Parenting

Feeling nervous about DS's next drs appt (15 mo)

I've been writing down the differences between 12 mo and 15 months.

At 12 mo he could say dada, pizzzz (please) and bzzz (when pointing to a bee). She said he should have 3 words @ 12 mo but animal sounds counted. He could also point to his toes when asked.

At 15 months, he no longer says dada, but when prompted, says "da" and looks towards the door as if looking for DH. He cant point to his toes anymore, but can point to his ears and my nose, and on a good day, sometimes his belly button. He doesnt say please or buzz anymore but "brr" is a dog barking when you point to one, and he can sign the word "more , and tries to sign "help" but usually ends up clapping. He can point out about 5-6 pictures in a book and stack 2 blocks. When you ask him what santa says, he says "Ho". 

He is a wonderful sleeper, eater, walker, and smiles constantly. But I am so concerned about the language, especially because it seems like he is forgetting things. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Feeling nervous about DS's next drs appt (15 mo)

• Try not to feel nervous and stress too much before the appointment. See what the doctor thinks and go from there. Good luck!

Nadia Irene 8/13/07 Reid Owen 8/18/09
  • How is his eye contact?
  • Loading the player...
  • I wonder how common it is for kids to do what you are describing. My DS seemed to go backwards with speech from 12 months also. By 18 months I was really concerned. Maybe they are just putting the speech on hold while they learn other things? 

DS's speech took off at about 25 months and now at 28 months he talks nonstop. 

I hope everything turns out okay. Just curious though, has he had any ear infection issues? I know ear infections can cause hearing issues which affects speech.

GL at the appointment!

• imagewildfloweragain:
    How is his eye contact?

Good, I think. No real concerns there.

• Try not to worry too much.  I can remember my girls forgetting skills when they were working on new ones.  And I bet he's about to hit that language explosion which will make you wonder when he's ever going to be quiet again.  :)
  • This is very typical and not a real red flag unless combined with other issues. Kids learn a skill then kind of file it away to learn a new one, both of my kids did it.

• imageemilykristene2006:

I wonder how common it is for kids to do what you are describing. My DS seemed to go backwards with speech from 12 months also. By 18 months I was really concerned. Maybe they are just putting the speech on hold while they learn other things? 

DS's speech took off at about 25 months and now at 28 months he talks nonstop. 

I hope everything turns out okay. Just curious though, has he had any ear infection issues? I know ear infections can cause hearing issues which affects speech.

GL at the appointment!

1 infection that I know of, about 2 mo ago

• I'm assuming he's about the same age as my twins - they'll be 15 mo on Sunday...I'd say he's at least even with them, if not ahead.  

They learned clap, wave, high 5, touch nose, and touch toes all at or prior to 12 mos, and have seemed to forget it all since (minus the wave - but only spontaneous - not when prompted).  

I think what you describe is totally common - and try not to worry.  I think part of it is them discovering their independence, and not doing what you prompt them to do. They are much more interested in each other and  copying their older siblings. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"