VBAC

GD and VBAC

Just got the news today that I failed my 3 hr.  I feel OK about it, but am nervous about how this might affect my VBAC.  I know it really shouldn't if I keep things under control, but it still throws a wrench in things b/c I obviously would prefer not to deal with this.   Anybody else have GD or have had a VBAC with a GD pregnancy?  I meet with the educator on Thursday and we'll go over diet and stuff at that point.  Any good resources that you can suggest?  I feel like I've seen a ton of stuff with artificial sweeteners in my quick GD search, but that's not how I want to manage this.
DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GD and VBAC

• sorry, but i would not be able to help. never had gd
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, sorry, what a bummer! Maybe check out mothering.com message boards? I bet there's some GD VBAC women over there, and everyone is pretty much planning low-intervention births...that's the only thing I can think of. hth

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks! 

P.S. Did you hear about Rachel's house burning down?  :(

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No real advice yet - I have my 3 hour on Friday, though.  Aye!  

I have worries about it too - mostly what that means for a final cut off date (especially if I end up measuring big) and how any OB's will view me.  I figure I'll try to compromise with u/s near the end to check for placental issues sooner and baby size (which - at least the baby size one, I am so not into doing otherwise).  I'm not exactly sure how if the placenta issues can be caught really well on u/s or not - we'll cross that bridge after Friday if necessary.

I've just started thinking about it, as I don't really want to be totally plan-less if the results come back that I've got it.   I hope you can take care of yours well with diet and still have your VBAC!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good luck on Friday!  I think the cutoff date is my biggest concern as well.  DS wasn't huge at 8 lb. 2 oz., but considering that second kiddos are typically bigger and now the GD, it gets me a little nervous.  Right now 42 weeks is my cutoff and I'm so glad I switched providers b/c my other one only felt comfortable up until 41w and I didn't even get the GD diagnosis yet.  Plus DS was born at 40w6d, so 41w feels like cutting it close. 
  • imagechicsub:
    Good luck on Friday!  I think the cutoff date is my biggest concern as well.  DS wasn't huge at 8 lb. 2 oz., but considering that second kiddos are typically bigger and now the GD, it gets me a little nervous.  Right now 42 weeks is my cutoff and I'm so glad I switched providers b/c my other one only felt comfortable up until 41w and I didn't even get the GD diagnosis yet.  Plus DS was born at 40w6d, so 41w feels like cutting it close. 

Yeah - DS was 8 lbs 13 oz, so I can't imagine what I'd gestate if I have GD.  I went through both the 1 & 3 hour last time, and just squeaked by not getting diagnosed.  I kind of wonder if there is a middle ground where it may have resulted in him being a bit bigger.  He was perfectly healthy, though!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, I had GD and I had a VBAC. It is possible!!

The biggest thing is that you really have to keep your blood sugar under control. If you keep your glucose levels down where the educator tells you, then your baby is not getting extra glucose and is not getting any bigger than he would without GD.

My first non-GD baby was 8lb1oz at 38wk

My GD baby was 8lb9oz at 41wk2day.

Considering he had 3 extra weeks to gestate, it's amazing that my GD baby was only 8oz bigger!!

Now if you can't keep your blood sugar under control - and sometimes, that just happens* - then you'll need meds. And if you're on meds it seems like most OBs will not let you go past 40wks. My GD was controlled by diet alone.

* what I mean by "it just happens" is that it's due to the placenta, not mom's diet.

Go read the high-risk pregnancy board, they had lots of great info when I had GD. You simply have to balance your carbs with protein. And you have to eat 6 times a day. On a schedule. I survived by snacking on greek yogurt with fruit and South Beach protein bars. But it did help me change my diet and now I'm 3 sizes smaller than I was pre-pg thanks to it, so there's an upside!

- Jena
  • That's very encouraging Jen!  Day 1 of monitoring is going good so far.  I think the trickiest part is going to be eating on more of a schedule since that is where I really let things slide chasing DS around all day.  I'm hoping it will all work out, I can keep things under control and the habits will continue with me after pregnancy as well. 
  • imagechicsub:

Thanks! 

P.S. Did you hear about Rachel's house burning down?  :(

Ugh, I know! So sad!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I've had GD with both- had a sched c/s with DS1 due to his size! He was 9lb 11oz and 8 days early!

My Dr ruled out a VBAC this time for me too, as this one is also measuring quite large! He told me the problem is not so much the 9+ lbs, but GD babies can have massive shoulders- like a 13 pounder! 

DS had a HUUUUGE head- 98%- I'm only like 5'1" and 125lb (I know they *say* it doesn't matter...) I did go into labor before my sched section and was dilated to 4+cm- DS hadn't moved down one bit and they said there was no way in hell he would've fit! 

And my blood sugar has been in control both times- I do use insulin at night, but it's the very smallest dose and hasn't been increased at all my whole preg! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Kellina, is your DH's side big?  That is a big boy!

I always understood that if things are controlled that the baby shouldn't have the growth issue?

P.S. My DS has the same jacket and hat, it's a popular one this year!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"