Birth Stories
Options

VBAC vs. C-section?

I realize this is a sensitive topic... I'm pregnant with my second child, after an emergency C-section with my first, and I am trying to figure out what my options are for the second birth. Can you ladies chime in with opinions? What should I worry about? Have you gone through VBAC, and if yes, what were the positives/negatives compared to C-section?

Re: VBAC vs. C-section?

• Options

I chose to VBAC after an emergency c-section with my first.  For me, it was something I definitely wanted to do.  I chose a hospital that was extremely VBAC friendly and a provider (I went with a midwife) that I was comfortable with and who supported me-- and had a reputation for being great with VBACs.  I did a TON of research online and via books.  icanonline.org is a great resource.

FWIW, I was also induced at 41 weeks with pitocin with DD (my VBAC baby).  Everything went smoothly and she was born without a problem.  An anesthesiologist and doctor were in house in case I needed an emergency c-section again (my odds were very small). 

Many people don't realize that there are risks with both a VBAC and repeat CS.  Also, the stats that people often quote on sites such as these are incorrect.  So, I'd advise that you do a lot of research and interview doctors/midwives etc. and make the choice that you feel is best for you.

Good luck with your decision!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    I don't know where you are, but you might want to check that your hospital and provider meet the requirements. I live halfway between 2 hospitals. One can VBAC the other can't. My OB doesn't meet the requirements either. That said, I was satisfied with my csection experience and I don't want to VBAC with #2. I'm not sure what happened in your first delivery, but that can change whether or not they feel that a VBAC is a good idea for you. Good luck in whatever you decide!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had an emergency c-section with my DD, and I plan to VBAC this time around. Now, I haven't done it yet, so I can't tell you how it worked out. But I do recommend doing a lot of research and watching "The Business of Being Born." At the end of the day though, I think it's a personal decision. I was heartbroken by my DD's c/s, so I knew if I ever had another baby I wanted to try birth vaginally.

But again, as PP said, you need to check around you. I'm using a midwife and a hospital that's 30 minutes away from me because the OBs/hospitals near me aren't VBAC friendly.

Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • Options
    DS1 turned breech 5 days before my due date so I had a c/s 2 days later. My doctor was talking about VBAC in the OR. When I got pg with DS2 I knew I wanted to try a VBAC. I tacked to my OB and was agreeable to their "rules". Ultimately I was induced with a foley cath and pit. My VBAC was not successful. Xander had the cord wrapped around his neck. He couldn't decend, I never dilated past 7cm (I was at 7 cm for 8 hours) and his heart rate kept dropping. Although my VBAC wasn't successful, I was glad that I tried. My doctor and the hospital staff did everything they could too make my VBAC successful. I never once felt pressured into a c/s. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
  • Options

I had a scheduled c section w/ DS because he was breech.  I had a VBAC with DD.  It was awesome...I really wanted to go into labor on my own and experience it, if that sounds weird.  (With DS I never went into labor.)  I wanted her to pick her own birthday. 

The recovery was a lot easier and less painful compared to the section.  I didn't have to take pain medication so I wasn't so "out of it."  I had a really good experience and glad I did it.  I'd make the same choice again.

Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had an unplanned c-section with DS1 - he was posterior, but no one knew until I had tried pushing him out for 4+ hours. My recovery wasn't bad, but it wasn't the easiest, either. I just had a med-free VBAC about a week ago with DS2 (who was almost 11 lbs - aiee), and even though I had a second-degree tear, recovering has been a LOT easier and faster this time.

If you want to have more than two kids, VBAC is a good option to explore - the more c-sections you have (3+), the higher the chance of complications. ACOG recently came out with a statement about being more supportive of VBAC in general, so you have a bit more leverage arguing your case if you need to, also.

Some good sites: 

www.vbacfacts.com

https://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10212

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I recently found out from the nurse that runs our breastfeeding group that my hospital only allows c-sections for subsequent births.  It's their policy.  I would have to change OB's and move to a further away hospital if I ever wanted to try a VBAC, which would be making it harder on myself since the hospital is already in my city.  Check to see if your provider/hospital even offers you a choice in the matter.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Options

It is a very personal choice. I had #1 c/s due to her being to big and my hips to small. I really wanted to vbac. They said I could if I switch hospitals, he was smaller and Iwent to labor on my own. I switched hospitals, he was almost a 1# smaller and I went into labor a day before my due date. It was picture perfect. I got my meds, and life was good. I felt an uncomfortable pain and they told me to try and sleep it off. Next thing I knew I was being whisked away as his heart rate was low and dropping. Long/Scary story short. I had ruptured. Thanks to the Great Lord above, my baby was was perfect, I was ok, and can have more babies.

I truely know how you feel, I even catch myself still thinking sometimes "maybe next time" but then I remember that moment of intense fear and right after his birth thinking, why did I care about a VBAC? Who cares how they get here, as long as they are HEALTHY. I still have bouts of guilt, thinking that something that I was so stuck on doing (because I wanted to experience it) could have harmed my perfectly healthy beautiful baby boy. Go with what your heart tells you. I prayed long and hard and told him to give me a sign. I feel that the pain was a sign and I wish I would have been more persistent and done the c/s then. Yes it was have still be a c/s but A LOT LESS SCARY!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"