Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Can antibiotics delay period?

Hello Everyone!

I'm hoping someone might have been in a similar situation or heard if this was possible. I started my last period on 10/24, and started antibiotics on 10/28 when I had an emergency root canal. The 2nd-12th of November I worked long hours on a project out of town, slept less than normal and consumed more alcohol than normal. 

With all that in mind, I didn't really think much of it last week when my period was due, but did not arrive. It still hasn't arrived (11/30) and I'm wondering if that three weeks of terror could have delayed my ovulation? I've taken a pregnancy test with negative results. I don't feel the least bit like my period is on its way either. 

My husband and I are TTC, so if it did get delayed I'd be delighted. I thought I missed a month of trying by being out of town when my ovulation should have occured.

Any thoughts, ideas and advice is welcome. Thanks! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!

Re: Can antibiotics delay period?

• Options

It's totally possible! Unless you're charting to see ovulation, you won't know for sure. But keep taking a pregnancy test every week until you reach 60 days without a period and then call your doctor.

Next cycle, use Fertilityfriend to chart. See below!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    All the stress and traveling with work could defiitely delay ovulation, which will make your cycle longer.  I, however, had the opposite reaction to antibiotics- I had a normal length cycle when I was on them from CD 1-10 for strep, when I normally have anywhere from 37-50 day cycles.  GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMargauxGreen:

Hello Everyone!

I'm hoping someone might have been in a similar situation or heard if this was possible. I started my last period on 10/24, and started antibiotics on 10/28 when I had an emergency root canal. The 2nd-12th of November I worked long hours on a project out of town, slept less than normal and consumed more alcohol than normal. 

With all that in mind, I didn't really think much of it last week when my period was due, but did not arrive. It still hasn't arrived (11/30) and I'm wondering if that three weeks of terror could have delayed my ovulation? I've taken a pregnancy test with negative results. I don't feel the least bit like my period is on its way either. 

My husband and I are TTC, so if it did get delayed I'd be delighted. I thought I missed a month of trying by being out of town when my ovulation should have occured.

Any thoughts, ideas and advice is welcome. Thanks! 

I went through this last month. I had pharngytis, went on Amox, then ended up with a YI from the Amox.  My cycles are typically 28-30 days and I had a 44 day cycle.  From what I read, antibiotics (amoxicillin anyway) do not interefere with O.  However, if you're stressed out or if you have an infection those things can delay it.  I did wind up getting a BT done just to confirm the - hpts, so maybe you can discuss that with your doctor.

Good Luck and feel free to PM if you want :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for all the great info/resources/thoughts ladies!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"