VBAC
Options

Quick introductions?

2»

Re: Quick introductions?

• Options

Hi everyone!  So happy this board is here.  I had a c/s with my son (who is 16 months old now) due to failure to progress.  Basically I was induced at 41w3d for being overdue, my epidural failed, and being the typical uninformed first-time mother, I had no way of coping with the extreme pain of the Pitocin/Cytotec contractions.  (I had not prepared for giving birth at all, you see.)  I started pushing through each contraction because it was the only relief I got.  As a result, my cervix got swollen and my labor stalled at 7-8 cm.  When the doc offered me a c/s, I jumped at the chance.  It sounds odd to say that now.

I was put under general anesthesia because my epidural didn't work (and I have no idea why they didn't offer me a spinal), and that to me was the most devastating part of the whole experience: not being awake for the birth of our son.  It took my husband and I quite awhile to emotionally recover (and I don't think we really have yet).  Anyway, after all that I got involved with ICAN and decided that I wanted to try to VBAC with our next baby.  We got pregnant WAY sooner than we intended to, but here we are. :)

Now I am 38.5 weeks pregnant and will be delivering at a birth center that specializes in water birth, with a midwife and a doula.  I am super excited but as the time draws nearer I have to admit that I do have some anxiety.  But we've taken Bradley classes, done some of the hypnobabies home study, and have given 100% to having a more positive experience this time around.  I know that if I end up with another c/s, it won't be an unnecessarean.

I also wanted to give a special shout out to margeincharge2 - it's pretty rare that I meet another mom who was under general for a c/s. 

• Options

Hi! I'm so glad this board is here. I've wanted a VBAC for this pregnancy but I haven't let myself think too much about it for a while. Its like I'm so afraid for it not to work out that I refuse to make any plans for it. Now that I'm in my third tri I know I need to think more about it.

I have pre-existing high blood pressure and was told with DS #1 that my OBs would not let me go past my due date for safety reasons. I planned a med-free birth with the best of intentions (classes, books, birth plan, DH involvement, etc.). I remained positive going in for my induction when he didn't come on my due date. I had no progress going in and was put on low dose pitocin. Yada yada yada, two days later I had not progressed (baby was not coming down at all) and they felt it was my best interest to have a c/s. I was crushed and felt the pain of that for a long time afterward.

I became unexpectedly pregnant just before my LO turned one. My OBs are supportive of my plan to VBAC but with the same rule as before, I can't go too far past my due date (contingency c/s scheduled 2 days after) and they will not induce due to increased risk of rupture. I felt such a lack of control last time that I don't want to make any plans this time. I hope this board will help me get over some of my fear of VBAC failure.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi ladies!

I'm mychelba. DS is 4 1/2 mos and was an emergency c/s after 27 hours of labor. I was induced at 41w 1d and never made it past 4cm.  Cord was around his neck twice so he never dropped/engaged and started have decels once they started pitocin. He definitely had the markers of an overdue baby and I truly believe the c/s was the best route for me and him.

Though I had an easy recovery and actually was never bothered by the chain of events, I'm really interested in being well-educated about VBACs. Though we're not TTC just yet, hopefully there will be Lo #2 and more and I'm not sure I want multiple c/sections. Glad this board was created!

• Options

Hey all~

I'm Uiowachick, and I would like to have a VBAC with #2.  

DS was born at 36w6d via c/s.   I had planned on a natural, hypno-birth. I was admitted to the hospital the Tuesday before DS was born for contraction 3-4 min apart at my weekly visit.  A u/s was done in hospital and DS measured at 13lbs+.  I ended up going home late that night and my water broke at home at 1am Friday, and it ended up having meconium.  I asked for it to be flushed out but my OB swore it wasn't possible.  I was given pitocin, and contunued to labor drug- free until OB came in to tell me she was giving me until 12pm to be ready to push or she was doing a c/s.  She was nervous my baby was too big to be delivered as well.  

She came back to check on me at 12:15pm, I still had not gotten any form of pain relief.  I was immediately taken to the operating room and DS was born at 12:49.   My epi was done incorrectly, my incision is about 7-8 inches long and DS's head was cut while being taken out of me.  

He wasn't 13+lbs, he was 8lb 3oz.  

