VBAC

Failure to progress/descend moms

I'll start by saying, I really hated titling it that way, but it's to the point.  Labels generally don't bother me, but it just felt icky to type that.

Anyway! I had ZERO progress of any type up until I went into labor at 41w0d - I was checked the day before when I went to the hospital on a false alarm (or early, early labor) - 0 dilation, 0 effacement, baby very high, etc. etc.  I labored in the hospital for less than 12 hours when my doctor decided I needed a CS for FTP and non-reassuring fetal heart tones (she had two dips and the nurse never even made me try anything other than changing sides and getting oxygen).  Just so happens that my C/S was at 7:43 AM and his practice opened in the same hospital complex at 8:30 AM.  I was at either 4 or 6 cm's and she was still -2 station (IIRC) at last check which was about 7am.  I can't remember if it was 4 or 6 even though I just talked about this with my new doctor at my last appointment.  When I got to the hospital at 10ish pm I was barely 1cm dilated (water broke and painful contractions started 1-2 hours prior). 

That's the backstory.  My question is, this time I feel "different" down there.  I had a cervical check last week and as I expected I was high and closed, but this week I feel more pressure down there and I'm very sore in the crotch area.  Baby movement feels lower although by picture comparison, I can't tell if I dropped.  If I dropped with my daughter, I never noticed.  I also never noticed any of this soreness in my crotch.  I do realize that it could just be a regular pregnancy pains, but I guess I just want to know if these are symptoms that maybe this baby is going to actually get into a low station.  I also realize it's a crapshoot, and maybe I'm just looking for similar experiences.  

I'll also add that I'm in NO way asking if I'll go into labor anytime soon! I had my daughter at 41w0d and I'm fine with going there or even past it (doc is ok with it as long as everything checks out).  In fact, my daughter's birthday party is the first week in December and I REALLY want to make it past that before baby comes!!

Re: Failure to progress/descend moms

• I don't think there is anyway to tell if a baby is going to descend until they are coming out your vagina.  I had a c/s for failure to descend--my daughter was at either 0 station or +1, depending on whose account you listen to, and my OB decided she was stuck and recommended a section.  So I definitely understand your fears!  But I'm optimistic for both of us that things will go differently this time.  Smile

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a c/s for FTP past 4cm after 12 hours of pit, and my baby A was at a -2 station the whole time. (I was induced at 40 weeks and not favorable for induction) So, other than my second baby our reasons sound sort of similar. My C/S was at 9:10 pm, and I am sure that my OB was home just in time to watch Law and Order. 

We are hiring a doula who provides montrice services so I can labor at home as long as possible before going into the hospital. She cannot check cervical dilation manually, but there are other ways to check.

Good luck.Every birth is so different. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • iris - i'm fairly sure i agree with you.  the closer i get, the more i think i'm grasping at straws to get some reassurance that i have a better outcome this time! 
  • imageJb&Jb:
    iris - i'm fairly sure i agree with you.  the closer i get, the more i think i'm grasping at straws to get some reassurance that i have a better outcome this time! 

Completely understandable!  I'll be doing the same thing come April/May. And it is good to remind yourself that this is a different pregnancy and it's not going to be a repeat of last time.  :) 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have no advice, but I just wanted to say good luck. I know I will be the same way when I get to the end of my phantom pregnancy. Lol. I had FTP and that scares me more than anything.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    M/C Dec 2010 - 5w5d Missing my sweet angel baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"