Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

White / Clay Colored Stool???

I have put in a call to our Pedi's office and am waiting to hear back but I thought I would check on here too in the meantime. Cam has had two poopy diapers today and both have been large and "clay" colored. He is acting fine otherwise but I wanted to hear from my pedi's office just in case this is something we need to follow up more on. I googled "clay colored stool in infants" and was met with a ton of information on horrible liver problems so, needless to say, this is not something I am taking lightly.

Has anyone experienced this with their LO? If so, would you mind sharing your experience (good or bad). TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: White / Clay Colored Stool???

• Options

We're dealing with this right now actually :(  I also googled and it scared the crap out of me!!  I took DS to the Dr. on Wednesday and she said it's likely related to a stomach bug that he had (DH and I both had a 24 hour bug, but DS got a flu shot so didn't get it as bad).  The Dr. didn't seem concerned about the color but told me to come back in a week if it was still happening.

Let me know what your Dr. says about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Thanks for sharing! As soon as I hear anything I will update. My mom is a RN and used to work in a pediatrician's office. She said it was usually nothing to worry about but agreed that I should let the pedi's office know what was going on since Cam already has a history of FTT / weight gain issues. I hope your issue clears up soon too!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh I am there with you!  We had this about 2 weeks ago and it lasted for a a few days.  LO had a stomach bug at the same time and had thrown up at night a few times but was acting normal during the day.  Like you, I googled "pale stool" and was met with terrifying information.  I called the Dr and the first thing they asked me was "is there any color at all?"  I commented that it was like coffee with TONS of cream in it, VERY pale tan...  she said not to worry at all, that it was part of the bug.  According to them, pure white is cause for concern (and panic) but if there is even a hint of color things are okay.  It resolved itself in a few days.  Good luck.  
  • Options
    E's pedi told me once that they don't care about the color of stoll unless it is purple, indicating that there is blood in the stool. They basically said that the color can change based on what they eat and not to worry.
  • Options
    Thanks! I just got a call from the on-call nurse and, while they don't think that it is a cause for immediate concern, they want to see Cam on Monday just to be sure. I feel silly freaking out about poop but he has already had a few issues w/ his liver enzymes and has FTT / growth. DH is going to be grossed out when he discovered a poopy diaper in our fridge (in 3 ziploc bags) b/c they wanted me to bring one in. Ick!
  • Options

imageDaisy582:
    Thanks! I just got a call from the on-call nurse and, while they don't think that it is a cause for immediate concern, they want to see Cam on Monday just to be sure. I feel silly freaking out about poop but he has already had a few issues w/ his liver enzymes and has FTT / growth. DH is going to be grossed out when he discovered a poopy diaper in our fridge (in 3 ziploc bags) b/c they wanted me to bring one in. Ick!

Sorry your LO has had so many problems :(  I hope the appointment goes well!!

• Options
    DD's poop has always been really pale, ever since the switch from formula to milk.  It's usually yellowish--like butter that's been sitting out a while.  Our pedi has always said it isn't anything to worry about.
  • Options
    DD's poop was that color after she started eating yogurt and ate a lot of it.  After she didn't really like it anymore we didn't have that issue.
  • Options

We dealt with the same thing and it ended up being her diet. She had just started milk and always ate bananas, and other light colored things. So think about what your LO is eating. I was terrified as well but things are normal now. It just took some getting used to and me adding in more color ;) I hope everything turns out to be alright!

• Options
    Best wishes for Monday, please update if you can and let us (especially those of us with LO's with light colored poo-poo) what you find out!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"