VBAC
Options

new here and a question...

Hi everyone! I have been lurking on TB for some time now, and this is my first post on any of the boards!  DS will be a year old on the 28th of this month, and I'm not pregnant again, but let me give you a short(ish) version of my story...

My dr prepared me I think when I was about 38 weeks along with DS that a c-sec may be a possibility. So I was prepared no matter what. I had an app. @ 40w, 4d, and my cervix was still high, thick and closed. I figured he wasn't descending for some reason (he also never dropped). Doc said my pelvis was a bit on the small side, but he thought I was a good candidate for an induction.  So we scheduled one for later on that week.  I had cervadil inserted overnight and then for a while the next day, as it still hadn't softened it enough. Then came the crazy pitocin, and baby was doing fine until I hit about 4 cm, and his heart rate started dropping. Doc came in and said "well I think we should do the section, as he's not tolerating this labor well and his HR is continuing to drop. How do you guys feel?" My DH and I looked at each other and agreed since we had prepared ourselves that this may happen. I told him "however you can get him out the safest we are fine with." Well the cord was wrapped tightly around his neck which had prevented him from dropping and descending (I assume), and he weighed 9lbs. 4 oz. Not huge, but definately a good size! My doc peeked at me over the curtain and said "um...he NEVER would have fit!" Which I'm not sure if anyone can REALLY determine if he would have or not. 

All in all, my recovery was great, and there were no issues. I would totally be fine with having another c-sec again with the next one, but a tiny part of me would love to feel what's it's like to have a vaginal birth. I brought it up with him @ my last app and he said "I will entertain any thoughts you have as far as a VBAC, but I think you will tend to have big babies, and your pelvis is a bit small." So my question is, what do you ladies think? Does anyone even think that I would be a good candidate for a VBAC?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: new here and a question...

• Options

I think you sound like a good candidate.  Having big babies is not a reason in and of itself to avoid a vaginal birth.  It sounds like it may very well be the cord issue that prevented him from dropping, which (because of the lack of pressure) caused the issues with your body not being as ready to go into labor, etc.  That shouldn't reoccur in other pregnancies.

The entire "wouldn't fit" thing...  most natural birth minded individuals say that your body (except in rare cases or cases where malnutrition or illness has caused a pelvic defect) will not grow a baby that it can't birth.  I had a 8 lb 13 oz baby, and I'm pretty sure that my OB at the time thought similarly to yours about my case.  

Your pelvis goes under changes when you're pg, and it is incredibly difficult to really know what will fit with external examinations, and I don't truly know if a c/s gives the OB the perspective they'd really need either.  Your pelvis has areas that allow it to expand, and hormones released throughout pg increase this flexibility as well.  Then there's the baby's head, which is designed to mold itself to your pelvic opening.  With good baby positioning and utilizing various positions to help out labor and the pushing stage, generally speaking, your baby will be able to be born vaginally.

I'd look at your local ICAN list, or consult other people who have had VBACs or are interested in natural birth practices and see if you can find a VBAC friendly doctor and get their opinion.  IMO, a doctor who already has doubts is going to push you for the c/s and create doubt within you that is going to hurt your overall chances of  a VBAC. 

Welcome, and good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a very, very similar labor story.  You can always try for a VBAC.  A midwife told me that since we've gone through some of the dilation process it might be a little easier the next time.  But you'll want to be very clear with your doctor about his/her policies.  Make sure they will support you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate your input! So maybe there is hope for a VBAC!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagepapagena:

I think you sound like a good candidate.  Having big babies is not a reason in and of itself to avoid a vaginal birth.  It sounds like it may very well be the cord issue that prevented him from dropping, which (because of the lack of pressure) caused the issues with your body not being as ready to go into labor, etc.  That shouldn't reoccur in other pregnancies.

The entire "wouldn't fit" thing...  most natural birth minded individuals say that your body (except in rare cases or cases where malnutrition or illness has caused a pelvic defect) will not grow a baby that it can't birth.  I had a 8 lb 13 oz baby, and I'm pretty sure that my OB at the time thought similarly to yours about my case.  

Your pelvis goes under changes when you're pg, and it is incredibly difficult to really know what will fit with external examinations, and I don't truly know if a c/s gives the OB the perspective they'd really need either.  Your pelvis has areas that allow it to expand, and hormones released throughout pg increase this flexibility as well.  Then there's the baby's head, which is designed to mold itself to your pelvic opening.  With good baby positioning and utilizing various positions to help out labor and the pushing stage, generally speaking, your baby will be able to be born vaginally.

I'd look at your local ICAN list, or consult other people who have had VBACs or are interested in natural birth practices and see if you can find a VBAC friendly doctor and get their opinion.  IMO, a doctor who already has doubts is going to push you for the c/s and create doubt within you that is going to hurt your overall chances of  a VBAC. 

Welcome, and good luck!

This. Definitely a cord issue, not a baby size issue.

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"