Louisiana Babies

Don't choose Ochsner!

I've never written on an online board before, but after a recent experience I felt compelled to warn others.  My husband's family has gone to Ochsner in New Orleans for generations, so when I found out I was pregnant it seemed logical to go to the one in Baton Rouge.  I went to my regular PCP (also at Ochsner) to confirm the pregnancy and to get advice on what medication is safe during pregnancy.  I was taking Effexor for depression and knew I needed to take something else.  He recommended switching to Paxil.  I never thought twice about it and scheduled an appointment with an OB.  A week later, I met the midwife (because Ochsner doesn't allow you to meet the doctor on the first visit).  The midwife confirmed that Paxil was okay to take during pregnancy.  She also told use that toxoplasmosis was airborn, which it's not, but that's besides the point.  Two weeks later I was scheduled to meet with the actual OB.  She again confirmed Paxil was safe during pregnancy.  On a side note, three of the six doctors in her clinic all work part time (2 days a week) so she said that there was a very small chance she would actually be delivering my baby.  The whole visit gave my husband and I a bad feeling and we asked around to several friends, all of whom recommended Women's.  A month later, for the follow-up, I met with my new OB at Women's.  The first thing she said when I told her I was on Paxil was I had to get off it immediately.  IT IS A CLASS D DRUG!!!  Known to cause heart defects, especially to those who take it during the first trimester (I was taking in for the last 6 weeks of my first trimester). She stated it also can cause withdrawal symptoms if taken in the last trimester.  She stated the Effexor was a better choice than Paxil.  My husband and I were floored.  We felt betrayed, angry, and scared about hte health of our unborn child.  The damage would already have been done because the organs develop during the first trimester.  I can't believe that not only one, but TWO doctors didn't know or say anything about letting a pregnant woman take a class D drug.  We just had our appointment with the new OB yesterday and are still in shock.  We are anxiously awaiting the ultrasound next month to find out if any damage has been done.  I wanted to share our experience to prevent this from happening to anyone else.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Don't choose Ochsner!

• I am so sorry you are having to deal with that during your pregnancy. That is horrible. I am a Paramedic in town and I talk all of my patients out of using Ochsner's ER as well. I have had bad experiences with them as well. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! I hope you are happy with Women's. My dr is Dr. Willet. I reccommed her to everyone I know!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"