I am currently TTC#2 and looking for a midwife that will take VBACs.  I would love for my voice to be heard this time, and to have a VB:) 

AP, BWing, BFing, CDing, VBAC, Crunchy Mama to my handsome little 2 year old and squishy newbie! Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Babywearing Leader to the DuPage Slingers www.DuPageSlingers.Blogspot.com
  • Options

Hiya! I'm Lindsey!

I'm the proud mama of two. My son will be 4 in 6 weeks. He was born surgically after failure to descend. He was posterior and my midwife sucked big time. I suffered greatly from that surgery. The physical pain subsided after a couple months, but the emotional trauma I only recently resolved through hypnotherapy.

I made a lot of changes in my life after his birth, including becoming a hypnotherapist myself!!

I recently gave birth to my second child, a girl, at home, in water, using hypnobirthing techniques. It was the most amazing experience of my life! 

I'm so sad that this board is needed, but thrilled that we now have each other to share experience and provide support! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I am Kate and my DD was born via c/s at 41w1d due to fetal tacchycardia at my ob overdue appt. Her hr was 190 for the 20 minute nonstress test and she was moving around a ton at that point. I was sent to l&d where her hr wad still 180-190 and had normally been in the 140s. My ob told me she was in distress and that she didn't think she would tolerate induction. I entered the hospital at 11am and she was out at 12:08! I never had any contractions and never experienced labor. I and my dr's believe if I go into labor this time that I have a good chance of having a successful VBAC. That being said, they won't let me go overdue nor will they induce! So here's hoping to the fact that I will be chasing around an active 2 year old when the time comes to go into labor on my own! Good luck everyone!
  • Options

Just wanted to say, reading everyone's stories has me in tears. I just want to hug every one of you!

I'm Shoshanah, I'm 26. DS was born via C/S after PROM @ 37-3 and a failed induction. I never got past 5-6cm (was there for 12 hours). Or so they tell me...I look at the video of DS's first bath and see that he had a lot of molding to his head. My water had been broken for 27-1/2 hours.

I am now 12 weeks and 1 day pg w/ #2 and we are planning a HBAC with two wonderful MWs and probably a doula (still negotiating price).  I am so very, very excited about this pregnancy and birth. Things are already completely different from our experience with DS. Our pregnancy and birth were both very medical - which was ok with me at the time b/c I am a nurse, and it is what I know. We had 16 US last time! This time, we are getting one short US to see where the placenta is and check gender (per DH request) sometime well after 20 weeks. We are focused on nutrition and exercise, and we are doing hypnobabies.

I think a lot of people consider me crazy for attempting a HBAC. It's not that I had an unsupportive doctor, either. I left the practice I was with for DS after he was born and transferred to a doctor who is known for vaginally delivering almost everything - breech, multiples breech, triplets, you name it. His CS rate is something like 6%. I trust him, and I love him. However, he still has a clock. If my water were to break, he would still put me on the clock and want me to deliver by a certain point. That changed my mind. the clock got me last time, and I won't let the clock win again. 

Also, becoming a natural birth instructor and (awaiting my cert) lactation counselor has really changed me as a person. I can't wait to get out of the ER and into people's homes!

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options
    Hi there! My name is Jessica. I have two boys landon almost 3 and grady almost 1! i am due with our third baby in may. My first was a csection d/t breech and my second was a successful induced VBAC...which was awesome!! hoping for the same experience again! so happy they created this board!
  • Options

I am Alison Davis on the email list, but I'm more of a lurker b/c we're not ready to TTC again yet.

I have enjoyed reading the successful birth stories so far, though, and really glad we will have this board now! I rarely get online from home and couldn't check the Gmail board from work.

Nice to meet you ladies (again)!

Um, yeah. The Bump be too crazy for pics of my kid.
  • Options

Hello!  I'm so glad to finally see this board here!

I'm Skobysbride.  I had a c-sec with my first after being induced at 40w2d.  I progressed nicely, but he was trying to come out kind of lopsided so I had to have the surgery.  I just had my second son in August at 39w and had a SUCCESSFUL VBAC!  I had started that pregnancy out with an OBGYN that was (supposedly) pro-VBAC and she said she would let me try, but at the end of each appointment she would say something along the lines of " Oh, you may change your mind at the end and opt for the c-section".  Um, no lady, I want a VBAC which is why I scoured the internet looking for you!  Her saying that gave me the impression that sure, she'd let me try to labor, but probably would try to push the c-sec the whole time or not let my body labor as long as it needed to.  Plus, I had a really hard time trusting doctors after my last birth because I felt they all wanted the quick way out (a c-sec).  So, I left her practice and found a midwife and I am so glad that I did.  So if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Hi!  I have a 2 yr old DD and I'm 36 weeks with baby #2 (a boy!).  My water broke at home on its own with DD, but the on-call OB was a disaster of unwanted interventions that ultimately led to my OB doing a c/s.  

