Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

reward charts....

How do you utilize your reward charts for your 2.5+ toddler?  What types of choices/behaviors to you reward for?  How many stickers does it take to get a reward and what do you reward with?

I taught second and fourth grade for 11 years.  You'd think I'd know what I was doing....

Thanks so much for your input on this.... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: reward charts....

• Options
    No idea, but look how stunning Emerson is in your siggy! She is so grown up! And the twins are so sweet...
  • Options
    We started using one with the kids when DD was about 2.5.  We used it for potty training and helping pick up their toys and sippy cups.  We did seven stars for the rewards, unfortunately the kids have stopped bothering to try to help even with the chart and idea of a reward.  So I'm trying to figure out a way to try to get them back into trying for their rewards. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a "chore" chart which is a sticker/reward chart. It's set to daily chores but there's spaces to write in anything new for a specific day. Not everything has to be done on a daily basis either. If DS skips or neglects one, he just misses that sticker for the day.

At the end of the week, we give him .05 for every sticker. He puts his reward money into his piggy banks and can save it for a small toy or even use it every once in a rare while for the ice cream man.

His list is currently:

Make Bed (2x -- once in the morning/after naptime), this is just position pillow at top, straighten light top blanket. No tucking needed.
    Brush Teeth (3x a day -- we added this while he was getting used to it.)
    Feed the fish (this is just adding a couple flakes)
    Put away dishes/cups from meal times (3x a day -- this is just taking them to the sink)
    Put away books/toys (2x -- for naptime and before bedtime)
    Put away dirty laundry (2x -- Pjs in the morning and clothes at night-time, just going into the hamper)

Extras but not daily: Help mom/dad with laundry (he likes to push the wet clothes into the dryer), Extra help (which goes for anything we deem worth a reward), & Help mom/dad with dinner (once again at our discretion).

We list the multiple step items multiple times so if he skips one, he can receive a reward for the one he did. He gets to place the sticker on and help us count in 10's (now 20's) to total them up at the end of the week for his money.

I hope this is something along the lines of what you're looking for. We made it in a program like excel and just listed the chores on the left hand side going down, and the days of the week on the top going across. Simple graph.
  • Options

We do a potty chart with DS. He loves Disney's Cars Movie, so we made him a chart with 7 boxes in each row and got him Cars stickers. Every time he goes potty he gets to put either a pee or poo sticker on his chart (we have different sized ones for each). Once he reaches a full row (7 boxes), he gets to pick out a small toy from Toys R Us.

It was slow to start, but once he got a hang of it - he started using the potty just to get his stickers for the toy! It worked great! Until we realized he was only going #1 and not #2, lol. So, now we are telling him he needs at least 1 poo sticker before he can get a toy?. and well, now we are back to square one. :)

• Options
    We got one of those magnetic charts from Target.  She has 5 responsibilities.  No hitting (kind hands), Kind words, Using her words (no tantrums), Picking up her toys, Getting ready for bed.  We go over each item before bedtime and if she succeeds she gets a circle magnet for each achievement.  After she gets 10 items she gets a small prize.  If she gets 3 perfect days in a row, she gets a big present.  It totally works.  We use it along with time outs and her behavior has changed remarkably. 
  • Options
    sfl :o) we're going to try this for bahavior
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"