has anyone attended the Great Expectations class at Northwestern?  If so, did you find it helpful and would you recommend it?  Did they give you a tour of Prentice and tell you what to expect on the big day?

I was researching their classes online and noticed its not exactly cheap so I was wondering if it is worth while to attend.  Thx!

imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Great Expectations Class at Northwestern

• Options
    Personally, I found it to be a waste of money. I took the class over the summer to prepare for my baby that was born two weeks ago. They didn't teach me anything that I didn't already know thanks to books I'd read and internet sites I spend far too much time on. The tour was definitely nice (though irrelevant for me as I was admitted to the hospital three times before delivery so I knew the drill quite well by then). You can get the tour for free though. I don't remember the details but the website for Prentice explains it. If I remember correctly, it's twice a month they offer their free tours of labor and delivery.
  • Options

imageSara714:
    Personally, I found it to be a waste of money. I took the class over the summer to prepare for my baby that was born two weeks ago. They didn't teach me anything that I didn't already know thanks to books I'd read and internet sites I spend far too much time on. The tour was definitely nice (though irrelevant for me as I was admitted to the hospital three times before delivery so I knew the drill quite well by then). You can get the tour for free though. I don't remember the details but the website for Prentice explains it. If I remember correctly, it's twice a month they offer their free tours of labor and delivery.

Thank you for your insight.  I wasn't aware they offer free tours but that is very good to know.  I'll check out the website about the free tour.  I'm mainly interested in seeing the hospital before the baby is born.  Since they offer free tours it seems like I could take a pass on the class.  Thank you!

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageSara714:

I agree. Especially if you are planning on an epidural.  

• Options

I think whether you find it worth it depends on how much research you plan on doing yourself.  Like someone else mentioned, if you are reading books, reading the internet - the class won't be exactly groundbreaking for you.  And it depends on how much reading / research your hubs or sig other may do.  Ex - if he doesn't plan on doing much on his own and relies on you, well, it might be a worthwhile class to take so he can take stuff in firsthand. 

That being said, my husband and I attended it.  In retrospect, I probably would not have done it if I could have a do-over.  I also wasn't hell bent on a natural delivery and just had a "go with the flow" attitude. 

• Options

I have to say, even though I've read books, am one of 5 kids, almost all my friends have kids, and my mom is a maternity child nurse (so I've grown up hearing allllllll about this stuff)  I found it helpful.  It was a good overview class.  And even though I'll be having an epidural, they took us through relaxation exercizes which I think will be helpful in early stages of labor.  They did give us a tour of the all of the areas of Prentice that we'd be staying in and the order we'd be staying in them.  I think it was especially helpful to my husband.  She also covered a lot about caring for yourself after the birth which was good, andi It was a great forum to ask questions.  While I did already know a lot that was presented, I'm glad we did it, just to have questions answered and have it all layed out at once rather than bit by bit like we have have been getting through reading.  I think it was money well spent.

Now the Newborn basics class and the Pediatrics 101 class I would skip if I had to do it over.

HTH! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't find the class all that helpful.  I did like getting a tour and it made me a little more relaxed when my doctor sent me from her office to get admitted almost three weeks before my due date.  Because I was induced, put on magnesium, and given an epidural before I was even induced, I was confined to the bed and could not use any of the breathing techniques that I used.  I thought the class was way too long, but was glad that I signed up for the one day class and got it over with at once.
  • Options
    I would skip the Great Expectations class.  I did like the Pediatrics 101 class though and that is how we found our pediatrician who we LOVE.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"