I'm planning a waterbirth VBAC with a wondeful group of hospital midwives.  So far everything is looking wonderful this time around.  We've hired a monitrice doula to help DH and I so we can labor at home as long as possible.  I'm also part of the Google group (though I lurk more than I post LOL).  I'm active with my local ICAN group, and I've read everything about VBAC that I can get my hands/eyes on! 

I'm really excited about this board, and I'm hoping for a surge of VBAC birth stories in the future!!! 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options
    Hello I am Mrs. Goodweather. 30 yr old mom to 3. It looks like I have the oldest kids. My DSD is 11, DD 8, DD, 6. This will be my first attempt at a VBA2C. My 8 year old was born via ER C-section because she stop moving and they could not find a HB. My 6 year old was a schedule c-section just because my OB talked me into it and I did not think twice about VBAC and actually knew nothing about VBACs. So here I am with a new OB and #3 trying for a VBA2C. I am scared sh&*less and not sure if I am up for the challange but the thought of another c-section scares me more. After each c-section I developed infections. All started as UTIs but the last one went to my kidney and the dr feared it was going to spread into my bloodstream. Needless to say, my hubby and I both are nervous about this one.
    31, married mom of 3 Step mom to 1

baby>
  • Options

Hi. I have one DD, Madeline, who will be 2 in a few weeks. DH and I have just recently moved which has unfortunately meant we pushed back TTC until spring. Makes more sense but I am really disappointed! 

DD was footling breech (was basically standing on my cervix with her head in my ribs for lack of a better explanation) and after an unsuccessful external version was delivered via c-section at 39 weeks 2 days. Although the doctors said I was in the very early stages of labor, I never felt a contraction. It was very strange to go from being pregnant, planning a med-free midwife birth to having a baby with very little warning and no real birth experience. Of course, DD was the best thing and I am head over heels in love with her, however, I would really like the opportunity to have a VBAC if possible.

I have talked to my doctor and he thinks I would be a great candidate for a VBAC so we will see!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
  • Options
    Hello!  I'm runnergirl79, and am attempting a VBAC after having had two previous (scheduled) C-sections.  I have two kiddos, a daughter, who is 3, and a son, almost 17 months.  I am expecting another boy at the beginning of March.
    Natalie 7.27.07/Lukas 5.29.09/Noah 3.4.11/Brooke 7.31.12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

So cool this board is here!

Just had DD 6 weeks ago via c-section because of a breech presentation and failure to go into labor on my own at 10 days post due date. Worst experience of my life..still healing from a big hematoma. Just a week ago I could barely think about having another child but DH and I always said 3 kids and it doesn't feel like we are done.  If we do it again I really want to try a VBAC. DS was born 2 1/2 years ago vaginally and I'm hoping my OB gives me good news about my chances for a 3rd.

• Options
    Hello, I'm Tabitha.  Hannah turned 2 in August. I'm glad they created this new board.  I had a c-section after 28 hours of labor and only making it to 7cm.  I'm hoping to have a VBAC with my next but we'll see.  In 2001 I had surgery for Crohn's so not only do I have a c-section scare (left to right), I'm also cut from top to bottom (belly button to suzy). I'm not sure if it's a problem or not and that's why I didn't progress, but I talked to my doctor and he said he would let me try VBAC if that's what I want.  I was set on having a natural birth (w/EPI) and when they told me I was having a c-secton I cried, then cried for weeks after (not sure why).  I'm over it now, but hope for the next one.  Nice to talk with you ladies.
  • Options

Hi, I have a 23 month old DS and am 10 weeks pregnant with my second. DS was a "surprise breech" that was discovered upon exam at my birth center. The midwife said "oh you're already 8cm... but that's not a head...". Off I went to the hospital, and had a c-section at 10cm dilated (grrr!). This time around I am planning a home birth, due to state restrictions on birth centers (VBAC is illegal there). I am lucky enough to use the same midwife group as last time!

I'm so glad this board is here!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"