Breastfeeding
Options

How do you build a stash of breast milk?

I can barely keep up with my LO, so how do I build up a supply for the freezer?  I just tried pumping on one side while she fed on the other, but it seems like my pump isn't as efficient when I only use it on one side. 

I work from home, but I travel some.  I return to work in January and I have to be gone from early morning until late at night one day during the first week.  I want to make sure I have enough milk stashed.  I know I can use formula if we have to, but I want to try storing breast milk first.  I would love to hear any advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you build a stash of breast milk?

• Options

While I was on maternity leave I would pump after her mid morning feeding and freeze that.  At first I would only pump less than an ounce, but after a week or so I could get 2-4 ounces. 

In order to make your body to make more milk, you need to signal it to, by pumping. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Pump at the same time everyday. Best to pump in the morning because that is when your supply is the highest.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm no expert, as I just started this, but my LC told me to pump after 10 a.m. and again late at night for 15 minutes each. I don't get much yet, but as time goes on, I expect to get more.

She suggested I pour what I get into ice cube trays and freeze, then once I get 4 cubes, transfer them into bags and date the bags with a sticker (so the ink doesn't leak through the bag) and freeze. Thaw as needed. 

I don't know if this will work, but it is the plan I will start out with. 

• Options

I would pump after DD's 3am feeding and 6am feeding.  That way LO got to nurse and then I would pump, which would signal my body to continue making more milk.  

Also, breastmilk has a natural ebb and flow.  It tends to be most abumdant in the morning and lessens throughout the day.  If you could pump more in the morning, that might help.  GL!  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"