Pregnant after 35
Options

Quad screen test

Is anyone going to or has already had the Quad screen test. I feel like all I hear at the peri doctor is "now that you are 35 we need to..." I did finally have the Quad test and everthing came back negative. Does anyone else feel like the doctors make too big of a deal about the big 35 when you are pregnant. I know 20 year olds that don't take as good of care of themselves as I do. I guess I am just feeling a little complainy (made up word) tonight. :)

Re: Quad screen test

• Options
    Doctors are concerned because the facts indicate they should be more concerned.  Count your blessings that everything looks good for your baby :)
  • Options
    I haven't had one yet, but I did have one with DD even though I wasn't 35 then. My dr. didn't force me to do it. I guess I could have refused it, but I actually wanted it just for peace of mind. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBostonGayGal:
    Doctors are concerned because the facts indicate they should be more concerned.  Count your blessings that everything looks good for your baby :)

I agree with this. They run these tests on just about everyone anyway (or at least recommend them) but statistically 35 is "high risk" for a reason and not just for babies but for things that occur in moms (greater risk of GD, pre-eclampsia, pre-term delivery, etc.) I'm more than happy to be monitored more carefully. Although I worry, I would have worried the same at 25 - it's just my nature.

• Options

I guess it sometimes helps to hear others to get things in perspective. I really should and do feel blessed and know my baby is doing good. Thanks :)

• Options
    I am new to these tests, so can I ask what is a quad test and how was it performed?
    Mother to beautiful 7 year old son, and little girl born in July Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor left it up to me and I declined all the screening tests.  It wouldn't have changed anything either way, so I didn't do them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Two things I know it tests for is Down Syndrome and neural- tube defects. I wasn't going to do it this time ( I didn't do it last time) but my OBGYN said if something is woring you can be prepared at the birth if your baby needs anything. I am also on seizure meds so we wanted to also rule out any neural-tube defects like spinal bifida. If it comes back positve then you have an aminocentisis. They preform a blood test for the quad screen test. I can't remember what the other two parts of the test are for. Hope this helps a little. :)
  • Options
    I had the test done. My hubs is 40, I just turned 37...I would of kept baby either outcome...happily negative.  A plus of it was I got an extra u/s too.
    Sunny (37) & Scott (41) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options

I'm having the quad screen done in two weeks.

My doctor brought it up but also gave the strong impression she truly didn't care whether we did it. It was more important to her that we thought through the consequences of bad results -- which could be incorrect -- before deciding. I'm 39 and this is our first.

NT scans are not an option here so this will be our first screening of any kind.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"