Postpartum Depression
Options

Sudden PPD...is that even possible?

I was directed over here from the 3-6 month board.

Forgive me if this has been addressed, I may have missed it. =)

I am hoping someone can shine some light for me.  I have a post-op appointment Friday (for a surgery post c-sec) and so before I go in sounding like a crazy woman to my OB, I wanted to get some other new mom's advice/experience. (this is my first baby after TTC for 3.5 years)

Let me start by saying that I am generally a happy, passive, easy going person...minus the 1st and 3rd Tri's....ha! ;) Well, I feel like all of the sudden I have PPD.  The first few weeks after giving birth, I was emotional, but who wasn't? I was never sad though, just sensitive. Now, in the past two weeks, the ONLY thing that makes me happy is my son. And to be honest, I feel like I push to be happy around him b/c I don't want my son to feed off of me. My husband (who is fantastic, btw) is on my last nerve, I am crying all the time, having some really bad thoughts, feeling super sad, very moody and just like if it weren't for my DS, I would love to crawl in a hole and never come out.  I have never been depressed before, so I am not even sure if my very STRONG feelings are classified as depression.  I should also add that I went back to work on September 27th after being out for 19 weeks and b/w work, the commute and baby I am feeling overwhelmed....so, maybe that's it?

I hope someone can help me, as it's taken a lot of nerve for me to even ask this and write this post (I've tried to every day since Monday!) HA!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Sudden PPD...is that even possible?

• Options

You are far from sounding like a crazy woman. I would honestly talk to your OB about it. I'm not going to diagnose you and say you have PPD however, your thoughts sound a lot like my did/do. Being a working mom makes it even harder. You should be proud of yourself for making the connection that there might be something wrong, I'm one of those that it took 7 months for me to finally admit that something was right. The sooner you get help, the sooner you start to feel better.

Good luck.

• Options

Yep...gotta say you sound like I did.  I had all the feelings and symptoms but still thought I had to diagnose myself first.  Talk to your dr. when you go for your appt.  It will be ok and they will help, I promise!

It's  all overwhelming at first.  I think mine was more anxiety than depression, but whatever it was, I feel a LOT better now than I did at 5 months.  Your son is precious, too!  Good luck!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Definitely talk to your OB. I know it's hard to talk about. It's overwhelming and scary. Sometimes it makes you feel ashamed or guilty.

The best thing I did was got help. I was so numb inside and now I feel like myself again. Take the help. I have fallen in love with my LO all over again. I only wish I would have asked for help sooner.

Good luck! Take the help. Your LO deserves it and so do you! :-)

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It can develop at any time during the first year after birth, or the first year after weaning.  My PPD developed very quickly after weaning.  VERY SUDDEN.  You sound anything but crazy.  Talk to your OB - and good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks, Ladies!I I went to my appt this morning was was open with the dr. about my recent feelings.  He put me on Prozac (gulp!!) and wants me to come see him every two weeks! Yuck! But I am glad I reached out and was able to face my fears of telling anyone.  I hadn't even mentioned it to my DH until this morning AFTER I left the appt.    Thanks again!
  • Options

Good for you! That's the hardest part, reaching out for help. Hang in there! Be proud of yourself. :-)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Don't feel bad about not telling your DH until after your appt.  Neither did I.  In fact, I had told my boss before I told my DH.  I even got my prescription filed before I told my DH.  I guess admitting it to him made it just that much more real.  But, once I did, it wasn't any big deal.  I'm so glad that you were able to open up and talk to him!  That's a big step.  GL!!!!
  • Options

I'm glad I read your post because I was about to type the same thing almost verbatum.  It started to hit me this weekend when I didn't decorate for Halloween, didn't get DS a costume, canceled lunch plans with a friend and didn't go to an annual Halloween party. I was so far in my hole I didn't even realize there were trick-or-treaters in the neighborhood at all.  SO not like me :(  I make sure to always smile and play with DS, but I know DH can tell something's not right.  DH and I had our first date night in 3 months and I cried on the way there and slept on the way home.  Not exactly romance. 

I guess it's time to call my Dr. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"