Potty Training
Options

Diapers/Pull-Ups while out and about?

So today is our first day, and we plan to stay home for at least the next 3-4 days, but my question is after that, what do you do about going to the store, running errands, etc.?

In your experience, was LO potty-trained enough after just a few days to be able to go out in public with underwear? Or did you do diapers/Pull-Ups for a little while during outings?

It has gone pretty well so far this morning! He had a few accidents but also peed in the potty twice and made it on the potty partially for a bm! He is down for a nap now (with diaper on).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Logan David 03.27.08
Jacob Riley 05.18.09
{Member since 2007}

Re: Diapers/Pull-Ups while out and about?

• Options

Sounds like your morning is going well! Sounds about right for a Day 1 to me. Good for him!

DH and I were just talking about what we were going to do while going out and about. I told him I hadn't thought through the whole potty training thing to where I realized it's going to be a lot harder to go out for awhile. BUT I think it's going to be really important for us to be consistant with her and keep the ball rolling. I think if we put a diaper on her while we are out she may get confused and not understand why she can't have a diaper on whenever she decides she wants one. While it would be much easier and comfortable for me, I think it would hinder her potty training progress.

SO - on our Day 2, we ventured out of the house this morning to church, diaperless. Very risky indeed! I put big girl panties on her and a Gerber diaper cover over them so that at least if she pood it would help contain the mess a little bit... and off we went. She stayed dry. We went right there and back - only gone about an hour and a half - I also asked her constantly if she had to pee - to the point where i was annoying MYself. :)

anyway - that's my thoughts on it. Good luck the rest of today!

DD 4yo DS 1yo
  • Options

We waited until my DD was to the point where she'd tell us 100% of the time if she needed to potty before trusting her in public and the carseat without pullups. I didn't want to deal with the mess and she didn't seem to have confusion switching between panties and pullups. It took about a month for her to train completely to that point @ 25 months.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we didn't do the 3 day PT... but anyhow, we are at the point where she is going potty very consistently with few accidents at home. however she is still in pullups at daycare and when out and about. She went potty at daycare once for the first time on Thursday... I just think she is shy there, but it hasn't stalled her progress at home. In public she will state she wants to potty but when I put our portable potty seat on she doesn't want to go anymore. So I think it's just her comfort level about going in places other than home. I used to think she would get confused about potty at home and pullups in public , but she's not. I think she will go potty in public and daycare when she's ready (sort of how it happened at home too).
  • Options

Once we started PT I refused to put a pull up on DD for any time other than sleeping. It was done partly to keep her from being confused, I guess. This means that we waited forever to venture out to any other place besides a relatives house (although mostly for my sanity. lol)

She has always done great in the car.  She comes w/me to work and I have a 30 minute commute each way so I guess that was the easier part of the whole process.  I was never worried about accidents and she never had one. I put plastic underwear over her panties for about a week and after that just her regular clothes.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We had to go to a birthday dinner for my mom the third day of our potty training, I was super worried bc she had an accident the day before. I put her underwear on and then a pullup over it, so she could still feel if she had an accident. She started to potty and told us she had to go and coincidentally also had her first poop that night at Stonefire Pizza, and told us she had to go. She's been accident free now for over a week.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"