School-Aged Children
Options

Has anyone's dd done cheerleading?

My dd (Kindergartener) is talking about it.  I'm kind of leery...not sure why.  She takes dance now so she would probably like it.  I guess I'm just worried it may be competitive instead of fun.  What have your experiences been like?

Thanks!

Re: Has anyone's dd done cheerleading?

• Options
    SD#1 cheered from K to 5th grade and loved it. SD#3 started this year (5th grade) and really likes it. In my area it doesn't get really competitive till 7th grade. Ask if you can be the "team mom" then you can make sure to bring some fun to the team.
  • Options
    This is our first year. We are in an area where it is competitive from the beginning. My DD is 5 years old and is on a squad of 5 and 6 years old. We currently practice 5-6 times a week with foot ball games one day and competition is coming up on the 14th. At the beginning of the season, they practice 3 times a week with one game a week. She loves it, but it is very exhausting for both her and I. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It depends alot on the league you put her in, and you can ask them ahead of time how many practices/competitions there are.

I cheered for 9 years, and I signed my DD up this year, when she turned 5. It's not super competitive at her age. They practice two times a week, and do one competition, which isn't judged. As they get older it gets a little more competitive, but even then, this league isn't bad. I personally cheered on a VERY competitive competition only squad, and when she's old enough if she was interested in it, I would let her do it too.

My DD is, eh, about it. Some days she loves it, and some days she hates it. We'll see if she keeps it up over the years, but I say if she's interested, why not let her try it out.

Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • Options
    School or allstar?  They are two very different environments.  My DS will be starting cheer in an allstar gym shortly.  I'm just having him take classes for a few months to see if he likes it as much as he thinks he'll like it.  They'll start him with the basics of motions/jumps/tumbling and some very basic stunting.  If he likes it, this coming spring we'll let him join a team. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"