Houston Babies
Options

Dairy and Soy Free food recs?

My DS has been having a lot of GI issues, including bloody stools.  The theory we are currently working off of is that he perhaps has a milk allergy, even though the poop test was negative.  I had already been mostly off of milk for a month, but the GI doc said that I have to stop soy, too.  It's been a little over two weeks now since I cut out ALL dairy and soy.  No bloody poops in 8 days!  

So, since it seems this new diet restriction is going to stick....I need some recommendations.  Has anyone else had to cut out dairy and soy, and have some good food recommendations?  I mean - even most breads are off the list. I've found a brand of sourdough bread that I've been using for sandwiches.  I'm really missing sweet treats, though.  Haven't found any cookies or anything that I can eat.

I'm going to go try Whole Foods and see what they have - any other recs? 

Re: Dairy and Soy Free food recs?

• Options
    Hi I am usually just a lurked but I have been through this as well. It is hard but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. Most babies can tolerate soy lectin and soy oil even when not able to have soy (that really helped me). Whole foods has a bunch of stuff (earth balance butter in the red tub is great but I think you can find it at kroger). Coconut milk ice cream is yummy but I didn't like the rice milk stuff. I drink almond milk with everything. I posted a few websites below that saved me. The first one is my favorite because you can search by allergy and has a list of products. It is also great for recipes... https://intolerantoffspring.com/tips-and-tidbits/favorite-products-list.html https://mspikids.info/1894.html https://www.mspimama.blogspot.com/ I have a few others but sadly I can't find them right now. Google MSPI and it will pull up blogs with recipes. Also, I get the French bread from HEB (has soy oil) and go to central market for tortillas and bread (I think they have bread without spy and dairy). Hope that helps. Feel free to email me with any questions... Ellie11882 at aol dot com. (sorry for mistakes... Typed with one hand).
  • Options
    There is a coconut ice cream that is dairy and soy free.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecharlotteL:
    There is a coconut ice cream that is dairy and soy free.

Its awesome! I also went dairy and soy free and it was rough at first but then I just knew what I could eat. I ate ALOT of pringles haha! 

A good website I found is godairyfree.org. It has alot of good recipes also. 

And like PP said its Soy Protein that is the cause so I believe you can still have some things with 'Soy' in it but you have to look at the ingredients. 

• Options

imageellie11882:
    Hi I am usually just a lurked but I have been through this as well. It is hard but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. Most babies can tolerate soy lectin and soy oil even when not able to have soy (that really helped me). Whole foods has a bunch of stuff (earth balance butter in the red tub is great but I think you can find it at kroger). Coconut milk ice cream is yummy but I didn't like the rice milk stuff. I drink almond milk with everything. I posted a few websites below that saved me. The first one is my favorite because you can search by allergy and has a list of products. It is also great for recipes... https://intolerantoffspring.com/tips-and-tidbits/favorite-products-list.html https://mspikids.info/1894.html https://www.mspimama.blogspot.com/ I have a few others but sadly I can't find them right now. Google MSPI and it will pull up blogs with recipes. Also, I get the French bread from HEB (has soy oil) and go to central market for tortillas and bread (I think they have bread without spy and dairy). Hope that helps. Feel free to email me with any questions... Ellie11882 at aol dot com. (sorry for mistakes... Typed with one hand).

Their burger buns (like in the bakery department) and whole wheat tortillas are DF and SF. I woudl make sandwiches with the burger buns (they werent really thick) and had fajitas and tacos all.the.time! 

• Options

Thanks....I'll have to check out HEB.  I wasn't sureabout the soy lecthin....called dr. but haven't heard back yet.  Soybean oil is ok??  I'm going to have to try the dr. again.

I haven't seen that butter at my local Kroger...I've read the label of every butter product at my local Kroger and Walmart!!  haha  I will look for it at Whole Foods.  

Found the coconut ice cream at Kroger...but it was $7 for one pint...I decided I didn't need ice cream that badly.  Maybe it will be a special treat from time to time. 

• Options
    imagecessa:

Thanks....I'll have to check out HEB.  I wasn't sureabout the soy lecthin....called dr. but haven't heard back yet.  Soybean oil is ok??  I'm going to have to try the dr. again.

I haven't seen that butter at my local Kroger...I've read the label of every butter product at my local Kroger and Walmart!!  haha  I will look for it at Whole Foods.  

Found the coconut ice cream at Kroger...but it was $7 for one pint...I decided I didn't need ice cream that badly.  Maybe it will be a special treat from time to time. 

I'm on a mission to find it also. I want to make some cookies and I figured this would be the best way but I can't find it. I guess I need a trip to Whole Foods. 

• Options

If you're nearby, you might swing by the Urban Harvest Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings on Eastside between Richmond and Alabama.  In the last few months they've had a new prepared food vendor there who sells vegan and gluten free baked goods.  I was only looking from a dairy-free perspective so I don't know if she uses soy in her items.

Good luck.  My dad developed a severe dairy intolerance in his 50s and I remember the challenges he went through modifying his diet.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options
    Hi there!  I am currently also dair/soy/egg free for my little guy.  He had blood in his stools starting around 7 wks.  I've found some good things at the MOM's market near me.. and surprisingly my local Food Lion carries some "Enjoy Life" brand of cookies.  The snickerdoodles are my favorite.  I try not to buy them though becuase the cookies are tiny and the box isn't cheap!  I just made a dairy/soy/egg/nut free pumpkin bread that I found a recipe for online.  I would just search and try out different things.  Bread was/is definitely hard for me, I'm a carb hog!!! But I've found some of the bakery French and/or Italian breads don't have dairy or soy.  For a little while my doctor had me cut out wheat too!  That was a nightmare!  I've become an expert at label reading :) and am shocked at what is actually in all the stuff I used to buy and eat!  Anyway, you could also check out this cookbook.  It?s a compilation of dairy and soy-free recipes from other families who have children with allergies https://bit.ly/d9QVFL.  I made the white bread and it was good!  GL!
    Rachel Mom to 3 boys Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid Decemberboy04 -former reflux baby Augustboy10 - MFPI baby
  • Options

This store is really good (don't be discouraged by the location)

https://www.sunshineckls.com/

If it turns out that your baby is allergic to dairy and soy, you can join the baby-led weaning group in Yahoo to get acces to their recipe book that's full of easy recipes for children. Once you're ready to introduce solids their recipe book will be a lot of help because the book tells you whether the recipe is suitable for children with different allergies. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageerica_kaspar:
    imagecessa:

I'm on a mission to find it also. I want to make some cookies and I figured this would be the best way but I can't find it. I guess I need a trip to Whole Foods. 

I found the butter at Whole Foods!  My husband was so excited because he really wanted mashed potatoes with butter for Thanksgiving!  =) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"