Military Families
Options

Fort Polk??

So DH decided to reenlist Big Smile He put in for Fort Polk. Any of you ladies been stationed there? How is it?

Re: Fort Polk??

• Options

We were there for 2 years. It's a very small post. The only thing in town is a walmart, fast food and a few mom and pop restaurants, NO chain restaurants. The closest mall is about 45mins- an hour away as well as any other shopping you would do. They just built a nice new PX, the commissary is old and small but I heard they were going to start on that next. They are getting a Chili's on post, that's huge news for Polk lol

I would recommend living on post, off post is pretty ghetto. Unless you qualify for a new 3-4 bedroom you'll be in older housing but the ones on North fort are cute townhouses, the ones on south fort are a little dingy and apartment style. 

ETA- I'm also from an hour from there so let me know if you need any more questions answered about the post or surrounding area. 

• Options
    DANG... I hated our last post b/c the nearest good mall was 45 mins away. But the town about 20 mins down the road had everything just not the best of everything... looks like I'll be having a talk with DH...ekk
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was at Polk for 3 years. Getting a Chili's on post is a big deal! LOL!

Yeah, even the Target is 45 minutes away. Expect to do a lot of driving.

I worked in town and everything is a bit ghetto. We lived on North Fort and the townhomes there are pretty nice. They also built some new housing right by the main entrance right before we left (about 2.5 years ago now. WOW!), so if you can get in there, they are pretty nice.

The thing I liked about Polk was the people there. Most were very friendly and there's a really good mom's group on post that has a Meetup.com page.

Good luck!

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"